Ragnhild Elizabeth Aune
Background and activities
Dr. Aune’s research interests include Materials Process Science, which covers the study of high temperature reactions towards the processing, refining and recycling of different materials. The research strategy is based on gaining an understanding of the fundamentals of the different processes, as well as the kinetics of the relevant reactions. Focus is on traditional- and medical grade materials, as well as advanced materials like nano-materials, intermetallics, bulk metallic glasses and rare earth elements. Development of new process routes towards the synthesis of these materials, as well as for heat capturing from industrial processes and renewable/environment-friendly energy, is also an essential part of Dr. Aune’s research.
In the area of metal production and recycling Dr. Aune is focusing on the identification of the different phenomena and mechanisms of interest for refining, retention and recovery of metal values, as well as modelling and verification in order to streamline processes/process steps, or for further development of the same. In order to meet the future product and process requirements of metallurgical industry her intention is to direct the research towards finding appropriate process routes in order to achieve new product features and/or production requirements. Multi-disciplinary approaches and new forms of cooperation are key components in Dr. Aune’s research.
The role of Materials Science in the treatment of cancer has also caught Dr. Aune’s attention, and efforts are made to improve the standards for eliminating side effects caused by deployment from and degradation of medical devices, as well as in identifying important criteria’s for evaluating loss of performance due to material-drug-biological system interactions base on in-vitro simulations, in-vivo results and in-silico modelling.
Through multidisciplinary research projects Dr. Aune has established scientific collaboration with a number of universities, institutes and industries both inside and outside of the Scandinavian countries. She is presently the main supervisor of 7 PhD student working within a divers filed of research all having connection to resource efficient metal production/recycling, new material design, characterisation of material properties, recovery of heat/energy during metal production, environmental impact etc.
Dr. Aune is the author/co-author of > 160 journal publications with a referee system, reports, books and conference proceedings, and 1 patent (the patented technology is licensed by Pyrotek – EMP Technologies Ltd., UK).
- TMT4166 Experimental Materials Chemistry and Electrochemistry
- TMT4326 Refining and Recycling of Metals
- TMT4330 Resources, Energy and Environment
- TMM4852 Experts in Teamwork - Biomaterials and Healthcare
Present Ph.D. students (main supervisor)
- Daniel Perez Clos, Scaling in Heat Recovery Systems for Aluminium Production Off-Gas
- Massoud Hassanabadi, Electromagnetically Enhanced Priming of Surface Modified Porous Media
- Tianming Sun, Recovery of Rare Earth Elements from Industrial Waste
- Maren Kirknes Fossum, Chemotherapy and Blood Induced Degradation of Surface Modified Intravascular Catheters
- Cathrine Kyung Won Solem, Parametric Study of Molten Aluminium Oxidation in Relation to Dross Formation
- Are Bergin, Mechanistic Study of the Drain Free CFF Filtration Technology on the Metal Cleanliness of Aluminium and Its Alloys
- Mohammad Ibrahim, Atomization of Silicon Based Materials for Additive Manufacturing
Present M.Sc. students (main supervisor)
Kari Ravnestad Kjørholt, Development of TiN Thin Film Coatings for Biomedical Applications
- Dr. Robert Fritzsch, Research area: Melting, filtration, circulation and refining of light metals, experimental design and process engineering, modelling and simulations
- Hannes Zedel, Research area: Quantitative and qualitative image analyses, metal cleanliness, LiB-recycling, data analysis, modelling
- Dr. Mahmood Khan, Research area: Metal matrix composites, composite processing, materials characterization, non-destructive testing, mechanical testing
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Compression Testing of Ceramic Foam Filters (CFFs) Submerged in Aluminium at Operating Temperature. Light Metals.
- (2021) Experimental Study on the Chemical Stability of Phosphate Bonded Al2O3-based Ceramic Foam Filters (CFFs). Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B.
- (2021) Influence of Mg Concentration on the Inhibiting Effect of CO2 on the Rate of Oxidation of Aluminum Alloys 5182 and 6016. Light Metals.
- (2021) Sampling Procedure, Microstructural Charaterisation and Quantitative Analyses of Industrial Aluminium White Dross Samples. International Conference on Molten Slags Fluxes and Salts : Proceedings.
- (2021) Automated Metal Cleanliness Analyzer (AMCA) – An Alternative Assessment of Metal Cleanliness in Aluminum Melts. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2020) Titanium Carbide Coating on Graphene Nanoplatelets. Journal of Materials Research and Technology (JMR&T). vol. 9 (3).
- (2020) Physical and Mechanical Properties of Graphene Nanoplatelets Reinforced Al6061-T6 Composites processed by Spark Plasma Sintering. JOM. vol. 72 (6).
- (2020) Evaluation of the Effect of CO2 Cover Gas on the Rate of Oxidation of an AlMgSi Alloy. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2019) Investigation on scale formation in aluminium industry by means of a cold-finger. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2019) Grain Refinement of Commercial EC Grade 1370 Aluminium Alloy for Electrical Applications. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2019) MODELLING OF FLOW CHARACTERISTICS IN THE PORE-SCALE GEOMETRY OF CERAMIC FOAM FILTERS (CFFs). Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2019) Optimization of Boron Treatment for Production of 1370 Electrical Conductive Grade Aluminium Alloy. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2019) CHARACTERIZATION OF ALUMINA CERAMIC FOAM FILTERS PART I: PERMEABILITY WITHIN THE CFF BLOCKS. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2019) CHARACTERIZATION OF ALUMINA CERAMIC FOAM FILTERS PART II: PERMEABILITY WITHIN THE CFF GRADES. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.
- (2019) Evaluation of Filtration Efficiency of Ceramic Foam Filters (CFF) Using a Hydraulic Water System. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2019) Friction Stir Processing (FSP) of Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes and Boron Carbide Reinforced Aluminum Alloy (Al 5083) Composites. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2019) Effect of graphene nanoplatelets on the physical and mechanical properties of Al6061 in fabricated and T6 thermal conditions. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. vol. 790.
- (2019) Investigation of glass forming ability in the Zr-rich part of the Zr-Fe-Al ternary system. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 125 (6).
- (2019) Estimation of Aluminum Melt Filtration Efficiency Using Automated Image Acquisition and Processing. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2018) Probing heat generation during tensile plastic deformation of a bulk metallic glass at cryogenic temperature. Scientific Reports. vol. 8 (1).