Øyvind B. Sandbakk
Background and activities
Professor with the Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science and director of the Centre for Elite Sports Research.
My research aims to improve the understanding of sport performance, by investigating integrative physiology and biomechanics, the effects of strength and endurance training, as well as the utilization of new technology to gain further understanding of these aspects in real-life environments. I also teach these topics in Bachelor, Master and PhD courses, as well as the top coach education program.
- BEV1011 - Exercise Physiology
- BEV2006 - Training and Performance
- BEV6004 - Topptrener: Project Assignment
- BEV8007 - Applied Research in Sport and Health Science – Optimization of the Knowledge Translation
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) No Differences Between 12 Weeks of Block- vs. Traditional-Periodized Training in Performance Adaptations in Trained Cyclists. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 13.
- (2022) “Mission impossible”? How a successful female cross-country skier managed a dual career as a professional athlete and medical student A case study. Scandinavian Sport Studies Forum. vol. 13.
- (2022) Comparison of Race Time-Differences Between and Within Para and Able-Bodied Cross-Country Skiers. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living. vol. 3.
- (2022) Prevalence and Self-Perceived Experiences With the Use of Hormonal Contraceptives Among Competitive Female Cross-Country Skiers and Biathletes in Norway: The FENDURA Project. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living. vol. 4.
- (2022) Preparing for snow-sport events at the Paralympic Games in Beijing in 2022: recommendations and remaining questions. BMJ Open sport & exercise medicine. vol. 8 (1).
- (2022) The Training Characteristics of World-Class Distance Runners: An Integration of Scientific Literature and Results-Proven Practice. Sports Medicine - Open. vol. 8 (1).
- (2022) How Do the Effects of an 8-Week Intervention Influence Subsequent Performance Development in Cross-Country Skiers?. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance (IJSPP). vol. 17 (4).
- (2022) A comparison of double poling physiology and kinematics between long-distance and all-round cross-country skiers. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living.
- (2021) Effect of Carbohydrate Content in a Pre-event Meal on Endurance Performance-determining Factors: A Randomized Controlled Crossover-Trial. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living. vol. 3.
- (2021) The aerobic and anaerobic contribution during repeated 30-s sprints in elite cyclists. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 12.
- (2021) Effects of including sprints in LIT sessions during a 14-d camp on muscle biology and performance measures in elite cyclists. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. vol. 53 (11).
- (2021) Training Distribution During a Paralympic Cycle for a Multiple Swimming Champion With Paraplegia: A Case Report. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance (IJSPP). vol. 16 (12).
- (2021) Exploring intensity-dependent modulations in EEG resting-state network efficiency induced by exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 121 (9).
- (2021) Framework for in-field analyses of performance and sub-technique selection in standing para cross-country skiers. Sensors. vol. 21 (14).
- (2021) Comparison of Physiological and Biomechanical Responses to Flat and Uphill Cross-Country Sit-Skiing in Able-Bodied Athletes. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance (IJSPP). vol. 16 (11).
- (2021) EEG-derived brain graphs are reliable measures for exploring exercise-induced changes in brain networks. Scientific Reports. vol. 11.
- (2021) Mechanical energy and propulsion mechanics in roller-skiing double-poling at increasing speeds. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (7).
- (2021) Upper- vs. Lower-Body Exercise Performance in Female and Male Cross-Country Skiers. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living. vol. 3.
- (2021) Crossing the Golden Training Divide: The Science and Practice of Training World‑Class 800‑ and 1500‑m Runners. Sports Medicine. vol. 51.
- (2021) Sex differences in sleep and influence of the menstrual cycle on women's sleep in junior endurance athletes. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (6).