Background and activities
Pål Sætrom works to develop and use computational models to predict how changes in gene regulation can control development and cause disease.
Sætrom’s research focuses on non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs) and their roles in gene regulation and disease. Three major areas of research are (i) developing and validating computer models that can predict how genetic variation affects gene regulation (Nucleic Acids Res, 2011; PLoS Comput Biol, 2012; Bioinformatics, 2014); (ii) understanding the roles of ncRNAs in epigenetics and cell cycle regulation (Nucleic Acids Res, 2013; DNA Repair, 2015); and (iii) designing artificial RNAs for targeted gene regulation and therapy (Mol Ther, 2010; RNA, 2010; Hepatology, 2014).
|YEAR(s)||INSTITUTION AND LOCATION||DEGREE||FIELD OF STUDY|
|2005||NTNU, Trondheim, Norway||DPhil||Computer science (bioinformatics)|
|1996-2001||NTNU, Trondheim, Norway||M.Sc.||Computer science (algorithms)|
Positions and Employment
|2013-present||Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture, University of Nordland, Norway|
|2012-present||Professor in bioinformatics, Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2011-present||Professor in bioinformatics, Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2011||Guest researcher, Unit for Clinical Systems Biology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden with Dr. Mikael Benson|
|2008-2011||Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2007-2011||Post doctoral fellowship (Career development fellowships from NTNU and the Norwegian Research Council), Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2007||Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2006-2007||Post doctoral fellowship (Leiv Erikson research scholarship from the Norwegian Research Council), Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA (12 months) with Prof. John J. Rossi|
|2002-2006||Research scientist, Interagon AS, Trondheim, Norway|
|2001-2002||Software Developer, Fast Search & Transfer ASA, Trondheim, Norway|
|2014||Outstanding Academic Fellow, NTNU|
|2008||PNAS Cozzarelli Prize in Biological Sciences (with D.H. Kim, O. Snøve, Jr., and J.J. Rossi)|
|2007-2010||Career research fellowship, Norwegian Functional Genomics Program (FUGE), Norwegian Research Council (NRC)|
|2007-2009||Career fellowship in Medical Technology, NTNU|
|2006||Research scholarship, FUGE, NRC|
|2006||Leiv Erikson research scholarship, NRC|
Publications listed in publication databases
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Liver Activation of Hepatocellular Nuclear Factor-4α by Small Activating RNA Rescues Dyslipidemia and Improves Metabolic Profile. Molecular Therapy - Nucleic Acids. vol. 19.
- (2020) Major gene expression changes and epigenetic remodelling in Nile tilapia muscle after just one generation of domestication. Epigenetics. vol. 15 (10).
- (2020) sMETASeq: combined profiling of microbiota and host small RNAs. iScience.
- (2020) MTL-CEBPA, a Small Activating RNA Therapeutic Upregulating C/EBP-α, in Patients with Advanced Liver Cancer: A First-in-Human, Multicenter, Open-Label, Phase I Trial. Clinical Cancer Research. vol. 26 (15).
- (2019) Unique-region phosphorylation targets LynA for rapid degradation, tuning its expression and signaling in myeloid cells. eLIFE. vol. 8.
- (2019) SMUG1 Promotes Telomere Maintenance through Telomerase RNA Processing. Cell reports.
- (2019) In utero exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals, micro-RNA profiles, and fetal growth: a pilot study protocol. Journal of Public Health Research. vol. 8 (2).
- (2019) Comprehensive transcriptomic analyses of tissue, serum, and serum exosomes from hepatocellular carcinoma patients. BMC Cancer. vol. 19 (1).
- (2019) Small RNA expression from viruses, bacteria and human miRNAs in colon cancer tissue and its association with microsatellite instability and tumor location. BMC Cancer. vol. 19 (1).
- (2019) Alkyladenine DNA glycosylase associates with transcription elongation to coordinate DNA repair with gene expression. Nature Communications. vol. 10 (1).
- (2019) Combined mRNA and miRNA Analysis of Psoriatic Skin. Forum for Nordic Dermato-Venereology. vol. 24 (2).
- (2019) Differentially Expressed miRNAs and mRNAs in Psoriatic Skin. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. vol. 139 (9S).
- (2019) PyRanges: efficient comparison of genomic intervals in Python. Bioinformatics. vol. 36 (3).
- (2019) epic2 efficiently finds diffuse domains in ChIP-seq data. Bioinformatics. vol. 35 (21).
- (2019) Mechanisms involved in the activation of C/EBP? by small activating RNA in hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncogene. vol. 38 (18).
- (2018) Gene activation of CEBPA using saRNA: Preclinical studies of the first in human saRNA drug candidate for liver cancer. Oncogene. vol. 37 (24).
- (2017) An integrated expression atlas of miRNAs and their promoters in human and mouse. Nature Biotechnology. vol. 35 (9).
- (2017) Genome-wide profiling of DNA 5-hydroxymethylcytosine during rat Sertoli cell maturation. Cell Discovery. vol. 3.
- (2017) Identification of metastasis-associated microRNAs in serum from rectal cancer patients. OncoTarget. vol. 8 (52).
- (2017) MicroRNAs contribute to postnatal development of laminar differences and neuronal subtypes in the rat medial entorhinal cortex. Brain Structure and Function. vol. 222 (7).