Background and activities
Karin Roeleveld is Professor at the Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science and member of the research group Geriatrics, Movement and Stroke (GeMS). She is study program leader for the Master in Human Movement Science. She is part of the leader group of the WE-studien, a placebo-controlled multicenter clinical trial on the effect of injections with Botulinum toxin A (Botox) on walking in children with Cerebral Palsy.
- Master in Human Movement Science, VU Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1992
- PhD in Medical Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1997
- Neuromuscular control and physiology
- Measurement and analyses of human movement and muscle activation
- Prevention and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal disorders
- Different teaching activities for Bachelor and Master of Human Movement Science
- Course coordinator for BEV2008 - Fitness and Performance Assessment
- Course coordinator for BEV3004 - Signal Analysis and Measurement in the Laboratory
- Course coordinator for BEV3901 - Thesis in Movement Science
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Reduced muscle activity variability in lumbar extensor muscles during sustained sitting in individuals with chronic low back pain. PLoS ONE. vol. 14 (3).
- (2018) Physiological responses during clinical spasticity evaluation in elbow flexors in children with cerebral palsy. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice.
- (2018) Lower limb muscle fatigue during walking in children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 61 (2).
- (2017) Reliability of gait speed in children - effects of instruction, distance and age. Gait & Posture.
- (2017) The WE-Study: does botulinum toxin A make walking easier in children with cerebral palsy?: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. vol. 18:58.
- (2017) Increased gait variability during 5-min walking in children with cerebral palsy (CP) detected with on the feet placed accelerometers. Gait & Posture. vol. 7.
- (2017) Short-TERM Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation Training of the Tibialis Anterior Did Not Improve Strength and Motor Function in Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy Patients. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. vol. 96 (4).
- (2017) European consensus on the concepts and measurement of the pathophysiological neuromuscular responses to passive muscle stretch. European Journal of Neurology. vol. 24 (7).
- (2016) The use of activity monitors for the estimation of energy expenditure during walking in children with cerebral palsy. Gait & Posture. vol. 49.
- (2016) Micro movements of the upper limb in fibromyalgia: The relation to proprioceptive accuracy and visual feedback. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 26.
- (2016) Identification of physical behavior in children. Do we need age-specific classification algorithms?. Gait & Posture. vol. 49.
- (2015) Aerobic and cardiovascular autonomic adaptations to moderate intensity endurance exercise in patients with fibromyalgia. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 47 (7).
- (2015) Postural strategy and trunk muscle activation during prolonged standing in chronic low back pain patients. Gait & Posture. vol. 42 (4).
- (2014) Effect of neuromuscular electrical stimulation intensity over the tibial nerve trunk on triceps surae muscle fatigue. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 114 (2).
- (2014) Alternating activation is related to fatigue in lumbar muscles during sustained sitting. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 24 (3).
- (2013) Involuntary and voluntary muscle activation in children with unilateral cerebral palsy – Relationship to upper limb activity. European journal of paediatric neurology. vol. 17 (3).
- (2013) Fatigue and muscle activation during submaximal elbow flexion in children with cerebral palsy. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 23 (3).
- (2012) Upper limb position control in fibromyalgia. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 13 (186).
- (2012) The role of co-activation in strength and force modulation in the elbow of children with unilateral cerebral palsy. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 22 (1).
- (2012) Effectiveness of resistance training in combination with botulinum toxin-A on hand and arm use in children with cerebral palsy: a pre-post intervention study. BMC Pediatrics. vol. July / 12 (2).