Background and activities
Present position: Professor, MI Lab director
Degrees: MD, PhD [dr. med.]
- 1992. PhD in Medicine [dr. med.], NTNU, Trondheim, Norway. Thesis: “NMR spectroscopy of cerebral ischemia and reperfusion in rat”
- 1984. Medical Doctor, University of Bergen.
2007 - Director of medical imaging centre (SFI) “MI Lab”
1998 - Professor in MR, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
2006 - 07 Dean for research, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU
2005 - 05 Head of Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
2002 - 05 Vice-head of Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
1991 - 97 Research scientist, Sintef, Trondheim, Norway
1988 - 91 Research fellowship, the Research Council of Norway
1985 - 87 Hospital physician, Harstad and Trondheim, Norway
- Research leader, Department of Medical Imaging, St. Olavs Hospital
- Leader of “Norwegian Research School in Medical Imaging” (MedIm).
- Leader of MR Core Facility at NTNU/St. Olavs Hospital
- Norwegian contact person for Medical Imaging in the Preparatory phase of the ESFRI infrastructure “Euro-BioImaging”.
- Norwegian contact person for Medical Imaging in the ESFRI infrastructure EATRIS
- Leader of “Whole animal imaging network” in the national FUGE technology platform in Molecular Imaging (NorMIC)
- NTNU contact person for European Technology Platform in Nanomedicine.
- Member of National User Committee for the PET Centre in Oslo
- Appointed by European Science Foundation to be main author of a Science Policy Briefing on “Medical Imaging for Improved Patient Care” (2007)
Main Research Interest
- Clinical and preclinical application of new functional and molecular MR methods for information about physiology and organ function in brain, heart and cancer research.
- Multi-functional and multi-modal nanoparticles for imaging and image guided drug delivery.
- Image guidance in regenerative medicine.