Background and activities
- System reliability theory
- Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, and Safety (RAMS) analysis
- Risk analysis
- Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM)
- Reliability assessment of oil/gas subsea and well equipment
- Probabilistic modeling
- 2010-2011 - Visiting professor, Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Arts et Métiers (ENSAM), ParisTech, Aix en Provence, France
- 2005-2006 - Vice dean (research), Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology, NTNU
- 2002-2003 - Visiting professor, Dept. Productique et Automatique, Ecole des Mines de Nantes, France
- 1996-2002 - Vice dean, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, NTNU
- 1995-1996 - Visiting professor, Civil and Offshore Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland
- 1990 - Scientific Advisor, SINTEF Safety and Reliability
- 1994 - Professor, Dept. of Production and Quality Engineering, NTNU
- 1990-1994 - Professor, and head of Dept. of Machine Design, NTNU
- 1986-1990 - Division director, SINTEF Safety and Reliability
- 1984-1986 - Research Scientist, SINTEF Safety and Reliability
- 1980-1984 - Research Scientist, SINTEF Machine Design
- 1977-1980 - Lecturer, Dept. of Mathematical Statistics, NTNU
- 1976-1977 - Scientific assistant, Dept. of Mathematical Statistics, NTNU
- Member of the Norwegian Academy for Science and Technology (from 1995)
- Member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (from 1998)
I am not a member of any other organization/society.
- Rausand, M.: "Reliability of Safety-Critical Systems: Theory and Applications," Wiley, Hoboken, NJ ,2014.
- Rausand, M.: "Risk Assessment: Theory, Methods, and Applications," Wiley, Hoboken, 2011. [This book has been translated to Chinese and is published by Tsinghua University Press, 2013]
- Rausand, M. and Utne, I. B.: "Risikoanalyse - Teori og metoder", Tapir akademisk forlag, Trondheim, 2009 (In Norwegian).
- Murthy, D. N. P., Rausand, M. and Østerås, T.: "Product Reliability: Specification and Performance", Springer, London, 2008. [This book is currently (i.e., 2013) being translated to Chinese.]
- Rausand, M. and Høyland, A.: "System Reliability Theory: Models, Statistical methods, and Applications" (2nd ed.), Wiley, Hoboken, 2004. [This book has been translated to Chinese and is published by the National Defense Industry Press, 2010]
- Høyland, A. and Rausand, M.: "System Reliability Theory: Models and Statistical Methods", Wiley, Hoboken, 1994.
- Rausand, M.: "Risikoanalyse - En veiledning til NS5814", Tapir akademisk forlag, Trondheim, 1991 (In Norwegian).
Holen, A. T., Høyland, A. and Rausand, M.: "Pålitelighetsanalyse", Tapir akademisk forlag, Trondheim, 1982 (In Norwegian).
I have written many papers. None of these represents any scientific breakthrough, but some of them may be useful.
I have made a high number of web-pages. The most important are found on the ROSS-site.
In 2004, I received the "Our best lecturer"-award from the mechanical engineering students at NTNU - and I really appreciated this award.
I have never received any other prices or awards.
The number of keynote presentations is a commonly used indicator of research excellence. In this respect, I have nothing to be proud of, since I have given only a single keynote presentation at an international conference in my whole carreer.
I have been invited to give keynote presentations many times, but always had a good reason for saying "no".
Editor - Member of Editorial Board
Another performance indicator is related to whether or not you are editor of a journal and how many editorial boards you are member of. My score is here as low as the previous one. I am reviewing a high number of papers every year, but has always been reluctant to being member of editorial boards. I have, however, deviated from this policy in a couple of cases - so you may find my name on the editorial board of 2-3 journals.
Supervision of PhD and Master Students
I have supervised more than 300 Master theses and 15 PhD theses. It is a pleasure to see that so many of my students have made success, and I hope that at least some few of them remember me with a small trace of gratitude.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Proof-testing strategies induced by dangerous detected failures of safety-instrumented systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 145.
- (2015) Availability centred maintenance for offshore wind farms. Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering. vol. 21 (4).
- (2015) Ambiguity in risk assessment. Safety Science. vol. 80.
- (2015) Technology Qualification Program Integrated with Product Development Process. International Journal of Performability Engineering. vol. 11 (1).
- (2014) Reliability of safety-instrumented systems subject to partial testing and common-cause failures. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 121.
- (2014) Defining complexity for risk assessment of sociotechnical systems: A conceptual framework. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 228 (3).
- (2014) Foundations and choice of risk metrics. Safety Science. vol. 62.
- (2014) Reliability analysis of safety-instrumented systems operated in high-demand mode. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 32.
- (2013) Risk of collision between service vessels and offshore wind turbines. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 109 (January).
- (2013) New PFH-formulas for k-out-of-n:F-systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 111.
- (2013) New reliability measure for safety instrumented systems. International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering (IJRQSE). vol. 20 (1).
- (2013) Reliability effects of test strategies on safety-instrumented systems in different demand modes. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 119.
- (2013) Monitoring human and organizational factors influencing common-cause failures of safetyinstrumented system during the operational phase. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 120.
- (2013) Prediction of failure rates for new subsea systems: A practical approach and an illustrative example. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 227 (6).
- (2013) A safety barrier-based accident model for offshore drilling blowouts. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 26 (1).
- (2012) Uncertainty assessment of reliability estimates for safety-instrumented systems. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 226 (6).
- (2012) Dependencies in event trees analyzed by Petri nets. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 104.
- (2011) Reliability performance of safety instrumented systems: A common approach for both low- and high-demand mode of operation. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 96 (3).
- (2011) Reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems subject to different demand modes. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 24 (1).
- (2011) Remaining useful life, technical health, and life extension. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 225 (2).