Background and activities
Kaveh Niayesh (1971) is a Professor at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. He has a BSc and an MSc in Electrical Engineering from the University of Tehran, Iran, and a Ph.D. also in Electrical Engineering from RWTH University, Aachen, Germany. Professor Niayesh belongs to the research group for High Voltage Technology.
His research interests are mainly in the broad field of high voltage and switchgear technology; specifically on current interruption in power switching devices in AC and DC power networks, new materials for high voltage insulation and for high current interruption, Breakdown and aging behavior of insulation materials exposed to HVDC and repetitive fast impulses, Diagnostic and condition assessment of power switchgear as well as High voltage and High current test and measurement techniques.
- 2015- Professor, NTNU, Dept. of Electric Power Engineering
- 2014-2015 Principal engineer, ABB Medium Voltage, Ratingen, Germany
- 2009-2014 Associate Professor, University of Teheran, Iran
- 2012-2014 Sabbatical leave, Alexander von Humboldt experienced scientist, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany
- 2008 Manager, Basic Research Department, AREVA T&D, Regensburg, Germany
- 2005-2008 Assistant Professor, University of Teheran, Iran
- 2003-2005 Principal Scientist, ABB Corporate Research, Baden -Dättwil, Switzerland
- 2001-2003 Scientist, ABB Corporate Research, Baden – Dättwil, Switzerland
- 1997-2001 Research assistant, Institut für Allgemeine Elektrotechnik und Hochspannungstechnik, RWTH – Aachen, Germany
- Editor, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery
- Vice chair of IEEE Norway section (since 01.2016)
- IEEE Senior Member ( since Nov. 2008)
- Technical Advisor, NUVENTURA (since Oct. 2017)
- Head of Power Engineering Department, University of Tehran, Iran (01.2010 – 06.2012)
- Member of International Society on Pulsed Power Applications
- Member of the editorial board, International Journal of Electric Power Generation, Transmission and distribution Researches
- Member of the editorial board, Journal of applied electromagnetic (in Persian)
Professor Niayesh has over 120 publications and 14 patents.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Nozzle Wear and Pressure Rise in Heating Volume of Self-blast Type Ultra-high Pressure Nitrogen Arc. Plasma Physics and Technology. vol. 6 (1).
- (2019) Two-way Interaction between Switching Arc and Solid Surfaces: Distribution of Ablated contact and Nozzle Materials. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. vol. 52 (40).
- (2019) Solid-State High-Voltage Pulse Generator for Low Temperature Plasma Ion Mobility Spectrometry. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. vol. 47 (3).
- (2019) Self-blast current interruption and adaption to medium voltage load current switching. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 34 (6).
- (2018) Ultrahigh-pressure nitrogen arcs burning inside cylindrical tubes. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. vol. 47 (1).
- (2018) Comparative study on various dielectric barriers and their effect on breakdown voltage. High Voltage. vol. 3 (1).
- (2018) Online Assessment of Contact Erosion in High Voltage Gas Circuit Breakers based on different Physical Quantities. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery.
- (2018) A Probabilistic Model-aided Failure Prediction Approach for Spring-Type Operating Mechanism of High Voltage Circuit Breakers. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 34 (4).
- (2018) Medium-voltage load current interruption in the presence of ablating polymer material. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 33 (5).
- (2017) Verification of a numerical MHD arc model for high voltage circuit breakers using experimental images. Magnetohydrodynamics. vol. 53 (3).
- (2017) Arc voltage characteristics in ultrahigh-pressure nitrogen including supercritical region. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. vol. 46 (1).
- (2017) Online Condition Assessment of Interruption Chamber of Gas Circuit Breakers Using Arc Voltage Measurement. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 32 (4).
- (2017) Power swithching Components : theory, Applications and future trends. Springer. 2017. ISBN 978-3-319-51459-8. Power Systems.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Arc Voltage Distribution Measurement in Tube Constricted Ultrahigh-Pressure Nitrogen Arc. Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering.
- (2020) Thermal interruption performance of ultrahigh-pressure free-burning nitrogen arc. Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering.
- (2019) Post-arc Dielectric Recovery Characteristics of Free-burning Ultrahigh-Pressure Nitrogen Arc. 2019 5th International Conference on Electric Power Equipment - Switching Technology - ICEPE-ST 2019.
- (2018) Arc voltage measurements of ultrahigh pressure nitrogen Arcs in cylindrical tubes. Proceedings of the XXIInd International Conference on Gas Discharges and their Applications, 2nd-7nd September 2018, Novi Sad, Serbia.
- (2018) A novel arrangement for improving three phase saturated-core fault current limiter (SCFCL). 2018 IEEE Texas Power and Energy Conference TPEC.
- (2018) Influence of Surface Roughness on Breakdown in Air Gaps at Atmospheric Pressure under Lightning Impulse. 2018 IEEE International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Application - ICHVE 2018.
- (2018) Short-Circuit making of medium voltage load break switches using a grid Connected test circuit. 2018 IEEE International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Application - ICHVE 2018.