Pierluigi SALVO ROSSI
Background and activities
Pierluigi Salvo Rossi was born in Naples, Italy, on April 26, 1977.
He received the Dr.Eng. degree in telecommunications engineering (summa cum laude) and the Ph.D. degree in computer engineering in 2002 and 2005, respectively, both from the University of Naples “Federico II”, Italy.
From 2005 to 2008, he worked as a postdoc at the Department of Computer Science and Systems, University of Naples “Federico II”, Italy, at the Department of Information Engineering, Second University of Naples, Italy, and at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway. From 2008 to 2014, he was an assistant professor (tenured in 2011) in telecommunications with the Department of Industrial and Information Engineering, Second University of Naples, Italy. From 2014 to 2016, he was an associate professor in signal processing with the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications, NTNU, Norway. From 2016 to 2017, he was a full professor in signal processing with the Department of Electronic Systems, NTNU, Norway. From 2017 to 2019, he was a principal engineer with the Department of Advanced Analytics and Machine Learning, Kongsberg Digital AS, Norway.
Since 2019 he is a full professor in statistical machine learning with the Department of Electronic Systems, NTNU, Norway and also the director of IoT@NTNU.
He held visiting appointments at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, US, at the Department of Electrical and Information Technology, Lund University, Sweden, at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications, NTNU, Norway, and at the Excellence Center for Wireless Sensor Networks, Uppsala University, Sweden.
He is an IEEE senior member (since 2011). He serves as an executive editor for the IEEE Communications Letters (since 2019), an area editor for the IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society (since 2019), an associate editor for the IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks (since 2019) and an associate editor for the IEEE Sensors Journal (since 2021). He was an associate editor for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication (from 2015 to 2020), a senior editor for the IEEE Communication Letters (from 2016 to 2019), an associate editor for the IEEE Communication Letters (from 2012 to 2016) and a Guest Editor for Elsevier Physical Communication (in 2012). He was awarded Exemplary Senior Editor for the IEEE Communications Letters (2018).
His research interests fall within the areas of communications, machine learning, and signal processing.
- TT8108 - PhD Seminar in Signal Processing
- TFE4590 - Electronic Systems Design, Specialization Project
- TTT4275 - Estimation, Detection and Classification
- TT8111 - Signal and Estimation Theory
- TTT4130 - Digital Communication
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Energy Storage Solutions for Offshore Applications. Energies. vol. 15 (17).
- (2022) Generalized Locally Most Powerful Tests for Distributed Sparse Signal Detection. IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks. vol. 8.
- (2022) Comparative analysis of explainable machine learning prediction models for hospital mortality. BMC Medical Research Methodology. vol. 22 (1).
- (2022) Time-Frequency Fused Underwater Acoustic Source Localization Based on Contrastive Predictive Coding. IEEE Sensors Journal. vol. 22 (13).
- (2021) Digital moka: Small-scale condition monitoring in process engineering. IEEE Sensors Letters. vol. 5 (3).
- (2021) Multi-Bit & Sequential Decentralized Detection of a Noncooperative Moving Target through a Generalized Rao Test. IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks. vol. 7.
- (2021) Distributed Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks under Multiplicative Fading via Generalized Score-tests. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. vol. 8 (11).
- (2021) Wireless Sensor Networks for Detection and Localization of Subsea Oil Leakages. IEEE Sensors Journal. vol. 21 (9).
- (2020) Multi-bit Decentralized Detection through Fusing Smart and Dumb Sensors based on Rao Test. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. vol. 56 (1).
- (2020) Bandwidth-constrained Decentralized Detection of an Unknown Vector Signal via Multisensor Fusion. IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks. vol. 6.
- (2020) Sensor-Fault Detection, Isolation and Accommodation for Digital Twins via Modular Data-Driven Architecture. IEEE Sensors Journal. vol. 21 (4).