Background and activities
Kaveh Niayesh (1971) is a Professor at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. He has a BSc and a MSc in Electrical Engineering from the University of Tehran, Iran and a PhD also in Electrical Engineering from RWTH University, Aachen, Germany. Professor Niayesh belongs to the research group for Electric Power Technology.
· Current interruption in high voltage circuit breakers (vacuum and gas circuit breakers)
· New technologies for Current interruption and limitation in power networks
· Diagnostic and condition assessment of circuit breakers
· Pulsed Power technology
· High voltage and High current test and measurement techniques
· 2015- Professor, NTNU, Dept. of Electric Power Engineering
· 2014-2015 Principal engineer, ABB Medium Voltage, Ratingen, Germany
· 2009-2014 Associate Professor, University of Teheran, Iran
· 2012-2014 Sabbatical leave, Alexander von Humboldt experienced scientist, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany
· 2008 Manager, Basic Research, AREVA T&D, Regensburg, Germany
· 2005-2008 Assistant Professor, University of Teheran, Iran
· 2003-2005 Principal Scientist, ABB Corporate Research, Baden -Dättwil, Switzerland
· 2001-2003 Scientist, ABB Corporate Research, Baden – Dättwil, Switzerland
· 1997-2001 Research assistant, Institut für Allgemeine Elektrotechnik und Hochspannungstechnik, RWTH – Aachen, Germany
· Head of Power Engineering Department, University of Tehran, Iran (01.2010 – 06.2012)
· IEEE Senior Member (since Nov. 2008)
· Member of International Society on Pulsed Power Applications
· Member of editorial board, International Journal of Electric Power Generation, Transmission and distribution Researches
· Member of editorial board, Journal of applied electromagnetic (in Persian)
Professor Niayesh has over 90 publications, and 13 patents.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Medium voltage load current interruption in presence of ablating polymer material. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery.
- (2017) Verification of a numerical MHD arc model for high voltage circuit breakers using experimental images. Magnetohydrodynamics. vol. 53 (3).
- (2017) Arc voltage characteristics in ultrahigh-pressure nitrogen including supercritical region. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. vol. 46 (1).
- (2017) Online Condition Assessment of Interruption Chamber of Gas Circuit Breakers Using Arc Voltage Measurement. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 32 (4).
- (2017) Power swithching Components : theory, Applications and future trends. Springer. 2017. ISBN 978-3-319-51459-8. Power Systems.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Experimental investigation on ablation-assisted current interruption - Experimental setup and preliminary results. 28th International Conference on Electric Contacts ICEC2016.