Background and activities
Mette Langaas is a Professor of Statistics and Deputy head of Education at the Department of Mathematical Sciences. Professor Langaas has an MSc in Industrial Mathematics and a PhD in Statistics from NTNU.
She has since 2018 status as distinguished educator at NTNU (merittert underviser).
Publications in Google scholar: https://scholar.google.no/citations?hl=no&user=DdgPJq0AAAAJ
Professor Langaas has supervised 7 PhD and Postdoc, 34 MSc and Diploma students.
Recent Work Experience
- 2021–: Deputy head of education at the Department of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU.
- 2019-2020: Sabbatical at the Department of Mathematics, University of Oslo.
- 2017-2021: Group leader Statistics at the Department of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU.
- 2016-2021: Professor II at the Norwegian Computing Center, Big Insights.
- 2014-2015 Sabbatical at the Centre for the Genetics Origins of Health and Disease, University of Western Australia.
- 2014- Professor in Statistics at the Department of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU.
- 2010-2014 Associate Professor in Statistics at the Department of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU.
- 2009-2010 Associate Professor in Medical Statistics at the Department of Molecular Medicine and Cancer Research, NTNU.
- 2008-2009 Sabbatical at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia Bioinformatics Group headed by Professor Terry Speed.
- 2007-2008 Part time (20%) position as Assocate Professor II at Department of Mathematics, University of Oslo.
- 2004-2009 Associate Professor in Statistics at the Department of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU
- 2002-2003: Postdoc in Statistics at the Department of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU.
- 1996-2001: Research scientist at Statistical Analysis, Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis (SAMBA) group ab the Norwegian Computing Center.
- Royal Statistical Society
- Norwegian Statistical Association
- ISTA1003 - Statistics
- ISTG1002 - Statistics
- ISTG1001 - Statistics
- ISTT1001 - Statistics
- ISTA1001 - Statistics
- ISTA1002 - Statistics
- ISTT1003 - Statistics
- ISTT1002 - Statistics
- ST3201 - Master Seminar in Statistics
- ISTG1003 - Statistics
- MA8701 - Advanced statistical methods in inference and learning
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Riktig karakter med dobbel sensur?. www.universitetsavisa.no.
- (2021) The fat mass and obesity-associated (FTO) gene allele rs9939609 and glucose tolerance, hepatic and total insulin sensitivity, in adults with obesity. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (3).
- (2021) A new method for exploring gene–gene and gene–environment interactions in GWAS with tree ensemble methods and SHAP values. BMC Bioinformatics. vol. 22 (1).
- (2021) Adhd and mental health symptoms in the identification of young adults with increased risk of alcohol dependency in the general population—the hunt4 population study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 18 (21).
- (2021) Hvor stor andel av publiserte forskningsresultat er feil?. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 141 (18).
- (2020) Computationally efficient familywise error rate control in genome‐wide association studies using score tests for generalized linear models. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics. vol. 47 (4).
- (2020) Mobile Sensing in Substance Use Research: A Scoping Review. Telemedicine journal and e-health. vol. 26 (10).
- (2019) Digitale læringsressurser i matematikk og statistikk. MNT-konferansen 2019 . Nasjonalt senter for realfagsrekruttering; Tromsø. 2019-03-28 - 2019-03-29.
- (2019) Circulating microRNAs as predictive biomarkers of myocardial infarction: Evidence from the HUNT study. Atherosclerosis. vol. 289.
- (2018) Powerful extreme phenotype sampling designs and score tests for genetic association studies. Statistics in Medicine. vol. 37 (28).
- (2017) Assessing gene-environment interaction effects of FTO, MC4R and lifestyle factors on obesity using an extreme phenotype sampling design: Results from the HUNT study. PLOS ONE. vol. 12 (4).
- (2017) Læringsressurser i grunnutdanningen i matematikk - kvalitet, tilgjengelighet og differensiering. Læring om læring. vol. 1.
- (2017) Bruk av digitale øvinger i grunnutdanningen i matematikk. Læring om læring. vol. 1.
- (2017) Alternativ forelesningsstruktur i grunnutdanningen i matematikk. Læring om læring. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Statistical Analysis for High-Dimensional Data. Springer. 2016. ISBN 978-3-319-27097-5.
- (2016) Intergenerational transmission of overweight and obesity from parents to their adolescent offspring - The HUNT study. PLOS ONE. vol. 11 (11).
- (2015) Plant defence responses in oilseed rape MINELESS plants after attack by the cabbage moth Mamestra brassicae. Journal of Experimental Botany. vol. 66 (2).
- (2014) Robust methods to detect disease-genotype association in genetic association studies: Calculate p-values using exact conditional enumeration instead of simulated permutations or asymptotic approximations. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology. vol. 13 (6).
- (2014) Central obesity is associated with lower intake of whole-grain bread and less frequent breakfast and lunch: Results from the HUNT study, an adult all-population survey. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism. vol. 39 (7).
- (2014) Functional Toll-like receptors in primary first-trimester trophoblasts. Journal of Reproductive Immunology. vol. 106.
- (2013) Identification of fidgety movements and prediction of CP by the use of computer-based video analysis is more accurate when based on two video recordings. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. vol. 29 (6).
- (2013) Acetylsalicylic acid treatment until surgery reduces oxidative stress and inflammation in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. vol. 43 (6).
- (2013) Balanced caloric macronutrient composition downregulates immunological gene expression in human blood cells - adipose tissue responses diverges. Omics. vol. 17 (1).
