Rein Ove Sikveland
Background and activities
Conversation analyst and phonetician.
I research social interaction in the workplace, including crisis negotiations, and interactions between members of the public and service providers within health and commercial organizations.
I co-develop CARM, an approach to turning conversation anlaytic research into training for professionals.
I am co-chief investigator in the CAiTE project (Conversation Analytic innovation for Teacher Education) at the University of South-Eastern Norway (USN), investigating the oral assessment practices used in interactions between teachers and students in Norwegian secondary schools. We implement and evaluate training for teacher students based on conversation analytic research.
I co-ordinate the Master programme in speech therapy at NTNU.
I have a BA and MA degree from NTNU (2000-2005); a PhD from the University of York (2008-2011); I was Research Fellow at the University of Oxford (2011-2013) and Loughborough University (2014-2019).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) How teachers use prosody to guide students towards an adequate answer. Linguistics and Education. vol. 61.
- (2020) Putting persuasion (back) in its interactional context. Qualitative Research in Psychology. vol. 17 (3).
- (2020) Vocabularies of social influence: Managing the moral accountability of influencing another. British Journal of Social Psychology.
- (2020) Overcoming Suicidal Persons’ Resistance Using Productive Communicative Challenges during Police Crisis Negotiations. Applied Linguistics. vol. 41 (4).
- (2020) Should police negotiators ask to ‘talk’ or ‘speak’ to persons in crisis? Word selection and overcoming resistance to dialogue proposals. Research on Language and Social Interaction. vol. 53 (3).
- (2020) When delayed responses are productive: Being persuaded following resistance in conversation. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 155.
- (2020) Can humans simulate talking like other humans? Comparing simulated clients to real customers in service inquiries. Discourse Studies. vol. 22 (1).
- (2019) Persuasive Conduct: Alignment and Resistance in Prospecting “Cold” Calls. Journal of Language and Social Psychology. vol. 38 (1).
- (2019) Failed summons: Phonetic features of persistence and intensification in crisis negotiation. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 150.
- (2019) The backstage work negotiators do when communicating with persons in crisis. Journal of Sociolinguistics.
- (2017) Enquiry calls to GP surgeries in the United Kingdom: Expressions of incomplete service and dissatisfaction in closing sequences. Discourse Studies. vol. 19 (4).
- (2017) Using prosodic cues to identify dialogue acts: methodological challenge. Text & Talk. vol. 37 (3).
- (2017) Entering the customer's domestic domain: Categorial systematics and the identification of ‘parties to a sale’. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 118.
- (2016) Dealing with resistance in initial intake and inquiry calls to mediation: The power of “Willing”. Conflict Resolution Quarterly. vol. 33 (3).
- (2016) Patient burden during appointment-making telephone calls to GP practices. Patient Education and Counseling. vol. 99 (8).
- (2016) Formulating solutions in mediation. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 105.
- (2016) Calling the GP surgery: patient burden, patient satisfaction, and implications for training. British Journal of General Practice. vol. 66 (652).
- (2012) Negotiating towards a next turn: Phonetic resources for ‘doing the same’. Language and Speech. vol. 55 (1).
- (2012) Holding gestures across turns: Moments to generate shared understanding. Gesture. vol. 12 (2).
- (2021) Samtaleanalyse. En praktisk innføring. Cappelen Damm Akademisk. 2021. ISBN 9788202689711.
Part of book/report
- (2010) Spontal-N: A Corpus of Interactional Spoken Norwegian. Proceedings of the Seventh conference on International Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'10).
- (2009) Cross-language differences in the production of phrasal prominence in Norwegian and German. Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the Xth Conference, Helsinki 2008.
- (2011) Co-ordination of speech and gesture in sequence and time: Phonetic and non-verbal detail in face-to-face interaction. 2011.
- (2019) Progressivity for voice interface design. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Conversational User Interfaces ; 2019-08-22 - 2019-08-23.