Background and activities
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Dr. Nikolai Tolstik
NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Realfagbygget, Hogskoleringen 5
- 1999 – 2004, Belarusian National Technical University, Engineering faculty, Laser Technics and Technology Department, BSc student.
- 2004 – 2005, Belarusian National Technical University, Engineering faculty,
- 2005 – 2008, Belarusian National Technical University, Engineering faculty,
- PhD degree in Optics (June 2010), topic of research – Spectroscopic and laser properties of 1.5-1.6 mm active laser media based on erbium-doped crystals.
- 13 years of scientific research;
- 34 articles in international peer-reviewed journals (1 invited), 14 of these as a first author; >70 conference publications (3 invited), more than 600 citations and h-index of 14 (according to Web of Science); 1 Belarusian national patent;
- Main scientific topics: Spectroscopy of rare-earth-doped and transition-metal-doped laser materials; development of CW, pulsed, and ultrafast solid-state and fiber lasers and amplifiers in the near- and mid-infrared spectral region; characterization and modelling of nonlinear processes in optical fibers; applications of lasers in range-finding, remote sensing, material processing;
- Additional research experience: Guest researcher at the Institute for Laser Physics, University of Hamburg (Prof. Dr. Guenter Huber, years 2007-2008); University of St. Andrews (Prof. Wilson Sibbett, year 2010);
- Teaching experience: Undergraduate Student Instructor, Topics “Physical Optics and Spectroscopy”, “Solid-state Laser Systems”; years 2008-2010, Master student supervisor, years 2011-2015;
- Industrial experience: since January 2016 - part-time employee of spin-off company Atla Lasers (Trondheim, Norway). Main responsibility – commercialization of the mid-infrared femtosecond solid-state and fiber lasers.
- Project leadership experience: work package leader for the EU-FET project “Graphenics” (2013-present).
- 2008–2011 – Laboratory of Laser Materials, center for Optical Materials and Technologies, Belarusian National Technical University, researcher.
- 2011–2014 – Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, postdoctor.
- 2014–present – Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, researcher.
- 2014-2017 – Photonics Institute, Technical University of Vienna, freelance researcher (part-time).
- 2016-present – spin-off company Atla Lasers AS, Trondheim, Norway, senior research engineer (part-time).
Russian, Belarusian, English, Norwegian.
- 2007 – Belarusian Ministry of Education Grant (Project “Research and development of optical materials based on Er-Yb-codoped borate crystals for eye-safe lasers”)
- 2007-2008 – INTAS Young Scientist Fellowship (Project “Er-doped crystalline laser materials for eye-safe 1.5-1.6 mcm solid-state and waveguide lasers”)
- 2008 – Belarusian President Fellowship for outstanding performance in scientific research
- 2009 – International Alferov Foundation fellowship (Report “Spectroscopic and waveguiding properties of epitaxial thin layers of Er,Yb:YAl3(BO3)4” at the conference “Engineering-2009” )
- 2009-2010 - World Federation of Scientists National Scholarship (Project “High-repetition-rate eye-safe lasers based on Er,Yb:YAl3(BO3)4 crystal”)
- 2010 – winner of the annual competition for best PhD thesis in natural sciences in Belarus
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
Reviewer for Applied physics B, Optics Letters, Optics Express, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Spectral-luminescent properties of vapor deposited Cr:ZnS thin films and their application as saturable absorbers for 1.5-um erbium lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 8 (3).
- (2016) Vapor deposited Cr-doped ZnS thin films: Towards optically pumped mid-infrared waveguide lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 6 (9).
- (2016) Flat-top supercontinuum and tunable femtosecond fiber laser sources at 1.9-2.5 μm. Journal of Lightwave Technology. vol. 34 (21).
- (2016) Coherent octave-spanning mid-infrared supercontinuum generated in As2S3-silica double-nanospike waveguide pumped by femtosecond Cr:ZnS laser. Optics Express. vol. 24 (11).
- (2015) CW YVO4:Er laser with resonant pumping. Journal of Applied Spectroscopy. vol. 82 (2).
- (2014) Mid-IR ultrashort pulsed fiber-based lasers. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. vol. 20:0903412 (5).
- (2014) Femtosecond Cr:ZnS laser at 2.35 µm mode-locked by carbon nanotubes. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8959.
- (2014) Graphene mode-locked Cr: ZnS chirped-pulse oscillator. Optics Express. vol. 22 (6).
- (2014) Graphene Mode-locked Cr:ZnS Laser with 41 fs Pulse Duration. Optics Express. vol. 22 (5).
- (2013) Temperature-dependent photoluminescence Stokes shift in PbS quantum dots. Physica. E, Low-Dimensional systems and nanostructures. vol. 53.
- (2013) Chaotic chirped-pulse oscillators. Optics Express. vol. 21 (24).
- (2013) 1 Watt femtosecond mid-IR Cr:ZnS laser. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8599.
- (2013) Supercontinuum generation in Mid-IR using Chalcogenide and Germanate Nonlinear Fiber. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8599.
- (2013) Graphene mode-locked Cr:ZnS Chirped-pulse oscillator. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering.
- (2013) Kerr-lens mode-locked Cr:ZnS laser. Optics Letters. vol. 38 (3).
- (2012) Broadband Dispersion Measurement of ZBLAN, Germanate and Silica Fibers in MidIR. Journal of Lightwave Technology. vol. 30 (12).
- (2012) Femtosecond SESAM-modelocked Cr:ZnS laser. Optics Express. vol. 20 (27).
- (2012) Soliton delivery of mid-IR femtosecond pulses with ZBLAN fiber. Optical Materials Express. vol. 2 (11).
- (2011) Broadband method for group velocity dispersion measurements in the mid-infrared. Devices and Methods of Measurements. vol. 2.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Femtosecond laser writing of the depressed cladding buried channel waveguides in ZnS crystal. High-Brightness Sources and Light-driven Interactions 2018, OSA Technical Digest (online).