Background and activities
Kjetil Uhlen (1961) is a Professor at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. He is head of the Power Systems research group. Professor Uhlen has a PhD and a MSc in Control Engineering from NTNU.
- 2009- Professor, Electrical Power Systems, NTNU
- 2003-2009 Senior Research Scientist, SINTEF Energy Research
- 1996-2002 Research Scientist, SINTEF Energy Research
- 1987-1995 Research Scientist, The Norwegian Electric Power Research Institute (EFI)
Membership in Professional Societies
- IEEE; The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- TEKNA: The Norwegian Association of Chartered Engineers
Committees and Task Forces
- Co-editor of IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
- International Energy Agency (IEA) Implementing Agreement on Electricity Networks Analysis, Research & Development (ENARD). Operating Agent and coordinator of Annex IV:- Transmission Systems (2009-2012).
- Norwegian member of CIGRE Study Committee C4, “System technical performance” (2004-2012). Convenor of Advisory Group C4.6 “Power system security assessment” (2004-2010).
- Cigre Working Group WG C4.601: ”Power system security assessment”. Member of WG (2004 - 2010).
- Cigre Task Force TF 38.02.23: ”Coordinated Voltage Control in transmission Networks”. Member of TF (2000-2004).
- Cigre Task Force TF 38.02.16: ”Impact on interaction among power system controls”. Member of TF (1997-2000).
- IEEE PES Power Systems Stability Subcommittee
- International Energy Agency (IEA) R&D Wind programme: Member of Task VIII: Study of decentralised applications for wind energy (1987 - 1991).
Recent Selected Projects
2009 - 2012 IEA Enard Annex IV “Transmission Systems”
Role: Operating Agent
Client: IEA Implementing Agreement on Electricity Networks Analysis, Research and Development (Enard).
2009- NOWITECH – Norwegian Research Centre for Offshore Wind Technology
Role: Work package leader and member of centre management
Client: Research Centre financed by the Research Council of Norway together with Norwegian and Danish wind industry and power companies.
2011- STRONg2rid – Smart Transmission Grid Operation and Control
Role: Project coordinator
Client: Nordic research project financed by Nordic Energy Research and the Nordic TSOs. With participation from the Nordic Universities (Aalto, DTU, KTH, Univ. of Iceland and NTNU) and the Nordic TSOs (Statnett, Svenska Kraftnãt, Fingrid and Landsnet).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Non-intrusive identification of hydro power plants' dynamics using control system measurements. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 122.
- (2020) Transmission Loss Minimization Using Artificial Intelligent Algorithm for Nordic44 Network Model based on Hourly Load Variation. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2020) Variabel hastighet i kraftverk. Energiteknikk : fagbladet for energibransjen. vol. 133 (2).
- (2020) Variable Speed Hydropower Conversion and Control. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. 35 (1).
- (2019) Optimal Operation of Battery Storage for a Subscribed Capacity-Based Power Tariff Prosumer—A Norwegian Case Study. Energies. vol. 12 (23).
- (2019) Testing of a hydropower plant’s stability and performance using PMU and control system data in closed loop. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 13 (23).
- (2019) Detecting instant of multiple faults on the transmission line and its types using time-frequency analysis. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 13 (22).
- (2018) Development of a test system for identification of turbine dynamics using the dc power flow. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (2).
- (2018) Closest security boundary for improving oscillation damping through generation redispatch using eigenvalue sensitivities. Electric power systems research. vol. 160.
- (2018) Estimation of Power System. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- (2017) Signal processing for time-frequency representation of synchro-phasor data. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 11 (16).
- (2017) Event Detection and its Signal Characterization in PMU Data Stream. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics. vol. 13 (6).
- (2017) Identification of coherency and critical generators set in real-time signal. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 11 (18).
- (2017) Impact of hydro-turbine and governor parameters on stability of grid connected power system. International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics. vol. 9 (2).
- (2016) Estimation of hydro turbine-governor system's transfer function from PMU measurements. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting. vol. 2016-November.
- (2016) Coordinated Converter Control Strategy in Hybrid AC/DC Power Systems for System Frequency Support. Energy Procedia. vol. 94.
- (2016) Model Predictive Load-Frequency Control. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 31 (1).
- (2016) Model predictive load–frequency control taking into account imbalance uncertainty. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 53.
- (2016) Analytical techniques and tools for power balancing assessments. Cigre Science & Engineering. vol. April (285).
- (2015) Integrated modelling platform for dynamic performance assessment of floating wind turbines. Energy Procedia. vol. 80.