Background and activities
Dr. Aune’s research interests include Materials Process Science, which covers the study of high temperature reactions towards the processing, refining and recycling of different materials. The research strategy is based on gaining an understanding of the fundamentals of the different processes, as well as the kinetics of the relevant reactions. Focus is on traditional- and medical grade materials, as well as advanced materials like nano-materials, intermetallics, bulk metallic glasses and rare earth elements. Development of new process routes towards the synthesis of these materials, as well as for heat capturing from industrial processes and renewable/environment-friendly energy, is also an essential part of Dr. Aune’s research.
In the area of metal production and recycling Dr. Aune is focusing on the identification of the different phenomena and mechanisms of interest for refining, retention and recovery of metal values, as well as modelling and verification in order to streamline processes/process steps, or for further development of the same. In order to meet the future product and process requirements of metallurgical industry her intention is to direct the research towards finding appropriate process routes in order to achieve new product features and/or production requirements. Multi-disciplinary approaches and new forms of cooperation are key components in Dr. Aune’s research.
The role of Materials Science in the treatment of cancer has also caught Dr. Aune’s attention, and efforts are made to improve the standards for eliminating side effects caused by deployment from and degradation of medical devices, as well as in identifying important criteria’s for evaluating loss of performance due to material-drug-biological system interactions base on in-vitro simulations, in-vivo results and in-silico modelling.
Through multidisciplinary research projects Dr. Aune has established scientific collaboration with a number of universities, institutes and industries both inside and outside of the Scandinavian countries. She is presently the main supervisor of 7 PhD student working within a divers filed of research all having connection to resource efficient metal production/recycling, new material design, characterisation of material properties, recovery of heat/energy during metal production, environmental impact etc.
Dr. Aune is the author/co-author of > 145 journal publications with a referee system, reports, books and conference proceedings, and 1 patent (the patented technology is licensed by Pyrotek – EMP Technologies Ltd., UK). She is presently developing a "Smart Catheter" together with a German company that will be eligible for patenting.
- TMT4166 Experimental Materials Chemistry and Electrochemistry
- TMT4171 Introduction to Materials Science
- TMT4206 Fluid flow and Heat Transfer, Introductory Course
- TMT4276 Basic Thermodynamics
- TMT4326 Refining and Recycling of Metals
- TMT4330 Resources, Energy and Environment
- TMM4852 Experts in Teamwork - Biomaterials and Medical Devices: Body Parts of the Future
Present Ph.D. students (main supervisor)
- David Dominikus Eide Brennhaugen, Design and Production of a New Soft Magnetic Glassy Material for Magnetic Applications
- Daniel Perez Clos, Scaling in Heat Recovery Systems for Aluminium Production Off-Gas
- Massoud Hassanabadi, Electromagnetically Enhanced Priming of Surface Modified Porous Media
- Tianming Sun, Recovery of Rare Earth Elements from Industrial Waste
- Ali Tabeshian, Zr-Based Metallic Glasses as Biomaterials – Design, Production and Characterization
- Maren Kirknes Fossum, Chemotherapy and Blood Induced Degradation of Surface Modified Intravascular Catheters
- Cathrine Kyung Won Solem, Parametric Study of Molten Aluminium Oxidation in Relation to Dross Formation
Present M.Sc. students (main supervisor)
- Zozan Tunc, In-vivo and In-vitro Chemotherapeutic Treatment of CVCs - A Comparative Study of Surface Alterations
- Hannes Z. Edel, Immage Analyses - Quantitative vs. Qualitative Results
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) MODELLING OF FLOW CHARACTERISTICS IN THE PORE-SCALE GEOMETRY OF CERAMIC FOAM FILTERS (CFFs). Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2019) Optimization of Boron Treatment for Production of 1370 Electrical Conductive Grade Aluminium Alloy. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2019) CHARACTERIZATION OF ALUMINA CERAMIC FOAM FILTERS PART I: PERMEABILITY WITHIN THE CFF BLOCKS. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2019) CHARACTERIZATION OF ALUMINA CERAMIC FOAM FILTERS PART II: PERMEABILITY WITHIN THE CFF GRADES. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2018) Probing heat generation during tensile plastic deformation of a bulk metallic glass at cryogenic temperature. Scientific Reports.
- (2018) Tensile properties of Zr70Ni16Cu6Al8 BMG at room and cryogenic temperatures. Journal of Alloys and Compounds.
- (2018) EVALUATION OF FILTRATION EFFICIENCY OF CERAMIC FOAM FILTERS (CFF) USING A HYDRAULIC WATER SYSTEM. JOM: The Member Journal of TMS.
- (2018) Preliminary Experimental Study of the Thermal Stability and Chemical Reactivity of the Phosphate-Based Binder used in Al2O3-Based Ceramic Foam Filters (CFFs). The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2018) Comparison of the electrochemical behavior of amorphous Zr55Cu30Ni5Al10, stainless steel (316LVM), and CoCrMo (F75) in simulated body fluid with and without addition of protein. Materials and corrosion - Werkstoffe und Korrosion.
- (2017) Predictive modeling of glass forming ability in the Fe-Nb-B system using the CALPHAD approach. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. vol. 707.
- (2017) Design of circular, square, single, and multi-layer induction coils for electromagnetic priming using inductance estimates. Metallurgical and materials transactions. B, process metallurgy and materials processing science. vol. 49 (1).
- (2017) Pyrometallurgical Treatment of Apatite Concentrate with the Objective of Rare Earth Element Recovery: Part II. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2017) Pyrometallurgical Treatment of Apatite Concentrate with the Objective of Rare Earth Element Extraction: Part I. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2016) Analysis on Experimental Investigation and Mathematical Modeling of Incompressible Flow Through Ceramic Foam Filters. Metallurgical and materials transactions. B, process metallurgy and materials processing science. vol. 47 (4).
- (2016) Reduction kinetics of commercial haematite pellet in a fixed bed at 1123-1273 K. Ironmaking & steelmaking. vol. 43 (5).
- (2016) Reduction of commercial hematite pellet in isothermal fixed bed-experiments and numerical modelling. Ironmaking & steelmaking. vol. 43 (1).
- (2016) Design of square induction coils for the electromagnetic priming of ceramic foam filters. Light Metals. vol. 2016-January.
- (2016) Tribocorrosion studies of metallic biomaterials: The effect of plasma nitriding and DLC surface modifications. Journal of The Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. vol. 63.
- (2016) Degradation of Zr-based bulk metallic glasses used in load-bearing implants: A tribocorrosion appraisal. Journal of The Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. vol. 60.
- (2015) An investigation on permeability of ceramic foam filters (CFF). Light Metals. vol. 2015-January.