Helge I. Andersson
Background and activities
Area of work
- TEP4156 Viscous flows and boundary layers (autumn course for MSc students)
- TEP4112 Turbulent flows (spring course for MSc students)
- EP8405 Turbulence (for PhD students)
- Member of the PhD committee at Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology (2012 - ?)
- Flow of particle-laden suspensions
- Flow around bluff bodies with focus on complex wake phenomena
- Flows in rotating systems affected by Coriolis forces
- Flows in laminar and turbulent boundary layers
Skills and expertise
- Fluid mechanics of viscous liquids and gases
- Turbulences, including physics of turbulence, simulations, and mathematical modeling
- CFD (computational fluid dynamics)
- M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, NTH, Trondheim 1975
- Dr.Ing. in Fluidmechanics, Dept. of General Sciences, NTH, Trondheim 1982
- Norwegian Water Resources and Electricity Board, Oslo, 1977-1978
- Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTN), Trondheim, 1978-1983
- Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Belgium 1983-1984
- NTH, now NTNU, 1984 – present (Professor from 1985)
- NTNU, Head of Department, Division of Mechanics, Thermo- and Fluiddynamics, 1999-2002
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) The structure of turbulence in rotating rough-channel flows. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. vol. 95.
- (2022) Hybrid nanofluid flow past a stretching/shrinking sheet with thermal radiation and mass transpiration. Zhongguó wùli xuékan. vol. 75.
- (2022) Preferential orientation of tracer spheroids in evolving Taylor-Green vortex flow. Physics of Fluids. vol. 34 (4).
- (2022) Scale-dependent particle clustering in transitional wake flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 940.
- (2022) Computational geometric methods for preferential clustering of particle suspensions. Journal of Computational Physics. vol. 448.
- (2022) Different topologies of natural vortex dislocations in Mode A wake. Physics of Fluids. vol. 34.
- (2021) An integral model based on slender body theory, with applications to curved rigid fibers. Physics of Fluids. vol. 33 (4).
- (2021) Turbulent channel flow of generalized Newtonian fluids at a low Reynolds number. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 908.
- (2021) Effects of shear-thinning rheology on near-wall turbulent structures. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 925.
- (2021) Alignment of slender fibers and thin disks induced by coherent structures of wall turbulence. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 145.
- (2021) Alignment and rotation of spheroids in unsteady vortex flow. Physics of Fluids. vol. 33.
- (2021) Inertial torque on a small spheroid in a stationary uniform flow. Physical Review Fluids. vol. 6.
- (2021) Effects of the quiescent core in turbulent channel flow on transport and clustering of inertial particles. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 140.
- (2021) Clusters and coherent voids in particle-laden wake flow. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 141.
- (2021) Onset of shear-layer instability at the interface of parallel Couette flows. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. vol. 89.
- (2021) Vortex system around a step cylinder in a turbulent flow field. Physics of Fluids. vol. 33 (4).
- (2021) LES and DNS of symmetrically roughened turbulent channel flows. Acta Mechanica. vol. 235.
- (2021) Numerical investigation on the flow around an inclined prolate spheroid. Physics of Fluids. vol. 33 (7).
- (2020) Role of Transient Characteristics in Fish Trajectory Modeling. Sustainability. vol. 12 (17).
- (2020) Clustering of inertial spheres in evolving Taylor-Green vortex flow. Physics of Fluids. vol. 32 (4).