Background and activities
Research Scientist at Centre of Myeloma Research the Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine.
My research group studies a blood cancer called Multiple Myeloma, a cancer arising in the antibody producing plasma cells in the bone marrow. This cancer is a relatively rare cancer diagnosed in approximately 400 people each year in Norway. Unfortunately, this cancer can be quite aggressive, and multiple myeloma is still an incurable disease, although the introduction of new drugs the two last decades have increased the median survivalfrom 3 to 6 years. Drug resistance is a major and unsolved problem in myeloma. The primary focus of our research is to understand the genetic and molecular events that occur from the time of diagnosis and to the development of a tumor later in the disease stage which is refractory to therapy. We use novel methods, such as next-generation sequencing (NGS) analysis of both tumor cells and cell free DNA, as well as well-established cell biology methods.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Intracellular IL-32 regulates mitochondrial metabolism, proliferation, and differentiation of malignant plasma cells. iScience.
- (2021) Phosphatase of Regenerating Liver-3 Regulates Cancer Cell Metabolism in Multiple Myeloma. The FASEB Journal.
- (2021) TAK1-inhibitors are cytotoxic for multiple myeloma cells alone and in combination with melphalan. OncoTarget. vol. 12 (21).
- (2021) Bystander memory T cells and IMiD/checkpoint therapy in multiple myeloma: A dangerous tango?. Frontiers in Immunology. vol. 12:636375.
- (2020) Monoclonal immunoglobulins promote bone loss in multiple myeloma. Blood.
- (2020) Conversion of ATP to adenosine by CD39 and CD73 in multiple myeloma can be successfully targeted together with adenosine receptor A2A blockade. Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer (JITC).
- (2019) MYC dysregulation in the progression of multiple myeloma. Leukemia. vol. 36 (1).
- (2019) Stability and uniqueness of clonal immunoglobulin CDR3 sequences for MRD tracking in multiple myeloma. American Journal of Hematology. vol. 94 (12).
- (2018) Whole-Exome and mRNA Sequencing of Multiple Myeloma Reveal Transformation to a More High-Risk and Proliferative Tumor at Relapse. Blood.
- (2018) BMPR2 inhibits activin and BMP signaling via wild-type ALK2. Journal of Cell Science. vol. 131 (11).
- (2018) Anti-Cancer Potential of Homemade Fresh Garlic Extract Is Related to Increased Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress. Nutrients. vol. 10 (4).
- (2017) Monitoring multiple myeloma by quantification of recurrent mutations in serum. Haematologica. vol. 102 (7).
- (2017) Cytotoxic Effect on Human Myeloma Cells and Leukemic Cells by the Agaricus blazei Murill Based Mushroom Extract, Andosan™. BioMed Research International. vol. 2017.
- (2017) Hypoxia promotes IL-32 expression in myeloma cells, and high expression is associated with poor survival and bone loss. Blood Advances. vol. 27 (1).
- (2016) Src family kinases are regulated in multiple myeloma cells by phosphatase of regenerating liver-3. Molecular Cancer Research. vol. 15 (1).
- (2016) Hydroxychloroquine potentiates carfilzomib toxicity towards myeloma cells. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (43).
- (2016) Complementary Activation of CCND, MYC, RAS and NFkB by Mutations in Multiple Myeloma. Blood. vol. 128 (22).
- (2016) The phosphatase of regenerating liver-3 (PRL-3) is importantfor IL-6-mediated survival of myeloma cells. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (19).
- (2016) Intracellular glutathione determines bortezomib cytotoxicity in multiple myeloma cells. Blood Cancer Journal.
- (2016) Erythropoietin (EPO)-receptor signaling induces cell death of primary myeloma cells in vitro. Journal of Hematology & Oncology. vol. 9 (75).