Pål SætromProfessor Department of Computer Science Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Background and activities
Pål Sætrom works to develop and use computational models to predict how changes in gene regulation can control development and cause disease.
Sætrom’s research focuses on non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs) and their roles in gene regulation and disease. Three major areas of research are (i) developing and validating computer models that can predict how genetic variation affects gene regulation (Nucleic Acids Res, 2011; PLoS Comput Biol, 2012; Bioinformatics, 2014); (ii) understanding the roles of ncRNAs in epigenetics and cell cycle regulation (Nucleic Acids Res, 2013; DNA Repair, 2015); and (iii) designing artificial RNAs for targeted gene regulation and therapy (Mol Ther, 2010; RNA, 2010; Hepatology, 2014).
|YEAR(s)||INSTITUTION AND LOCATION||DEGREE||FIELD OF STUDY|
|2005||NTNU, Trondheim, Norway||DPhil||Computer science (bioinformatics)|
|1996-2001||NTNU, Trondheim, Norway||M.Sc.||Computer science (algorithms)|
Positions and Employment
|2013-present||Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture, University of Nordland, Norway|
|2012-present||Professor in bioinformatics, Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2011-present||Professor in bioinformatics, Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2011||Guest researcher, Unit for Clinical Systems Biology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden with Dr. Mikael Benson|
|2008-2011||Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2007-2011||Post doctoral fellowship (Career development fellowships from NTNU and the Norwegian Research Council), Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2007||Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway|
|2006-2007||Post doctoral fellowship (Leiv Erikson research scholarship from the Norwegian Research Council), Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA (12 months) with Prof. John J. Rossi|
|2002-2006||Research scientist, Interagon AS, Trondheim, Norway|
|2001-2002||Software Developer, Fast Search & Transfer ASA, Trondheim, Norway|
|2014||Outstanding Academic Fellow, NTNU|
|2008||PNAS Cozzarelli Prize in Biological Sciences (with D.H. Kim, O. Snøve, Jr., and J.J. Rossi)|
|2007-2010||Career research fellowship, Norwegian Functional Genomics Program (FUGE), Norwegian Research Council (NRC)|
|2007-2009||Career fellowship in Medical Technology, NTNU|
|2006||Research scholarship, FUGE, NRC|
|2006||Leiv Erikson research scholarship, NRC|
Publications listed in publication databases
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Genome-wide profiling of DNA 5-hydroxymethylcytosine during rat Sertoli cell maturation. Cell Discovery. vol. 3:170013.
- (2017) Identification of metastasis-associated microRNAs in serum from rectal cancer patients. OncoTarget. vol. 8 (52).
- (2017) MicroRNAs contribute to postnatal development of laminar differences and neuronal subtypes in the rat medial entorhinal cortex. Brain Structure and Function.
- (2017) NEIL3-Dependent Regulation of Cardiac Fibroblast Proliferation Prevents Myocardial Rupture. Cell reports. vol. 18.
- (2017) Gene expression differences between PAXgene and Tempus blood RNA tubes are highly reproducible between independent samples and biobanks. BMC Research Notes.
- (2016) Pathway Analysis of Skin from Psoriasis Patients after Adalimumab Treatment Reveals New Early Events in the Anti-Inflammatory Mechanism of Anti-TNF-α. PLoS ONE. vol. 11 (12).
- (2016) Excerpts from the 1st international NTNU symposium on current and future clinical biomarkers of cancer: innovation and implementation, June 16th and 17th 2016, Trondheim, Norway. Journal of Translational Medicine. vol. 14:295.
- (2016) Serum microRNAs/enriched pathways in lung cancer 1-4 years before diagnosis: A pilot study from the HUNT Biobank, Norway. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- (2016) The importance of p53 pathway genetics in inherited and somatic cancer genomes. Nature Reviews. Cancer. vol. 16 (4).
- (2016) Targeted Delivery of C/EBPα -saRNA by Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma-specific RNA Aptamers Inhibits Tumor Growth in Vivo. Molecular Therapy. vol. 24 (6).
- (2015) RNA motif discovery: a computational overview. Biology Direct. vol. 10 (1).
- (2015) A novel POLE mutation associated with cancers of colon, pancreas, ovaries and small intestine. Familial Cancer. vol. 14 (3).
- (2015) A novel POLE variant, identified by exome sequencing, causes colorectal- and extra-colonic cancers. Familial Cancer. vol. 14 (1).
- (2015) Cell cycle regulation of human DNA repair and chromatin remodeling genes. DNA Repair. vol. 30.
- (2015) AID expression in B-cell lymphomas causes accumulation of genomic uracil and a distinct AID mutational signature. DNA Repair. vol. 25.
- (2015) Human breast milk miRNA, maternal probiotic supplementation and atopic dermatitis in offspring. PLoS ONE. vol. 10:e0143496 (12).
- (2014) Error-free versus mutagenic processing of genomic uracil-Relevance to cancer. DNA Repair. vol. 19.
- (2014) Whole-exome sequencing identifies rare and low-frequency coding variants associated with LDL cholesterol. American Journal of Human Genetics. vol. 94 (2).
- (2014) Exploiting Human CD34(+) Stem Cell-conditioned Medium for Tissue Repair. Molecular Therapy. vol. 22 (1).
- (2014) The eGenVar data management system--cataloguing and sharing sensitive data and metadata for the life sciences. Database: The Journal of Biological Databases and Curation.