Background and activities
Johan Sjöblom has been Professor in surface and colloid chemistry and the Head of the Ugelstad Laboratory at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim from January 1st 2002. He was earlier Professor at the University of Bergen during the years from 1988-1999, and Chief Researcher at Statoils R&D Centre in the period 1998-2001. Sjöblom has served as Adjunct Professor of Colloid Chemistry and Materials Science at Clarkson University, Potsdam, New York, and at the Technical University of Helsinki from 1992-1999.
Sjöblom is the editor of 10 books, and the author or coauthor of more than 300 professional papers. He has educated 50 PhD's and 35 MSc's.
Sjöblom is Editor-In-Chief (from 2005) for Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, and previous Editorial Board Member of Colloids and Surfaces during the period 1993-2003. Sjöblom is also a member of the Advisory Board of Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. He is a member of the American Chemical Society, the Norwegian Chemical Society, and the Finnish Chemical Society. He is also elected Member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences and the Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in Finland. Sjöblom received his PhD degree (1982) in physical chemistry from the Åbo Akademi, Finland.
Sjöblom has been an industrial consultant in colloid chemistry since 1980.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Demulsification of crude oil emulsions tracked by pulsed field gradient NMR. Part II: Influence of chemical demulsifiers in external AC electric field. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. vol. 586.
- (2019) Demulsification of Crude Oil Emulsions Tracked by Pulsed Field Gradient (PFG) Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR). Part I: Chemical Demulsification. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (6).
- (2019) Methodology to calculate interfacial tension under electric field using pendent drop profile analysis. Proceedings of the Royal Society. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. vol. 475 (2225).
- (2019) Shape evolution of a water drop in asphaltene solution under weak DC electric fields. Chemical engineering research & design. vol. 141.
- (2019) Interfacial properties pertinent to W/O and O/W emulsion systems prepared using polyaromatic compounds. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. vol. 575.
- (2019) CO2 in Lyotropic Liquid Crystals: Phase Equilibria Behavior and Rheology. Polymers. vol. 11 (2).
- (2019) Influence of wax inhibitor molecular weight: Fractionation and effect on crystallization of polydisperse waxes. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology.
- (2019) Inhibitor-wax interactions and PPD effect on wax crystallization: New approaches for GC/MS and NMR, and comparison with DSC, CPM, and rheometry. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 177.
- (2019) Rheological Properties of Gels Formed at the Oil−Water Interface by the Reaction between Tetrameric Acid and Calcium Ion under Flow Conditions and at the Batch Scale. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (34).
- (2019) Electrocoalescence of water in oil emulsions: a DPD simulation study and a novel application of electroporation theory. RSC Advances. vol. 9.
- (2018) Equilibrium Partitioning of Naphthenic Acid Mixture Part 2: Crude Oil-Extracted Naphthenic Acids. Energy & Fuels. vol. 32 (9).
- (2018) Equilibrium Partitioning of Naphthenic Acid Mixture, Part 1: Commercial Naphthenic Acid Mixture. Energy & Fuels. vol. 32 (7).
- (2018) Kinetics of Crystallization of Aqueous Droplets in Water-in-Crude Oil Emulsions at Low Temperatures. Energy & Fuels. vol. 32 (2).
- (2018) Demulsifier assisted film thinning and coalescence in crude oil emulsions under DC electric fields. Chemical engineering research & design. vol. 134.
- (2018) CO2 in Lyotropic Liquid Crystals: Monoethanolamine-Facilitated Uptake and Swelling. Polymers. vol. 10 (8).
- (2018) Asphaltene fractionation based on adsorption onto calcium carbonate: Part 3. Effect of asphaltenes on wax crystallization. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. vol. 554.
- (2018) Development of electrochemical DPD molecular simulations for oil/water partitioning of organic acids at varying pH. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 39 (9).
- (2018) Influence of Fatty-Alkylamine Amphiphile on the Asphaltene Adsorption/Deposition at the Solid/Liquid Interface under Precipitating Conditions. Energy & Fuels. vol. 32 (4).
- (2018) Interaction between asphaltenes and fatty-alkylamine inhibitor in bulk solution. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 39 (2).
- (2018) Synergistic Adsorption of Polyaromatic Compounds on Silica Surfaces Studied by Molecular Dynamics Simulation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. vol. 122 (8).