Marisa Di Sabatino
Background and activities
Professor in Physical Metallurgy
Master in Materials Science from Marche Polytechnic University (Italy) in March 2002.
PhD in Physical Metallurgy from NTNU in November 2005.
Visiting PhD student at MPI, Worchester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in Worcester, MA (USA) from Jan-July 2004.
Research and Senior Research Scientist at SINTEF Materials and Chemistry between 2007 and 2010.
Associate Professor in Physical Metallurgy 2010-2016.
Professor in Physical Metallurgy 2017-
Research fields and fields of interest:
-Crystallization and solidification of solar cell silicon
-Advanced characterization methods for solar cell silicon
-Glow Discharge Spectrometry
-Castability of light alloys
-Solidification and characterization of Al- and Al foundry alloys
-May 2018: Dr Mathias Sem`s fond for outstanding research
-May 2008: Young Research Presentation Award at 4th International conference on Crystal Growth and Crystal Technology of silicon and semiconductors (CGCT-4) in Sendai (Japan).
-November 2006: Aldo Daccò Award from AIM (Italian Association of Metallurgy) for the PhD thesis work.
-June 2005: 2nd Best Student Presentation Award during the Advances in Solidification Processes (ICASP) in Stockholm (Sweden).
-May 2004: Håkon Styri Fellowship Award given by the Norwegian Metallurgy Associatiton (Norsk Metallurgisk Selskap) for my research work.
- TMT4285 - Hydrogen Technology, Fuel Cells, Batteries and Solar Cells
- TMT4322 - Solar Cells and Photovoltaic Nanostructures
- TMT4500 - Materials Technology, Specialization Project
- MT8214 - Advanced Silicon - Solar Cells
- MT8218 - Advanced Materials Science
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Silicon and indium as secondary cathodes for the analysis of solid alumina and sapphire by slow-flow direct-current glow discharge mass spectrometry. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry. vol. 37 (1).
- (2022) Effect of gas atmospheres on the interactions between liquid silicon and coated graphite substrates. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 235.
- (2022) Novel coatings for graphite materials in PV silicon applications: A study of the surface wettability and interface interactions. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 234.
- (2021) Application of 7N In as secondary cathode for the direct current-glow discharge mass spectrometry analysis of solid, fused high-purity quartz. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. vol. 56 (8).
- (2021) Kinetics of silicon nitride coatings degradation and its influence on liquid infiltration in PV silicon crystallization processes. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 230.
- (2021) Depth profiling at a steel-aluminum interface using slow-flow direct current glow discharge mass spectrometry. Atomic spectroscopy. vol. 43.
- (2021) Iron related precipitates in multicrystalline silicon by conductive atomic force microscopy. Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing. vol. 129.
- (2020) The effect of preliminary heat treatment on the durability of reaction bonded silicon nitride crucibles for solar cells applications. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 542.
- (2020) Quantification of discharge gas to optimize discharge parameters for relative sensitivity factors(RSFs) determination by slow-flow glow discharge mass spectrometry(GDMS). Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry. vol. 35 (11).
- (2020) Influence of polycrystalline material on crater shape optimization and roughness using low power/low-pressure direct-current glow discharge mass spectrometry. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry. vol. 35 (7).
- (2020) Interfacial atomic structure and electrical activity of nano-facetted CSL grain boundaries in high-performance multi-crystalline silicon. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 127 (12).
- (2019) Influence of Cu addition on the heat treatment response of A356 foundry alloy. Materials Today Communications. vol. 19.
- (2019) Role of Impurities in Silicon Solidification and Electrical Properties Studied by Complementary In Situ and Ex Situ Methods. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 216 (17).
- (2019) Investigation of the intensity dependence of glow discharge mass spectrometry quantification on the discharge parameters. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry. vol. 34 (9).
- (2019) Effect of heat treatment for enhancing performance of Al-5Ti-1B master alloy on mechanical and hot tearing properties of Al-7Si-3Cu alloy. Materials Research Express. vol. 6 (8).
- (2019) Statistical analysis of structure loss in Czochralski silicon growth. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 2147 (1).
- (2019) Investigation of pinholes in Czochralski silicon ingots in relation to structure loss. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 510.
- (2019) Effect of Zr addition on overaging and tensile behavior of 2618 aluminum alloy. Metals. vol. 9 (2).
- (2019) Low-Temperature Plasma-Enhanced Atomic Layer Deposition of SiO <sub>2</sub> Using Carbon Dioxide. Nanoscale Research Letters. vol. 14.
- (2018) Impact of thermal history on defects formation in the last solid fraction of Cz silicon ingots. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 1999.