Lars Struen Imsland
Background and activities
Lars Imsland has been a professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics since 2009. He has a PhD and an MSc in Engineering Cybernetics from NTNU. He belongs to the research group Control Systems.
- 2009–present: Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Professor at Department of Engineering Cybernetics.
- 2008–2009: Cybernetica AS, Trondheim, Specialist. Nonlinear model predictive control, automatic control in offshore drilling.
- 2004–2008: SINTEF ICT, Trondheim, Research Scientist. Estimation in automotive applications, power processes with CO2 capture.
- 2002–2004: Norwegian University of Science and Technology,Post.Doc. Control of power processes with CO2 capture.
- 1998–2002: Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Doctoral Student. Nonlinear control, control and optimization.
- 2000–2000: University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany, Visiting scholar.
Professional committees and memberships
- Co-chair of National Organizing Committee for 11th International IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process and Bioprocess Systems (DYCOPS-CAB 2016), Trondheim, June 2016.
- Chair of National Organizing Committee for 1st IFAC Workshop on Automatic Control in Offshore Oil and Gas Production, Trondheim May 2012.
- Board member, Norwegian Society of Automatic Control, 2013–
- Reviewer for numerous journals and conferences, member of international program committee for conferences such as American Control Conference 2011, Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation 2014 and 2015, IFAC Adchem 2015, IFAC ACOOG 2015.
- Member of 9 PhD adjudication committees in Norway and abroad.
- Board member, Board of Department of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU, 1999–2001.
- 2008: Arch T. Colwell Merit Award, from the Society of Automotive Engineers.
- 2004: Automatica Outstanding Reviewer.
- 1998: PhD Scolarship from the Research Council of Norway.
- 1997: “Elf Studiepris”. Grant from Elf Aquitaine Norge A/S for “outstanding examination results”.
See my CV for more detailed information.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Framework for produced water discharge management with flow-weighted mean concentration based economic model predictive control. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 157.
- (2021) Application of Data-Driven Economic NMPC on a Gas Lifted Well Network. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 54 (3).
- (2021) Wind farm control - Part I: A review on control system concepts and structures. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 15 (10).
- (2021) Analysis of Optimal Control Strategies for Efficient Operation of a Produced Water Reinjection Facility for Mature Fields. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 54 (3).
- (2021) Bayesian neural networks for virtual flow metering: An empirical study. Applied Soft Computing. vol. 112.
- (2021) Identifiability and interpretability of hybrid, gray-box models. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2021) On gray-box modeling for virtual flow metering. Control Engineering Practice.
- (2021) Integration of maintenance scheduling and planning for large-scale asset fleets. Optimization and Engineering. vol. 2021.
- (2021) Sensor fusion based on Extended and Unscented Kalman Filter for bioprocess monitoring. Journal of Process Control. vol. 106.
- (2021) A rolling horizon approach for scheduling of multiproduct batch production and maintenance using generalized disjunctive programming models. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 148.
- (2021) Data pre-processing and optimization techniques for stochastic and deterministic low-order grey-box models of residential buildings. Energy and Buildings. vol. 236.
- (2020) Distributed learning for wind farm optimization with Gaussian processes. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2020) Adaptation of Engineering Wake Models using Gaussian Process Regression and High-Fidelity Simulation Data. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). vol. 1618.
- (2020) Real-time optimization of wind farms using modifier adaptation and machine learning. Wind Energy Science. vol. 5 (3).
- (2020) Stochastic data-driven model predictive control using gaussian processes. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 139.
- (2020) Developing a Hybrid Data-Driven, Mechanistic Virtual Flow Meter - a Case Study. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2020) Optimal Maintenance for Degrading Assets in the Context of Asset Fleets-A Case Study. Frontiers in Applied Mathematics and Statistics. vol. 6.
- (2020) Optimal production and maintenance scheduling for a multiproduct batch plant considering degradation. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 135.
- (2020) Adaptive detection and prediction of performance degradation in off-shore turbomachinery. Applied Energy. vol. 268.
- (2019) On Kalman filtering with linear state equality constraints. Automatica. vol. 101.