Rolf W. Gråwe
Background and activities
Currently my main positions are as a clinical psychologist at the Nidaros Community Mental Health Center (Nidaros DPS) and a Senior Researcher at the Department of Research and Development (AFFU), Division of Mental Health, St. Olav’s University Hospital in Trondheim, Norway. I also have a secondary 20% position as a professor at Institute of Mental Health at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
I am a clinical psychologist and PhD with main research areas severe mental disorders and substance use disorders. I have authored or co-authored about 180 publications, whereas half of these are scientific original publications in refereed journals. Several of these includes experimental studies assessing the effects of different psychosocial interventions for mental disorders and substance use disorders. I have also published 17 book or book chapters. Many of these books are clinical recommendations and descriptions about how to help persons with schizophrenia, anxiety, depression or substance use disorders.
I have also had the honor of helping the Norwegian Directorate of Health to make national guidelines for different mental disorders and substance use disorders.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Mobile Sensing in Substance Use Research: A Scoping Review. Telemedicine journal and e-health.
- (2019) Effect of intranasal oxytocin on alcohol withdrawal syndrome: A randomized placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trial. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. vol. 197.
- (2018) The effects of routine outcome monitoring (ROM) on therapy outcomes in the course of an implementation process: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of Counseling Psychology. vol. 65 (5).
- (2018) Population-based associations among cannabis use, anxiety, and depression in Norwegian adolescents. Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse. vol. 27 (4).
- (2018) The effects of a pretreatment educational group programme on mental health treatment outcomes: A randomized controlled trial. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 18:665.
- (2017) Patient satisfacion with treatments and outcomes in residential addiction institutions. Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. vol. 34 (5).
- (2017) Predictors of long term use of psychiatric services of patients with recent-onset schizophrenia: 12 years follow-up. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 17 (18).
- (2016) Short-term effects of a peer co-led educational programme delivered before mental health treatment: A randomised controlled trial. Patient Education and Counseling. vol. 99 (7).
- (2016) The effect of a brief educational programme added to mental health treatment to improve patient activation: A randomized controlled trial in community mental health centres. Patient Education and Counseling. vol. 99 (5).
- (2016) Long-Term Changes in Musculoskeletal Pain Sites in the General Population: The HUNT Study. Journal of Pain. vol. 17 (11).
- (2015) Mental health and substance use problems among patients in substance use disorder treatment as reported by patients versus treatment personnel. Journal of Substance Use. vol. 20 (4).
- (2014) Domains and Perceived Benefits of Treatment Among Patients With and Without Co-Occurring Disorders in Inpatient Substance Use Treatment. Journal of Dual Diagnosis (JDD). vol. 10 (2).
- (2014) Integrert behandling av rus og psykiske lidelser i en sikkerhetspsykiatrisk avdeling. Nordisk tidsskrift for helseforskning. vol. 10 (1).
- (2014) Randomiserte kontrollerte studier av psykologisk behandling for samtidig posttraumatisk stresslidelse og ruslidelse. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. vol. 51 (1).
- (2014) Prevalence and long-term predictors of persistent chronic widespread pain in the general population in an 11-year prospective study: the HUNT study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 15 (1).
- (2014) Psychosocial factors and risk of chronic widespread pain: An 11-year follow-up study - The HUNT study. Pain. vol. 155 (8).
- (2014) Socio-demographic, lifestyle and psychological predictors of benzodiazepine and z-hypnotic use patterns. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 68 (2).
- (2014) The effectiveness of integrated treatment in patients with substance use disorders co-occurring with anxiety and/or depression - a group randomized trial. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 14 (67).
- (2013) Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Psychotic Symptoms: A Randomized Controlled Effectiveness Trial. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy. vol. 41 (5).
- (2013) Clusters of personality traits and psychological symptoms associated with later benzodiazepine prescriptions in the general population: The HUNT Cohort Study. Addictive Behaviours. vol. 38 (10).