Background and activities
Research Scientist at Centre of Myeloma Research the Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine.
My research group studies a blood cancer called Multiple Myeloma, a cancer arising in the antibody producing plasma cells in the bone marrow. This cancer is a relatively rare cancer diagnosed in approximately 400 people each year in Norway. Unfortunately, this cancer can be quite aggressive, and multiple myeloma is still an incurable disease, although the introduction of new drugs the two last decades have increased the median survivalfrom 3 to 6 years. Drug resistance is a major and unsolved problem in myeloma. The primary focus of our research is to understand the genetic and molecular events that occur from the time of diagnosis and to the development of a tumor later in the disease stage which is refractory to therapy. We use novel methods, such as next-generation sequencing (NGS) analysis of both tumor cells and cell free DNA, as well as well-established cell biology methods.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) MYC dysregulation in the progression of multiple myeloma. Leukemia. vol. 36 (1).
- (2019) Stability and uniqueness of clonal immunoglobulin CDR3 sequences for MRD tracking in multiple myeloma. American Journal of Hematology. vol. 94 (12).
- (2018) Whole-Exome and mRNA Sequencing of Multiple Myeloma Reveal Transformation to a More High-Risk and Proliferative Tumor at Relapse. Blood.
- (2018) BMPR2 inhibits activin and BMP signaling via wild-type ALK2. Journal of Cell Science. vol. 131 (11).
- (2018) Anti-Cancer Potential of Homemade Fresh Garlic Extract Is Related to Increased Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress. Nutrients. vol. 10 (4).
- (2017) Monitoring multiple myeloma by quantification of recurrent mutations in serum. Haematologica. vol. 102 (7).
- (2017) Cytotoxic Effect on Human Myeloma Cells and Leukemic Cells by the Agaricus blazei Murill Based Mushroom Extract, Andosan™. BioMed Research International. vol. 2017.
- (2017) Hypoxia promotes IL-32 expression in myeloma cells, and high expression is associated with poor survival and bone loss. Blood Advances. vol. 27 (1).
- (2016) Src family kinases are regulated in multiple myeloma cells by phosphatase of regenerating liver-3. Molecular Cancer Research. vol. 15 (1).
- (2016) Hydroxychloroquine potentiates carfilzomib toxicity towards myeloma cells. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (43).
- (2016) Complementary Activation of CCND, MYC, RAS and NFkB by Mutations in Multiple Myeloma. Blood. vol. 128 (22).
- (2016) The phosphatase of regenerating liver-3 (PRL-3) is importantfor IL-6-mediated survival of myeloma cells. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (19).
- (2016) Intracellular glutathione determines bortezomib cytotoxicity in multiple myeloma cells. Blood Cancer Journal.
- (2016) Erythropoietin (EPO)-receptor signaling induces cell death of primary myeloma cells in vitro. Journal of Hematology & Oncology. vol. 9 (75).
- (2015) The natural compound forskolin synergizes with dexamethasone to induce cell death in myeloma cells via BIM. Scientific Reports. vol. 5:13001.
- (2015) MYC amplifications in myeloma cell lines: Correlation with MYC-inhibitor efficacy. OncoTarget. vol. 6 (26).
- (2015) The marine n-3 PUFA DHA evokes cytoprotection against oxidative stress and protein misfolding by inducing autophagy and NFE2L2 in human retinal pigment epithelial cells. Autophagy. vol. 11 (9).
- (2015) Chloroquine potentiates Carfilzomib but not Bortezomib effects on myeloma cells. Cancer Research.
- (2015) Detection and Monitoring of BRAF and NRAS Mutant Clones in Myeloma Patients By Digital PCR of Circulating DNA. Blood. vol. 126 (23).
- (2015) BRAF V600E mutation in early-stage multiple myeloma: good response to broad acting drugs and no relation to prognosis. Blood Cancer Journal. vol. 5:e299 (3).