Background and activities
Lars Hansson is Associate Professor at the Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering.
Hansson has a MSc in Engineering Physics, and a PhD on the subject Wood Physics from the Luleå University of Technology, Sweden.
Fields of interest and present research activities
My research has been focused on a new unique equipment; a CT scanner in combination with a climate chamber. By using X-ray computed tomography, non-destructive studies of internal or surface checking has been performed.
Furthermore, physical properties of wood, especially moisture related properties and how these are affected by drying and heat treatment has also been studied by me. Since the measurement result from the CT scanner is density images I have been working with developing image processing methods to calculate density variations and thus particularly suitable for in situ studies of moisture flow in wood during drying and heat treatment. I have also been working in a small multiphysics simulation research project to make simulation models for two different microwave scanners.
On behalf of the wood industry I have done two projects with the purpose to improve the drying and heat treatment process respectively.
Planned research in the field of wood physics is to further develop image processing tools to monitor the dimensional changes during the drying and heat treatment process. Also further collaboration project with the wood industry and other research groups.
Recent Work Experience
2017- Associate Professor, Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering, Graduate and undergraduate teaching
2015- Associate Professor 20%, Department of Engineering Sciences and Mathematics, Wood Science and Engineering, Luleå University of Technology (LTU), Research.
- 2012-2017 Associate Professor, Dept of ICT and Natural Sciences (previously Høyskolen i Ålesund), Graduate and undergraduate teaching
- 2013-2014 Associate Professor, Luleå University of Technology
- 2011-2013 Associate senior lecturerer, Luleå University of Technology
- 2010-2011 Postdoctoral research fellow, Luleå University og Technology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The conditioning regime in industrial drying of Scots pine sawn timber studied by X-ray computed tomography - A case-study. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. vol. 78.
- (2020) Flammability and Tribological Properties of Pine Sapwood, Reinforced with Sodium Metasilicate and Non-food Oil. 9th International Conference on Wood & Fire Safety 2020 (WFS 2020) ; 2020-05-03 - 2020-05-06.
- (2020) Acrylate–gelatin–carbonated hydroxyapatite (cHAP) composites for dental bone-tissue applications. Materials Advances.
- (2019) Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for measuring moisture content in wood – Is it possible?. 21st International Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood Symposium, Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, September 24–27 ; 2019-09-24 - 2019-09-27.
- (2019) Real-time wood moisture-content determination using dual-energy X-ray computed tomography scanning. Wood Material Science & Engineering. vol. 14 (6).
- (2018) CT-scanning of the drying process of Eucalyptus nitens. IDS’2018 – 21st International Drying Symposium ; 2018-09-11 - 2018-09-14.
- (2018) CT-STUDIES OF THE CONDITIONING PHASE OF THE WOOD DRYING PROCESS. IDS’2018 – 21st International Drying Symposium ; 2018-09-11 - 2018-09-14.
- (2017) CT Scanning of Capillary Phenomena in Bio-Based Materials. Pro Ligno. vol. 13 (4).
- (2017) Estimation of shrinkage coefficients in radial and tangential directions from CT images. Wood Material Science & Engineering. vol. 12 (4).
- (2017) CT SCANNING OF CAPILLARY PHENOMENA IN BIO-BASED MATERIALS. The 11th International Conference “WOOD SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING IN THE THIRD MILLENNIUM” ; 2017-11-02 - 2017-11-04.
- (2016) In situ CT-scanning for detection of internal checking and cell collapse during drying of hardwood species. The 7th European Conference on Hardwood, Eco-efficient resource wood with special focus on hardwoods ; 2016-09-08 - 2016-09-09.
- (2016) The use of X-ray computed tomography in timber construction. New Horizons for the Forest Products Industry: 70th Forest Products Society International Convention ; Portland, Oregon. 2016-06-26 - 2019-06-26.
- (2016) In Situ CT-Scanning of Checking and Collapse Behaviour of Eucalyptus nitens During Drying. The 59th International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology ; 2016-03-06 - 2016-03-10.
- (2013) Distribution of preservatives in thermally modified Scots pine and Norway spruce sapwood. Wood Science and Technology. vol. 47 (3).
- (2013) Evaluation of preservative distribution in thermally modified European aspen and birch boards using computed tomography and scanning electron microscopy. Journal of Wood Science. vol. 59 (1).
- (2013) Wood shrinkage coefficient and dry weight moisture content estimations from CT-images. Pro Ligno. vol. 9 (4).
- (2012) Determination of wood moisture properties using CT-scanner in a controlled high-temperature environment. Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture. vol. 6 (3).
- (2012) Determination of wood moisture properties using a CT-scanner in a controlled low-temperature environment. Wood Material Science & Engineering. vol. 7 (2).
- (2012) Effects on microwave measurements and simulations when collecting data close to edges of wooden boards. Measurement (London). vol. 45 (3).
- (2012) Moisture movements during drying of green glued glulam beams from Norway spruce sideboards. International IUFRO Wood Drying Conference ; 2012-07-30 - 2012-08-03.
- (2011) Determination of wood moisture properties using CT-scanner in a controlled environment. The 7th meeting of the Nordic-Baltic Network in Wood Material Science and Engineering (WSE) . Norsk institutt for skog og landskap; Oslo. 2011-10-27 - 2011-10-28.
- (2011) CT-scanning during heat treatment of wood. Pro Ligno. vol. 7 (4).
- (2010) Equalization of moisture in pre-dried pinewood using microwave power. Pro Ligno. vol. 6 (2).
- (2010) Redistribution of moisture in pre-dried pinewood using microwave power: a preliminary study. 11th International IUFRO Wood Drying Conference ; Skellefteå. 2010-01-18 - 2010-01-22.
- (2008) Modeling microwave heating and moisture redistribution in wood. Drying Technology. vol. 26 (5).
- (2007) Microwave treatment of wood. 2007.
- (2007) PLS models for predicting wood properties from microwave measurements based on three dimensional FEM simulations. The Nordic Workshop in Wood Engineering ; Luleå. 2007-02-21.
- (2006) Microwave treatment of resinous wood. The 5th IUFRO Symposium Wood Structure and Properties ; 2006-09-03 - 2006-09-06.
- (2006) The effect of drying method and temperature level on the hardness of wood. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. vol. 171 (3).
- (2006) Finite element modeling (FEM) simulation of interactions between wood and microwaves. Journal of Wood Science. vol. 52 (5).
- (2005) FEM simulation of heating wood in an industrial microwave applicator. 10th International Conference on Microwave and High Frequency Heating ; Modena. 2005-09-12 - 2005-09-15.
- (2005) Microwave penetration in wood using imaging sensor. Measurement (London). vol. 38 (1).
- (2005) FEM simulation of interactions between microwaves and wood during thawing. Conference on mathematical modeling of wave phenomea ; Växjö. 2005-08-14 - 2005-08-19.
- (2003) Controlling microwave heating and its effect on the properties of wood. 2003. Licentiate thesis (Luleå tekniska universitet) (72).
- (2003) The effect of microwave drying on Norway spruce woods strength : a comparison with conventional drying. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. vol. 141 (1).
- (2003) Design and performance of an industrial microwave drier for on-line drying of wood components. The 8th IUFRO International Wood Drying Conference . Faculty of Wood Industry; Brasov. 2003-08-24 - 2003-08-29.
- (2002) Styrprogram för temperaturhållning av last i mikrovågsugn. 2002.
- (2002) IR- och HFV-teknik för virkestorkning. 2002.