Heidi Marie Hjelmeland
Background and activities
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) A call for change from impersonal risk assessment to a relational approach: professionals’ reflections on the national guidelines for suicide prevention in mental health care in Norway. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being. vol. 16 (1).
- (2021) Religion as Meaning-Making Resource in Understanding Suicidal Behavior in Ghana and Uganda. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 12.
- (2020) Substance use and suicide among men in Ghana: A qualitative study. Current Psychology.
- (2020) "Time to try something new" - Professionals` experiences and reflections on suicide prevention in Norway. Crisis.
- (2020) “ … I felt completely stranded”: Liminality and recognition of personhood in the experiences of suicidal women admitted to psychiatric hospital. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being. vol. 15 (1).
- (2019) Reasons for attempting suicide: An exploratory study in Ghana. Transcultural Psychiatry. vol. 56 (1).
- (2019) Societal Reactions to Suicide in Ghana: A Qualitative Study of Experiences of the Bereaved. Crisis.
- (2019) Problematic advice from suicide prevention experts. Ethical Human Psychology and Psychiatry : an International Journal of Critical Inquiry. vol. 20 (2).
- (2019) Epistemological differences in the discussion of the interpersonal theory of suicide: A reply to the response. Death Studies.
- (2019) "If you do not birget [manage] then you don't belong here": a qualitative focus group study on the cultural meanings of suicide among Indigenous Sámi in arctic Norway. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. vol. 78:1565861.
- (2018) ‘Walking a tightrope’: Reflections on police gatekeeping in suicide research in Ghana. International Journal of Social Research Methodology: Theory and Practice. vol. 21 (3).
- (2018) Suicide among men in Ghana: The burden of masculinity. Death Studies. vol. 42 (10).
- (2018) Bedre omsorg, færre selvmord?. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 138 (3).
- (2018) Former suicidal inpatients' experiences of treatment and care in psychiatric wards in Norway. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being. vol. 13:1461514 (1).
- (2018) The emperor's new clothes? A critical look at the interpersonal theory of suicide. Death Studies.
- (2018) To die or not to die: a qualitative study of men's suicidality in Norway. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 18 (1).
- (2018) Cultural responses towards the aftermath of suicide among the Acholi in Northern Uganda. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. vol. 64 (6).
- (2017) Connecting with suicidal patients in psychiatric wards: Therapist challenges. Death Studies. vol. 41 (6).
- (2017) Relational Principles in the Care of Suicidal Inpatients: Experiences of Therapists and Mental Health Nurses. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. vol. 38 (2).
- (2017) Suicide and mental disorders: A discourse of politics, power, and vested interests. Death Studies. vol. 41 (8).