Background and activities
I have a position as head of Neonatology at St. Olavs hopsital and is associate professor at IKOM, NTNU. I am a neonaytologist by training and has worked as a consultant in neonataology for many years. I am part of the CEBRA research group at IKOM, and I teach and do research on topics related to clinical neonatology.
Particular interests are early neuroprotection after perinatal asphyxia, early dettection of cerebral palsy in high-risk infants and ethical challenges related to infants born at the border of viability. I am also involved in several projects on newborn health in a global perspective.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Therapeutic hypothermia for neonatal hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy in India (THIN study): a randomised controlled trial. Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition.
- (2019) Machine Learning of Infant Spontaneous Movements for the Early Prediction of Cerebral Palsy: A Multi-Site Cohort Study. Journal of Clinical Medicine. vol. 9 (1).
- (2019) Skin-to-skin contact during eye examination did not reduce pain compared to standard care with parental support in preterm infants. Acta Paediatrica.
- (2019) The Predictive Accuracy of the General Movement Assessment for Cerebral Palsy: A Prospective, Observational Study of High-Risk Infants in a Clinical Follow-Up Setting. Journal of Clinical Medicine. vol. 8 (11).
- (2019) NeoDoppler: New ultrasound technology for continous cerebral circulation monitoring in neonates. Pediatric Research. vol. 87 (1).
- (2018) Characteristics of general movements in preterm infants assessed by computer-based video analysis. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. vol. 34 (4).
- (2018) Effects of Probiotic Supplementation on the Gut Microbiota and Antibiotic Resistome Development in Preterm Infants. Frontiers in pediatrics. vol. 6 (November 2018).
- (2018) Randomised controlled trial showed that neonates received better pain relief from a higher dose of sucrose during venepuncture. Acta Paediatrica. vol. 107 (12).
- (2018) Investigation of an outbreak caused by antibiotic susceptible Klebsiella oxytoca in a neonatal intensive care unit in Norway. Acta Paediatrica.
- (2018) NICU dialects: Understanding Norwegian practice variation. Pediatrics. vol. 142.
- (2017) Spedbarns spontanbevegelsar: utvikling av "in-Motion"-appen. Fysioterapeuten.
- (2017) Neonatal morbidity and 1-year survival of extremely preterm infants. Pediatrics. vol. 139 (3).
- (2017) Computer-based video analysis identifies infants with absence of fidgety movements. Pediatric Research. vol. 82 (4).
- (2017) Case-control study demonstrates that surfactant without intubation delayed mechanical ventilation in preterm infants. Acta Paediatrica. vol. 106 (4).
- (2016) Early motor repertoire in very low birth weight infants in India is associated with motor development at one year. European journal of paediatric neurology. vol. 20 (6).
- (2016) Skin-to-Skin Care After Birth for Moderately Preterm Infants. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing. vol. 45 (3).
- (2016) Early skin-to-skin contact or incubatorfor very preterm infants: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. vol. 17 (1).
- (2016) White matter injury and general movements in high-risk preterm infants. American Journal of Neuroradiology. vol. 38 (1).
- (2016) Relationship between white matter pathology and performance on the General Movement Assessment and the Test of Infant Motor Performance in very preterm infants. Early Human Development. vol. 95.
- (2016) Frequency analysis and feature reduction method for prediction of cerebral palsy in young infants. IEEE transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering. vol. 24 (11).