Background and activities
Jorunn Helbostad is Head of Department at Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science at Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences. She is currently coordinating the EU project PreventIT, which is a personalsied health and ICT project aimed at prevent functional dcline at old age. She is also principle investigator for a project financed by the Norwegian Resarch Council aimed at assessing and intervening on fall risk at olde age by use of body worn sensors.
- Master in Physiotherapy,1998
- PhD in Medicine, 2004
- Movement disorders and falls at old age
- Measurement and interventions related to balancee, gait and physical activity
- Development of mobile health technology solutions for promotion of movement
- PreventIT: EU, ICT and personalised heath project aimed at preventing functional decline in young older adults.
- ADAPT: FriBioMed project financed by the Norwegain Research Council, aimed at developing a health application for assessment and intervention of fall risk at old age.
- ProFouND: EU, ICT. Implementation of falls prevention in clinical practice.
- Hip fractures: Treatment and rehabilitation following hip fractures.
- Generation 100: Population based RCT among people 70-77 assessing the effect of physical exercise on cardiovascular disease, mortality, and on health outcomes related to functional fitness. ; fysisk trening for primært å utsette hjertekarsykdom og død, og sekundært for å bedre fungering i hverdagen
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) A physical activity reference data-set recorded from older adults using body-worn inertial sensors and video technology?The ADAPT study data-set. Sensors. vol. 17 (3).
- (2017) The Association Between Gait Characteristics and Ambulatory Psysical Activity in Older People: A Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Observational Study Using Generation 100 Data. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. vol. 25 (1).
- (2017) Interrater and test-retest reliability and validity of the Norwegian version of the BESTest and mini-BESTest in people with increased risk of falling. BMC Geriatrics. vol. 17 (92).
- (2017) Mobile health applications to promote active and healthy ageing. Sensors. vol. 17 (3:622).
- (2017) Cardiorespiratory Reference Data in Older Adults: The Generation 100 Study. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. vol. 4 (11).
- (2016) Performance Evaluation of State of the Art Systems for Psysical Activity Classification of Older Subjects Using Inertial Sensors in a Real Life Scenario: A Benchmark Study. Sensors. vol. 16.
- (2016) Poor Gait Performance and Prediction of Dementia: Results From a Meta-Analysis. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. vol. 17 (6).
- (2016) Association between falls and brain subvolumes: results from a cross-sectional analysis in healthy older adults. Brain Topography. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2016) Video analysis validation of a real-time physical activity detection algorithm based on a single waist mounted tri-axial accelerometer sensor. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference Proceedings. vol. 2016-October.
- (2016) Validation of the activPAL3 for Measurement of Physical Activity in Older Adults in a Semi-Structured Protocol Using Video Analysis. Gait & Posture. vol. 49 (128).
- (2016) Fall detection algorithms for real-world falls harvested from lumbar sensors in the elderly population: A machine learning approach. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference Proceedings. vol. 2016-October.
- (2016) Treadmill Training or Progressive Strength Training to Improve Walking in People with Multiple Sclerosis? A Randomized Parallel Group Trial. Physiotherapy Research International. vol. 21 (4).
- (2016) Stakeholder Attitudes Toward and Values Embedded in a Sensor-Enhanced Personal Emergency Response System. Interacting with computers. vol. 28 (5).
- (2016) Fatigue may contribute to reduced physical activity among older people: an observational study. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. vol. 71 (5).
- (2016) Fatigue Alters the Pattern of Physical Activity Behavior in Older Adults: Observational Analysis of Data from the Generation 100 Study. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. vol. 24 (4).
- (2016) Long-Term Effects of Individually Tailored Physical Training and Activity on Physical Function, Well-Being and Cognition in Scandinavian Nursing Home Residents: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Gerontology. vol. 62 (6).
- (2016) Towards holistic free-living assessment in Parkinson's disease: Unification of gait and fall algorithms with a single accelerometer. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference Proceedings. vol. 2016-October.
- (2016) One-year health and care costs after hip fracture for home-dwelling elderly patients in Norway: Results from the Trondheim Hip Fracture Trial. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. vol. 44 (8).
- (2016) A comparison study of local dynamic stability measures of daily life walking in older adult community-dwelling fallers and non-fallers. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 49 (9).
- (2016) The complexity of daily life walking in older adult community-dwelling fallers and non-fallers. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 49 (9).