- (2013) Variability in UDP-glucuronosyltransferase genes and morphine metabolism. Observations from a cross-sectional multicenter study in advanced cancer patients with pain. Pharmacogenetics & Genomics. vol. 23 (3).
- (2013) Differential Gene Expression at the Maternal-Fetal Interface in Preeclampsia Is Influenced by Gestational Age. PLOS ONE. vol. 8 (7).
- (2013) The duration of gastrin treatment affects global gene expression and molecular responses involved in ER stress and anti-apoptosis. BMC Genomics. vol. 14.
- (2013) Activation of endosomal Toll-like receptors in first trimester trophoblasts. Pregnancy Hypertension. vol. 3 (81).
- (2013) Cell surface Toll-like receptors in primary trophoblasts from first trimester placentas. Pregnancy Hypertension. vol. 3 (81).
- (2013) Functional Toll-like receptors in primary first trimester trophoblasts. Placenta. vol. 34 (9).
- (2012) The exact unconditional z-pooled test for equality of two binomial probabilities: optimal choice of the Berger and Boos confidence coefficient. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation. vol. 82 (9).
- (2011) Computer based assessment of General Movements in Young Infants using one or two video recordings. Pediatric Research. vol. 70.
- (2010) Moderate-Carbohydrate Diet Induces Changes in Leukocyte Gene Expression Patterns and Pro-Inflammatory Biomarkers Towards a More Healthy Phenotype, Compared to a High-Carbohydrate Diet. Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics. vol. 3 (2-3).
- (2010) Functional studies on RNA-transfected cell microarrays. Methods in molecular biology. vol. 629.
- (2010) A Bayesian hierarchical model for quantitative real-time PCR data. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology. vol. 9 (1).
- (2010) Matrix Metalloproteinase 1 in Pre-eclampsia and Fetal Growth Restriction: Reduced Gene Expression in Decidual Tissue and Protein Expression in Extravillous Trophoblasts. Placenta. vol. 31 (7).
- (2009) Changes in Regulation of Metabolic and Immunological Pathways in Leukocytes Due to Alterations in Macronutrient Composition. Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics. vol. 2 (4-5).
- (2009) Pathological and physiological hypertrophies are regulated by distinct gene programs. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation. vol. 16 (6).
- (2008) A Nutrigenomcs Approach to Define a “Lifestyle Algorithm” to Be Used in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Diagnosis and Therapy. Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics. vol. 1 (1-2).
- (2008) Leukocytes – A Reliable Source For Genomewide Screening To Identify Dietary Responses. Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics. vol. 1 (6).
- (2008) Gene expression profiling of skeletal muscle in exercise-trained and sedentary rats with inborn high and low VO2max. Physiological Genomics. vol. 35 (3).
- (2008) Aerobic capacity-dependent differences in cardiac gene expression. Physiological Genomics. vol. 33.
- (2008) Decidual expression and maternal serum levels of heme oxygenase 1 are increased in pre-eclampsia. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. vol. 87 (3).
- (2008) Functional studies on transfected cell microarray analysed by linear regression modelling. Nucleic Acids Research (NAR). vol. 36 (15).
- (2008) Identification of novel neuroendocrine-specific tumour genes. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 99 (8).
- (2008) Identification of novel neuroendocrine-specific tumour genes. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 99 (8).
- (2008) Changes in gene expression of gastric mucosa during therapeutic acid inhibition. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepathology. vol. 20.
- (2007) A Nutrigenomcs Approach to Define a “Lifestyle Algorithm” to Be Used in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Diagnosis and Therapy. 1st Congress of the International Society of Nutrigenetics/Nutrigenomics (ISNN) . International Society of Nutrigenetics/Nutrigenomics (ISNN); Athen. 2007-11-11 - 2007-11-13.
- (2007) Fetal growth restriction is associated with reduced FasL expression by decidual cells. Journal of Reproductive Immunology. vol. 74.
- (2007) Understanding sample size: What determines the required number of microarrays for an experiment?. Trends in Plant Science. vol. 12 (2).
- (2006) GeneTools - application for functional annotation and statistical hypothesis testing. BMC Bioinformatics. vol. 7 (470).
- (2006) Fetal growth restriction is associated with reduced FasL expression by decidual cells. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology.
- (2005) Identification of novel growth factor-responsive genes in neuroendocrine gastrointestinal tumour cells. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 92 (8).
- (2005) Identification of novel growth factor-responsive genes in neuroendocrine gastrointestinal tumour cells. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 92.
- (2005) Estimating the proportion of true null hypotheses, with application to DNA microarray data. Journal of The Royal Statistical Society Series B-statistical Methodology. vol. 67.
- (2005) Limitations of mRNA amplification from small-size cell samples. BMC Genomics.
- (2004) Medical technology: Health surveys and biobanking. A Foresight analysis towards 2020. 2004.
- (2004) glme: a C-program for parameter estimation using Gibbs-sampling in large linear mixed-effects models, with applications to DNA microarray data. 2004. Preprint Series in Statistics (2/2004).
- (2003) Effects of mRNA amplification on gene expression ratios in cDNA experiments estimated by analysis of variance. BMC Genomics. vol. 4 (11).
- (2002) Analysis of repeatability in spotted cDNA microarrays. Nucleic Acids Research (NAR). vol. 30 (14).
- (1999) Simulated likelihood methods for complex double-platform line transect surveys. Biometrics. vol. 55.
- (1997) Abundance of northeastern Atlantic minke whales, estimates for 1989 and 1995. Rep. int. Whal. Commn. vol. 47.