Olav B Fosso
Background and activities
Olav Bjarte Fosso (1958) is Professor at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. He has previously held positions as Scientific Advisor and Senior Research Scientist at Sintef Energy Research. Fosso has a MsC and a PhD in Power Engineering from NTNU. He was the Head of the Department of Electric Power Engineering from 2009 till 2013. He was the Director of NTNUs Strategic Research Area Energy from September 2014 - September 2016. His research activities involve hydro scheduling, offshore/onshore grid and market integration of intermittent generationas well as Smart Energy Systems.
- Honorary Member of CIGRE, previously Chairman of CIGRE SC C5 Electricity Markets and Regulation and Member of CIGRE Technical Committee (2008 - 2014)
- Chairman of board NOWITECH (Norwegian Research Centre for Offshore Wind Technology) (2015-2017), board member since 2011
- Board member of Energy21 (2015-2018) (Norwegian National Strategy for Research, Development, Demonstration and Commercialization of New Energy Technology)
- Editorial Board Member: "Journal of Marine Science and Engineering" (2019 - )
- Editor:"International Transactions of Electric Power Systems" (2011-2016)
- Editorial Advisory Panel: "Electric Power Systems Research" (2002 - 2013)
- Expert Evaluator Horizon 2020, Swiss National Science Foundation, Dutch research agency Technology Foundation STW, ASTAR in Singapore and Science Foundation Ireland (SFI).
Main area of expertise
- Power System Operation with emphasis on steady state security assessment and control
- Transmission system analysis (Security-constrained optimal power flow, congestion management, post-contingency rescheduling, decomposition principles and iterative techniques)
- Operations research methods for resource scheduling and transmission operation
- Development of tools for voltage stability calculations – steady state and dynamic methods
- Methods for dynamic simulation and eigenvalue calculations
- Modelling of power electronic equipment in power system network analysis
- Renewable energy integration – modelling, analysis and market design
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) The Mode Mixing Problem and its Influence in the Neural Activity Reconstruction. IAENG International Journal of Computer Science. vol. 46:3 (IJCS_46_3_1).
- (2019) Frequency Domain Modelling for Assessment of Hilbert and SOGI Based Single-Phase Synchronisation. Proceeding 45th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society - IECON 2019.
- (2019) Discussion on the mode mixing in wave energy control systems using the Hilbert-Huang transform. Proceedings og European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference. vol. 1275 (1).
- (2019) Passivity-Based Control of Power Systems Considering Hydro-Turbine with Surge Tank. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- (2019) An overview on formulations and optimization methods for the unit-based short-term hydro scheduling problem. Electric power systems research. vol. 178.
- (2019) An Approach for Establishing a Common Grid Model for Flow-based Market Mechanism Simulations. CSEE JOURNAL OF POWER AND ENERGY SYSTEMS. vol. 5 (3).
- (2019) Dynamic incorporation of nonlinearity into MILP formulation for short-term hydro scheduling. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 116.
- (2018) EMD Mode Mixing Separation of Signals with Close Spectral Proximity in Smart Grids. 2018 IEEE PES ISGT Europe - 8th IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Conference . University of Sarajevo / IEEE Power Engineering Society; Sarajevo. 2018-10-21 - 2018-10-25.
- (2018) Prony analysis and Robust RLS for electromechanical oscillations: an evaluation technique. MEDPOWER2018 - The 11th Mediterranean Conference on Power Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Energy Conversion . IEEE / IET / Univ. of Zagreb; Dubrovnik. 2018-11-12 - 2018-11-15.
- (2018) Prony's method as a tool for power system identification in Smart Grids. 24th IEEE International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion - SPEEDAM 2018 . DIETI – Eng. School – Univ of Naples “Federico II" / IEEE; Amalfi Coast. 2018-06-20 - 2018-06-22.
- (2018) The impact of time-frequency estimation methods on the performance of wave energy converters under passive and reactive control. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 10 (4).
- (2018) EMD-Prony for Phasor Estimation in Harmonic and Noisy Condition. 24th IEEE International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion - SPEEDAM 2018 . DIETI – Eng. School – Univ. of Naples “Federico II" / IEEE; Amalfi Coast. 2018-06-20 - 2018-06-22.
- (2018) Efficient Phasor Estimation under Steady State and Dynamic Conditions. SEST 2018 - International Conference of Smart Energy Systems and Technologies . University of Sevilla /IEEE PES; Sevilla. 2018-09-10 - 2018-09-12.
- (2018) Phasor Estimation based on Modified Recursive Prony. 2nd IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications - IEEE CCTA 2018 . IEEE / IEEE Control Systems Society; Copenhagen. 2018-08-21 - 2018-08-24.
- (2018) Real Time Phasor Estimation based on Recursive Prony with Several Channels of One PMU. 2018 IEEE PES ISGT Europe - 8th IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Conference . University of Sarajevo / IEEE Power Engineering Society; Sarajevo. 2018-10-21 - 2018-10-25.
- (2018) Time-Frequency analysis for nonlinear and non-stationary signals using HHT: A mode mixing separation technique. IEEE Latin America Transactions. vol. 16 (4).