Background and activities
Area of work
- TEP4156 Viscous flows and boundary layers (autumn course for MSc students)
- TEP4112 Turbulent flows (spring course for MSc students)
- EP8405 Turbulence (for PhD students)
- Member of the PhD committee at Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology (2012 - ?)
- Flow of particle-laden suspensions
- Flow around bluff bodies with focus on complex wake phenomena
- Flows in rotating systems affected by Coriolis forces
- Flows in laminar and turbulent boundary layers
Skills and expertise
- Fluid mechanics of viscous liquids and gases
- Turbulences, including physics of turbulence, simulations, and mathematical modeling
- CFD (computational fluid dynamics)
- M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, NTH, Trondheim 1975
- Dr.Ing. in Fluidmechanics, Dept. of General Sciences, NTH, Trondheim 1982
- Norwegian Water Resources and Electricity Board, Oslo, 1977-1978
- Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTN), Trondheim, 1978-1983
- Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Belgium 1983-1984
- NTH, now NTNU, 1984 – present (Professor from 1985)
- NTNU, Head of Department, Division of Mechanics, Thermo- and Fluiddynamics, 1999-2002
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Numerical investigation of free-stream turbulence effects on the transition-in-wake state of flow past a circular cylinder. Journal of turbulence. vol. 19 (3).
- (2018) Inertial particle impaction on a cylinder in turbulent cross-flow at modest Reynolds numbers. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 111.
- (2018) Treatment of solid objects in the Pencil Code using an immersed boundary method and overset grids. Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics.
- (2018) Forces and torques on a prolate spheroid: low-Reynoldsnumber and attack angle effects. Acta Mechanica.
- (2018) Turbulent wake behind side-by-side flat plates: Computational study of interference effects. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 855.
- (2018) Influences of upstream extensions on flow around a curved cylinder. European journal of mechanics. B, Fluids. vol. 67.
- (2018) Wake behind a concave curved cylinder. Physical Review Fluids. vol. 3 (9).
- (2018) A note on buoyancy effects in von Ka´rma´n flow over a rotating disk. Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik. vol. 69 (113).
- (2018) Heat transfer in generalized vortex flow over a permeable surface. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. vol. 118.
- (2018) Revolving flow of a fluid-particle suspension with suction. Alexandria Engineering Journal. vol. 57 (4).
- (2018) A novel approach to rigid spheroid models in viscous flows using operator splitting methods. arXiv.org.
- (2018) Mean shear versus orientation isotropy: effects on inertialess spheroids’ rotation mode in wall turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 844.
- (2018) Three-dimensional Voronoi analysis of preferential concentration of spheroidal particles in wall turbulence. Physics of fluids. vol. 30 (6).
- (2018) On wall-normal motions of inertial spheroids in vertical turbulent channel flows. Acta Mechanica. vol. 229 (7).
- (2017) Turbulent wake behind a T-shaped plate: Comparison with a cross-shaped plate. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. vol. 65.
- (2017) Flow around an oscillating cylinder: computational issues. Fluid Dynamics Research. vol. 49 (5).
- (2017) Shear flow of a Newtonian fluid over a quiescent generalized Newtonian fluid. Meccanica (Milano. Print). vol. 52 (4-5).
- (2017) On heat transfer in Bo¨dewadt flow. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. vol. 112.
- (2017) Influence of spanwise no-slip boundary conditions on the flow around a cylinder. Computers & Fluids. vol. 156.
- (2017) Antisymmetric vortex interactions in the wake behind a step cylinder. Physics of fluids. vol. 29 (10).