Background and activities
Merete Lie, professor
My field of research is feminist technoscience. With a background in social anthropology I have been working across the interdisciplinary fields of Gender Studies and Science and Technology Studies. My research includes a variety of themes related to gender, including work research and changing technologies, and globalization. With my colleague Ragnhild Lund, I have conducted a longitudinal study of Malaysian women workers (1986-2015) in Norwegian owned industry based on biographical interviews. The longitudinal study includes field studies of the companies’ transfer of production to China. At present, my research is on welfare technologies, biopolitics, assisted reproductive technologies, medical imaging and bioart.
Posthuman Perspectives on Welfare Technologies (HF/NTNU) 2014-2017
Robotic care. Networks on Health, Technology and Culture (RCN/Research Council Norway 2015-16)
Inside Out. New Images and Imaginations of the Body (RCN/KULVER Cultural Values 2010-2014)
Reproductive Relations. Production of Gendered Meaning in the Field of Reproduction (RCN/Gender Research Programme 2009-2012)
The Social meaning of Children. Fertility, Gender and Social Class (RCN/FRISAM 2010-2012)
Globalization and Marginalization: Norwegian Companies in China (NTNU 2003-2009)
Perceptions of Gender, Genes and Reproduction (RCN/ELSA 2002-2008)
Merete Lie and Ragnhild Lund: Renegotiating Local Values. Working Women and Foreign Industry in Malaysia. London: Curzon 1993
Lie M and KH Sørensen (eds): Making technology our own? Domesticating technology into everyday life, Oslo: Scandinavian University Press 1996
Lie, M (ed): He, She & IT revisited. New Perspectives on Gender in the Information Society. Oslo: Gyldendal Academic 2003 (Se bilde av forsiden)
Lie, M, R Lund and G H Hansen (eds) Making it in China, Høyskoleforlaget/Norwegian Academic Press 2008
Ellingsæter, A L, A-M Jensen and M Lie (eds) 2013 The Social Meaning of Children and Fertility Change in Europe. London: Routledge
Lie, M & N Lykke (eds) 2017 Assisted Reproduction Across Borders. Feminist Perspectives on Normalizations, Disruptions and Transmissions. NY: Routledge
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Juryens begrunnelse for 2000-tallets artikkel (Muslimen med slør, anorektikeren og den transseksuelle: Hva har de til felles? av Randi Gressgård). Tidsskrift for kjønnsforskning.
- (2015) Reproduction inside/outside: Medical imaging and the domestication of assisted reproductive technologies. The European Journal of Women's Studies. vol. 22 (1).
- (2012) Reproductive images: the autonomous cell. Science as Culture. vol. 21 (4).
- (2011) Brainwashing: Taking another turn with biology. NORA - Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research. vol. 19 (1).
- (2011) Reproductive Imaginations: Stories of Egg and Sperm. NORA - Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research. vol. 19 (4).
- (2010) Det lokale i det globale: norsk industri i Asia. Sosiologisk Tidsskrift. vol. 18.
- (2009) Kjønn fra innsiden. Tidsskrift for kjønnsforskning. vol. 33 (3).
- (2007) Gender in the Information Society: Strategies of Inclusion. Gender, Technology and Development. vol. 11 (2).
- (2007) Gender and Bioethics Intertwined. Egg Donation in the Context of Equal Opportunities. The European Journal of Women's Studies. vol. 14 (4).
- (2006) New perceptions of gender and reproduction. NIKK magasin.
- (2005) Et gen for deg - et gen for meg. Fett Wissenschaft Technologie. vol. 2 (1-2).
- (2005) From NIDL to Globalization: Studying Women Workers in an Increasingly Globalized Economy. Gender, Technology and Development. vol. 9 (1).
- (2005) Introduction. Gender, Technology and Development. vol. 9 (1).
- (2002) Science as father? Sex and gender in the age of reproductive technologies. The European Journal of Women's Studies. vol. 9 (4).
- (2002) On Gender and Things. Reflections on an Exhibition on Gendered Artifacts. Women's Studies: International Forum. vol. 25 (4).
- (2001) Globalisering, sted og kjønn. Kvinneforskning. vol. 25 (2).
- (2000) Two generations: life stories and social change in Malaysia. Journal of Gender Studies. vol. 9 (1).
- (1999) Min vei: Kjønn som bilder i hverdagens scenografi. Kvinneforskning. vol. 23 (1).
- (1999) Globalisation, Place and Gender. AI & Society: The Journal of Human-Centred Systems and Machine Intelligence. vol. 13.
- (1997) - vett i pannen, stål i ben og armer : teknologiens bilder av kjønn. Kvinneforskning. vol. 21 (2).