Rolf W. Gråwe
Background and activities
I am a clinical psychologist and PhD with main research areas in severe mental disorders and substance use disorders. I have in lifetime authored or co-authored about 150 publications, whereas about half of these (currently 79, Sept 2020) are scientific original publications in peer refereed journals. Fifteen are primary outcome publications from RCT’s. I have also published 35 books or book chapters - many are clinical recommendations about how to help persons with schizophrenia, anxiety, depression or substance use disorders/SUD.
I have also had the honor of helping the Norwegian Directorate of Health to make national guidelines for different mental disorders and SUD. I have participated in several experimental studies assessing the effects of different psychosocial interventions for mental disorders and SUD, and lately a pharmacological double blind RCT in treating alcohol withdrawal syndrome/AWS. I have supervised(co-supervised 10 candidates to PhD and many more MA theses. I am currently supervising/co-supervising 4 PhD student projects (on psychosocial and pharmacological interventions) - three of these have a primary focus on SUD.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Mobile Sensing in Substance Use Research: A Scoping Review. Telemedicine journal and e-health.
- (2019) Effect of intranasal oxytocin on alcohol withdrawal syndrome: A randomized placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trial. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. vol. 197.
- (2018) The effects of routine outcome monitoring (ROM) on therapy outcomes in the course of an implementation process: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of Counseling Psychology. vol. 65 (5).
- (2018) Population-based associations among cannabis use, anxiety, and depression in Norwegian adolescents. Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse. vol. 27 (4).
- (2018) The effects of a pretreatment educational group programme on mental health treatment outcomes: A randomized controlled trial. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 18:665.
- (2017) Patient satisfacion with treatments and outcomes in residential addiction institutions. Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. vol. 34 (5).
- (2017) Predictors of long term use of psychiatric services of patients with recent-onset schizophrenia: 12 years follow-up. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 17 (18).
- (2016) Short-term effects of a peer co-led educational programme delivered before mental health treatment: A randomised controlled trial. Patient Education and Counseling. vol. 99 (7).
- (2016) The effect of a brief educational programme added to mental health treatment to improve patient activation: A randomized controlled trial in community mental health centres. Patient Education and Counseling. vol. 99 (5).
- (2016) Long-Term Changes in Musculoskeletal Pain Sites in the General Population: The HUNT Study. Journal of Pain. vol. 17 (11).
- (2015) Mental health and substance use problems among patients in substance use disorder treatment as reported by patients versus treatment personnel. Journal of Substance Use. vol. 20 (4).
- (2014) Domains and Perceived Benefits of Treatment Among Patients With and Without Co-Occurring Disorders in Inpatient Substance Use Treatment. Journal of Dual Diagnosis (JDD). vol. 10 (2).
- (2014) Integrert behandling av rus og psykiske lidelser i en sikkerhetspsykiatrisk avdeling. Nordisk tidsskrift for helseforskning. vol. 10 (1).
- (2014) Randomiserte kontrollerte studier av psykologisk behandling for samtidig posttraumatisk stresslidelse og ruslidelse. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. vol. 51 (1).
- (2014) Prevalence and long-term predictors of persistent chronic widespread pain in the general population in an 11-year prospective study: the HUNT study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 15 (1).
- (2014) Psychosocial factors and risk of chronic widespread pain: An 11-year follow-up study - The HUNT study. Pain. vol. 155 (8).
- (2014) Socio-demographic, lifestyle and psychological predictors of benzodiazepine and z-hypnotic use patterns. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 68 (2).
- (2014) The effectiveness of integrated treatment in patients with substance use disorders co-occurring with anxiety and/or depression - a group randomized trial. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 14 (67).
- (2013) Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Psychotic Symptoms: A Randomized Controlled Effectiveness Trial. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy. vol. 41 (5).
- (2013) Clusters of personality traits and psychological symptoms associated with later benzodiazepine prescriptions in the general population: The HUNT Cohort Study. Addictive Behaviours. vol. 38 (10).