Jens Martin Hovem
Background and activities
Professor (Emeritus) in underwater acoustics. Specialist in active and passive sonar underwater communication and navigation and acoustic remote sensing.
Jens M. Hovem (received the Ph.D. degree in communication theory from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, in 1966.
His experience includes two periods at SACLANT Undersea Research Centre (now NATO Undersea Research Centre, NURC) in La Spezia, Italy, as scientist and Division Chief. In 1991 he was appointed professor at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunication at NTNU conducting research and giving coursers in underwater acoustics and signal processing. He has been visiting scientist at Applied Research Laboratories (ARL), The University of Texas at Austin in 1979 and 2002 and to CNRS Laboratoire de Mecanique et d’Acoustique, Marseilles, France in 1998. He is now Professor Emeritus at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunication at NTNU, and also works as an independent as consultant in underwater acoustic. He is the author of the book “Marine Acoustics- The Physics of Sound in Marine Environments” published in 2012 by Peninsula Publishing Los Altos, CA. His main fields of interest are underwater acoustics and signal processing.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Understanding ocean acoustics by eigenray analysis. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 7 (4).
- (2014) Modeling low-frequency anthropogenic noise in the oceans: A comparison of propagation models. Marine Technology Society journal. vol. 48 (2).
- (2013) Linking Acoustic Communications and Network Performance: Integration and Experimentation of an Underwater Acoustic Network. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 38 (4).
- (2013) Evaluating the effect of seismic surveys on fish — the efficacy of different exposure metrics to explain disturbance. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 70 (9).
- (2012) Modeling Propagation of Seismic Airgun Sounds and the Effects on Fish Behavior. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 37 (4).
- (2012) Experimental Assessment of Different Receiver Structures for Underwater Acoustic Communications over Multipath Channels. Sensors. vol. 12 (2).
- (2011) Optimal modal beamforming for spherical microphone arrays. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing. vol. 19 (2).
- (2011) Coherent underwater communication using passive time reversal over multipath channels. Applied Acoustics. vol. 72 (7).
- (2011) A novel probe processing method for underwater communication by passive-phase conjugation. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing.
- (2010) An efficient spread spectrum pulse position modulation scheme for point-to-point underwater acoustic communication. Applied Acoustics. vol. 71 (1).
- (2009) A design for timing pulse acquisition in underwater multipath environments. Electronical Journal of Technical Acoustics.
- (2008) Array pattern synthesis with robustness against manifold vectors uncertainty. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 33 (4).
- (2007) Underwater acoustics: Propagation, devices and systems. Journal of Electroceramics. vol. 19 (4).
- (2006) PlaneRay: An underwater acoustic propagation model using ray tracing and plane wave reflection coefficients (Abstracts). Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 120.
- (2002) Study of Sound propagation over range-dependent and topographic ground by finite difference model. Journal of Sound and Vibration. vol. 256 (5).
- (2002) An acoustic-logging transmission-network model. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 111 (5).
- (2001) Analysis and Processing of received signals in boreholes. Journal of Computational Acoustics. vol. 9 (2).
- (2000) Sound propagation over layered poro-elastic ground using a finite- difference model. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 108.
- (2000) Oscillations of polymeric microbubbles: Effect of the encapsulating shell. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 107 (4).
- (1996) Experimental observation of subharmonic oscillations in Infoson bubbles. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 99 (3).