Background and activities
Is a Post-Doctoral research fellow at the department of Chemistry at NTNU and part of the Research group of marine chemistry and biogeochemistry.
With original background in biological oceanography, Nicolas Sanchez conducted master studies in environmental chemistry to then obtain a PhD degree titled “Biogeochemistry of iron in Patagonian fjords and waters of the Antarctic Peninsula”. His main area of research is the bioavailability of the trace metal iron for primary producers in marine ecosystems, including coastal environments such as fjords and Polar Regions. Currently he is involved in the Nansen Legacy project (https://arvenetternansen.com), studying biogeochemical processes associated to iron and other trace elements in the Northern Barents Sea.
Marine Biology degree (2001 - 2007) from UACh (Universidad Austral de Chile)
Master in Science in Environmental Chemistry (NTNU) (2010-2012)
PhD Chemistry Department (NTNU) (2013-2017)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Fe(II) stability in coastal seawater during experiments in Patagonia, Svalbard, and Gran Canaria. Biogeosciences. vol. 17.
- (2019) Iron cycling in a mesocosm experiment in a north Patagonian fjord: Potential effect of ammonium addition by salmon aquaculture. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. vol. 220.
- (2019) Effect of hydroxamate and catecholate siderophores on iron availability in the diatom Skeletonema costatum: Implications of siderophore degradation by associated bacteria. Marine Chemistry. vol. 209.
- (2019) Weddell-Scotia confluence effect on the iron distribution in waters surrounding the South Shetland (Antarctic Peninsula) and South Orkney (Scotia Sea) Islands during the Austral summer in 2007 and 2008. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 6:771.
- (2018) Effect of Siderophore on Iron Availability in a Diatom and a Dinoflagellate Species: Contrasting Response in Associated Bacteria. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 5 (118).
- (2014) Size-spectrum based differential response of phytoplankton to nutrient and iron-organic matter combinations in microcosm experiments in a Chilean Patagonian Fjord. Phycological Research. vol. 62 (2).
- (2014) Responses in the microbial food web to increased rates of nutrient supply in a southern Chilean fjord: Possible implications of cage aquaculture. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. vol. 6 (1).
- (2011) Seasonal plankton variability in Chilean Patagonia fjords: Carbon flow through the pelagic food web of Aysen Fjord and plankton dynamics in the Moraleda Channel basin. Continental Shelf Research.
- (2011) Seasonal variability of primary production in a fjord ecosystem of the Chilean Patagonia: Implications for the transfer of carbon within pelagic food webs. Continental Shelf Research.
- (2011) Trophic interactions of pelagic crustaceans in Comau Fjord (Chile): their role in the food web structure. Journal of Plankton Research.