Background and activities
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Minimising the use of physical restraint in acute mental health services: The outcome of a restraint reduction programme ('REsTRAIN Yourself'). International Journal of Nursing Studies. vol. 95.
- (2019) Staff experiences and understandings of the REsTRAIN Yourself initiative to minimize the use of physical restraint on mental health wards. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. vol. 28 (4).
- (2019) International variations in mental-health law regulating involuntary commitment of psychiatric patients as measured by the Mental Health Legislation Attitudes Scale. Medicine, Science and the Law. vol. 59 (2).
- (2019) Restraint minimisation in mental health care: legitimate or illegitimate force? An ethnographic study. Sociology of Health and Illness.
- (2019) “Catching your tail and firefighting”: The impact of staffing levels on restraint minimization efforts. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. vol. 26 (5-6).
- (2019) Is the global prevalence rate of adult mental illness increasing? Systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica.
- (2019) Person-job congruence, compassion and recovery attitude in Community Mental Health Team. Journal of Mental Health.
- (2018) Care home manager attitudes to balancing risk and autonomy for residents with dementia. Aging & Mental Health. vol. 22 (2).
- (2018) The Structured Assessment of Violence Risk in Adults with Intellectual Disability: A Systematic Review. JARID: Journal of applied research in intellectual disabilities. vol. 31 (1).
- (2018) Contested understandings of recovery in mental health. Journal of Mental Health. vol. 27 (5).
- (2017) Assessing protective factors for violence risk in U.K. General Mental Health Services using the structured assessment of protective factors. International journal of offender therapy and comparative criminology. vol. 62 (12).
- (2017) Factors associated with police decisions on immediate responses to intimate partner violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- (2017) Examining the relationship between burnout and empathy in healthcare professionals: A systematic review. Burnout Research. vol. 6.
- (2015) Service users’ experiences and views of aggressive situations in mental health care: a systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare. vol. 8.
- (2015) Practitioner explanations for the increasing use of restraint measures in the care of people with intellectual disabilities in Norway 2000-11. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities. vol. 12 (1).
- (2015) Job stress, burnout and job satisfaction in staff working with people with intellectual disabilities: community and criminal justice care. Journal of intellectual disabilities and offending behaviour. vol. 6 (1).
- (2014) Dynamic relationship between multiple START assessments and violent incidents over time: a prospective cohort study. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 14 (1).
Part of book/report
- (2014) Clinical Risk Assessment. A Companion to Criminal Justice, Mental Health and Risk.