Background and activities
Johan Sjöblom has been Professor in surface and colloid chemistry and the Head of the Ugelstad Laboratory at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim from January 1st 2002. He was earlier Professor at the University of Bergen during the years from 1988-1999, and Chief Researcher at Statoils R&D Centre in the period 1998-2001. Sjöblom has served as Adjunct Professor of Colloid Chemistry and Materials Science at Clarkson University, Potsdam, New York, and at the Technical University of Helsinki from 1992-1999.
Sjöblom is the editor of 10 books, and the author or coauthor of more than 300 professional papers. He has educated 50 PhD's and 35 MSc's.
Sjöblom is Editor-In-Chief (from 2005) for Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, and previous Editorial Board Member of Colloids and Surfaces during the period 1993-2003. Sjöblom is also a member of the Advisory Board of Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. He is a member of the American Chemical Society, the Norwegian Chemical Society, and the Finnish Chemical Society. He is also elected Member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences and the Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in Finland. Sjöblom received his PhD degree (1982) in physical chemistry from the Åbo Akademi, Finland.
Sjöblom has been an industrial consultant in colloid chemistry since 1980.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Comparing C5Pe and Asphaltenes under Temperature and Pressure Reservoir Conditions Using an Acoustic Wave Sensor. Energy & Fuels.
- (2020) Assessing the Interfacial Activity of Insoluble Asphaltene Layers: Interfacial Rheology versus Interfacial Tension. Langmuir. vol. 36 (49).
- (2020) Demulsification of crude oil emulsions tracked by pulsed field gradient NMR. Part II: Influence of chemical demulsifiers in external AC electric field. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. vol. 586.
- (2020) Interactions between Asphaltenes and a Model Demulsifier in Bulk and at an Interface Studied by Small-Angle Neutron Scattering (SANS) and Neutron Reflectometry. Energy & Fuels. vol. 34 (6).
- (2020) Evaluation of anti-agglomerate hydrate inhibitor in water-in-crude oil emulsions of different water cut. Petroleum science and technology. vol. 38 (19).
- (2020) Coalescence Behavior of Stable Pendent Drop Pairs Held at Different Electric Potentials. Langmuir. vol. 36.
- (2020) Experimental evidence of enhanced adsorption dynamics at liquid-liquid interfaces under electric field. Analytical Chemistry. vol. 92 (19).
- (2020) Absorption of CO2 in lyotropic liquid crystals. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals (MCLC). vol. 703 (1).
- (2020) Influence of Asphaltenes on Gelation of Tetrameric Acid with Calcium Ion at the Oil/Water Interface under Flow-Model Condition. Energy & Fuels. vol. 34 (5).
- (2020) A critical update of experimental techniques of bulk and interfacial components for fluid characterization with relevance to well fluid processing and transport. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. vol. 277.
- (2019) Demulsification of Crude Oil Emulsions Tracked by Pulsed Field Gradient (PFG) Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR). Part I: Chemical Demulsification. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (6).
- (2019) Methodology to calculate interfacial tension under electric field using pendent drop profile analysis. Proceedings of the Royal Society. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. vol. 475 (2225).
- (2019) Shape evolution of a water drop in asphaltene solution under weak DC electric fields. Chemical engineering research & design. vol. 141.
- (2019) Interfacial properties pertinent to W/O and O/W emulsion systems prepared using polyaromatic compounds. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. vol. 575.
- (2019) CO2 in Lyotropic Liquid Crystals: Phase Equilibria Behavior and Rheology. Polymers. vol. 11 (2).
- (2019) Influence of wax inhibitor molecular weight: Fractionation and effect on crystallization of polydisperse waxes. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 41 (8).
- (2019) Inhibitor-wax interactions and PPD effect on wax crystallization: New approaches for GC/MS and NMR, and comparison with DSC, CPM, and rheometry. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 177.
- (2019) Rheological Properties of Gels Formed at the Oil−Water Interface by the Reaction between Tetrameric Acid and Calcium Ion under Flow Conditions and at the Batch Scale. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (34).
- (2019) Electrocoalescence of water in oil emulsions: a DPD simulation study and a novel application of electroporation theory. RSC Advances. vol. 9 (59).
- (2018) Equilibrium Partitioning of Naphthenic Acid Mixture Part 2: Crude Oil-Extracted Naphthenic Acids. Energy & Fuels. vol. 32 (9).