Helge I. Andersson
Background and activities
Area of work
- TEP4156 Viscous flows and boundary layers (autumn course for MSc students)
- TEP4112 Turbulent flows (spring course for MSc students)
- EP8405 Turbulence (for PhD students)
- Member of the PhD committee at Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology (2012 - ?)
- Flow of particle-laden suspensions
- Flow around bluff bodies with focus on complex wake phenomena
- Flows in rotating systems affected by Coriolis forces
- Flows in laminar and turbulent boundary layers
Skills and expertise
- Fluid mechanics of viscous liquids and gases
- Turbulences, including physics of turbulence, simulations, and mathematical modeling
- CFD (computational fluid dynamics)
- M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, NTH, Trondheim 1975
- Dr.Ing. in Fluidmechanics, Dept. of General Sciences, NTH, Trondheim 1982
- Norwegian Water Resources and Electricity Board, Oslo, 1977-1978
- Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTN), Trondheim, 1978-1983
- Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Belgium 1983-1984
- NTH, now NTNU, 1984 – present (Professor from 1985)
- NTNU, Head of Department, Division of Mechanics, Thermo- and Fluiddynamics, 1999-2002
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) An integral model based on slender body theory, with applications to curved rigid fibers. Physics of Fluids. vol. 33 (4).
- (2021) Turbulent channel flow of generalized Newtonian fluids at a low Reynolds number. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 908.
- (2021) Alignment and rotation of spheroids in unsteady vortex flow. Physics of Fluids. vol. 33.
- (2021) Inertial torque on a small spheroid in a stationary uniform flow. Physical Review Fluids. vol. 6.
- (2021) Vortex system around a step cylinder in a turbulent flow field. Physics of Fluids. vol. 33 (4).
- (2020) Role of Transient Characteristics in Fish Trajectory Modeling. Sustainability. vol. 12 (17).
- (2020) Clustering of inertial spheres in evolving Taylor-Green vortex flow. Physics of Fluids. vol. 32 (4).
- (2020) Kinetic energy balance in turbulent particle-laden channel flow. Physics of Fluids. vol. 32 (7).
- (2020) Heat and fluid flow in revolving fluid-particle suspensions with suction. Computational Thermal Sciences. vol. 12 (5).
- (2020) Bow Shock Clustering in Particle-laden Wetted Cylinder Flow. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 130.
- (2020) Diameter ratio effects in the wake flow of single step cylinders. Physics of Fluids. vol. 32.
- (2020) Vortex dislocation mechanisms in the near wake of a step cylinder. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 891.
- (2020) Orientation of inertial spheroids in turbulent Couette–Poiseuille flow with a shear-free wall. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 132.
- (2019) High-order overset grid method for detecting particle impaction on a cylinder in a cross flow. International journal of computational fluid dynamics (Print). vol. 33 (1-2).
- (2019) Forces and torques on a prolate spheroid: low-Reynoldsnumber and attack angle effects. Acta Mechanica. vol. 230 (2).
- (2019) Turbulent wake behind a concave curved cylinder. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 878.
- (2019) Influence of the quiescent core on tracer spheroidal particle dynamics in turbulent channel flow. Journal of turbulence. vol. 20 (7).
- (2019) Preferential orientation of tracer spheroids in turbulent channel flow. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters. vol. 9 (3).
- (2019) Settling tracer spheroids in vertical turbulent channel flows. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 118.
- (2019) On heat transfer in unsteady von Karman flow. Heat Transfer Research. vol. 50 (3).