Background and activities
Area of work
- TEP4156 Viscous flows and boundary layers (autumn course for MSc students)
- TEP4112 Turbulent flows (spring course for MSc students)
- EP8405 Turbulence (for PhD students)
- Member of the PhD committee at Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology (2012 - ?)
- Flow of particle-laden suspensions
- Flow around bluff bodies with focus on complex wake phenomena
- Flows in rotating systems affected by Coriolis forces
- Flows in laminar and turbulent boundary layers
Skills and expertise
- Fluid mechanics of viscous liquids and gases
- Turbulences, including physics of turbulence, simulations, and mathematical modeling
- CFD (computational fluid dynamics)
- M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, NTH, Trondheim 1975
- Dr.Ing. in Fluidmechanics, Dept. of General Sciences, NTH, Trondheim 1982
- Norwegian Water Resources and Electricity Board, Oslo, 1977-1978
- Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTN), Trondheim, 1978-1983
- Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Belgium 1983-1984
- NTH, now NTNU, 1984 – present (Professor from 1985)
- NTNU, Head of Department, Division of Mechanics, Thermo- and Fluiddynamics, 1999-2002
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Numerical investigation of free-stream turbulence effects on the transition-in-wake state of flow past a circular cylinder. Journal of turbulence. vol. 19 (3).
- (2018) Influences of upstream extensions on flow around a curved cylinder. European journal of mechanics. B, Fluids. vol. 67.
- (2017) Turbulent wake behind a T-shaped plate: Comparison with a cross-shaped plate. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. vol. 65.
- (2017) Flow around an oscillating cylinder: computational issues. Fluid Dynamics Research. vol. 49 (5).
- (2017) Shear flow of a Newtonian fluid over a quiescent generalized Newtonian fluid. Meccanica (Milano. Print). vol. 52 (4-5).
- (2017) On heat transfer in Bo¨dewadt flow. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. vol. 112.
- (2017) Influence of spanwise no-slip boundary conditions on the flow around a cylinder. Computers & Fluids. vol. 156.
- (2017) Antisymmetric vortex interactions in the wake behind a step cylinder. Physics of fluids. vol. 29 (10).
- (2017) Particle segregation in turbulent Couette-Poiseuille flow with vanishing wall shear. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 98.
- (2017) Preferential particle concentration in wall-bounded turbulence with zero skin friction. Physics of fluids. vol. 29.
- (2017) Turbulent Couette–Poiseuille flow with zero wall shear. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. vol. 63.
- (2017) Dynamics of disk-like particles in turbulent vertical channel flow. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 96.
- (2016) Large-eddy simulation of cross-flow around ship sections. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. vol. 21 (3).
- (2016) Three-dimensional instabilities in oscillatory flow past elliptic cylinders. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 798.
- (2016) Gravity Effects on Fiber Dynamics in Wall Turbulence. Flow Turbulence and Combustion. vol. 97 (4).
- (2016) On fiber behavior in turbulent vertical channel flow. Chemical Engineering Science. vol. 153.
- (2016) Orientation and rotation dynamics of triaxial ellipsoidal tracers in wall turbulence. Physics of fluids. vol. 28 (12).
- (2016) A new Eulerian-Lagrangian agent method to model fish paths in a vertical slot fishway. Ecological Engineering: The Journal of Ecotechnology. vol. 88.
- (2016) Turbulent wake behind two intersecting flat plates. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. vol. 62.
- (2016) On the peculiar structure of a helical wake vortex behind an inclined prolate spheroid. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 801.