Sindre Andre Pedersen
Background and activities
Subject responsible for Medicine, Journal Subsriptions, Research & Reserch Support Services (Systematic Literature Searching, Open Data, Open Access Publishing, Copyright and Academic Writing)
PhD in Physiology at the Biological department (NTNU) in 2008. Post doc, Researcher and University Lecturer at the Biological department (NTNU) between 2008-2014.
My research focuses on understanding how antropogencally driven changes such as ocean acidification and climate chage will affect marine organisms and their ecosystem. I'm particularly interested in:
- Linking effects of elevated CO2 with other environmental stressors such as temperature, environmental contaminants, salinity, oxygen concentration
- Understanding effects of environmental change at life-cycle level
- Phenotypic and genotypic plasticity
- Physiological effects
- Molecular mechanisms
Publications in PubMed:
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sindre_Pedersen
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=Fe38sjIAAAAJ&hl=en
Media Coverage of my research
- Gemini 2014: http://gemini.no/2014/10/surt-hav-mindre-mat-til-fisken/
- Forskning.no 2014:http://forskning.no/2014/10/matfatet-krymper-nar-havet-forsures-0
- Adressavisa 2014: http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/innenriks/article10278820.ece
- Science Nordic 2014: http://sciencenordic.com/acidic-ocean-may-mean-less-fish
Peer review contributions
Effects of ocean acidification scenarios and combined stress on the copepod Calanus finmarchicus (2010-2014)
Photo of an adult Calanus finmarchicus
This reserch project on effects of ocean acidification (2010-2014) was funded by the Norwegian Reserch Council and was coordinated by NTNU in collaboration with, SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, SINTEF Ficheries and Aquaculture and Biotrix.
The main objective of the project was to assess how near future ocean acidification scenarios may affect the ecologically important marine copepod "Raudåte" (Calanus finmarchicus). This species is linking the energy transfer between primary producers and higher level organisms like fish. At times, of the Norwegian coast, in may constitute up to 90% of the standing stock of zooplankton. In addition to studies focusing on ocean acidification studies aimed at investigating combined effects from raising seawater temperature (global warming) and different food regimes was also performed. The empirical date generated by the experiments have been feed into into population modelling studies to allow us to address the socio-economic impacts of future ocean conditions on this species.
Picture of the microcosm system developed for 1 month experiments on growth and development in Calanus finmarchicus. The system consists of 12 experimental bottles that receive a flow through of seawater pre equilibrated with 4 different levels of CO2.
Experimental equipment needed for the different experiments was designed and assembled. A custom gas mixing system has been developed to deliver stable and accurate flow of five different future atospheric CO2 scenarios. This system is implemented at the experimental facilies at NTNU SeaLab.
A dedicated CO2 lab is finished and several experiments have been successfully conducted. The CO2 lab houses a system compising 14 tanks (90L) comitted to CO2 perturbation experiments of long duration.
Photo of Munidopsis serricornis on Lophelia corals.
Photo of optic intermittent respirometry system used to measure oxygen consumtion in Munidopsis serricornis.
The system is currently used in an expreiment on the combined effect of ocean acidifiation and rising temperature on the deep water squat lobster Munidopsis serricornis, an imporant component of the cold water reefs. The project is a collaboration between NTNU and Johanna Järnegrene at NINA.
Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in information about the reserch facility and possibilities for collaborations.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Acceptability, feasibility, and efficacy of Internet cognitive behavioral therapy (iCBT) for pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder: a systematic review. Systematic Reviews. vol. 8:284.
- (2019) Statistical approaches in the studies assessing associations between human milk immune composition and allergic diseases: A scoping review. Nutrients. vol. 11 (10).
- (2019) Cognitive behavioural group therapy for male perpetrators of intimate partner violence: a systematic review. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 19.
- (2019) Flunarizine as prophylaxis for episodic migraine: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Pain. vol. 160 (4).
- (2018) Ocean acidification ameliorates harmful effects of warming in primary consumer. Ecology and Evolution. vol. 8 (1).
- (2016) Biofeedback as prophylaxis for pediatric migraine: A meta-analysis. Pediatrics. vol. 138:e20160675 (2).
- (2014) Multigenerational exposure to ocean acidification during food limitation reveals consequences for copepod scope for growth and vital rates. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 48 (20).
- (2014) Effects of elevated carbon dioxide (CO2) concentrations on early developmental stages of the marine copepod Calanus finmarchicus gunnerus (Copepoda: Calanoidae). Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A. vol. 77 (9-11).
- (2014) Effects of elevated dissolved carbon dioxide and perfluorooctane sulfonic acid, given singly and in combination, on steroidogenic and biotransformation pathways of atlantic cod. Aquatic Toxicology. vol. 155.
- (2013) The easy road to genome-wide medium density SNP screening in a non-model species: development and application of a 10K SNP-chip for the house sparrow (Passer domesticus). Molecular Ecology Resources. vol. 13 (3).
- (2013) Deep-water prawn Pandalus borealis displays a relatively high pH regulatory capacity in response to CO2-induced acidosis. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 492.
- (2013) Medium-term exposure of the North Atlantic copepod Calanus finmarchicus (Gunnerus, 1770) to CO2-acidified seawater: effects on survival and development. Biogeosciences. vol. 10 (11).
- (2012) Elevated seawater levels of CO2 change the metabolic fingerprint of tissues and hemolymph from the green shore crab Carcinus maenas. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part D:Genomics and Proteomics. vol. 7 (3).
- (2012) Raudåtas framtid i et surere og varmere hav. Klima. vol. 6.
- (2012) Developmental and reproductive adaptation to CO2-induced ocean acidification scenarios: A multi-generational study using the marine copepod Calanus finmarchicus. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part A: Comparative Physiology. vol. 163 (S8).
- (2011) Transcriptional Effects of Dietary Exposure of Oil-Contaminated Calanus finmarchicus in Atlantic Herring (Clupea harengus). Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A. vol. 74 (7-9).
- (2011) Structural characteristics of a novel antifreeze protein from the longhorn beetle Rhagium inquisitor. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. vol. 41 (2).
- (2011) Variation in MHC genotypes in two populations of house sparrow (Passer domesticus) with different population histories. Ecology and Evolution. vol. 1 (2).
- (2011) Do ice nucleating lipoproteins protect frozen insects against toxic chemical agents?. Journal of insect physiology. vol. 57 (8).
- (2009) Potensial for utnyttelse av antifryseproteiner i sjømat og oppdrett. Norsk Sjømat.
- (2008) Kaldrøkt laks er ferskvare ned til -2.9 °C!. Norsk Sjømat.
- (2008) Cadmium is deposited in the gut content of larvae of the beetle Tenebrio molitor and involves a Cd-binding protein of the low cysteine type. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology. vol. 148.
- (2008) Is the strategy for cold hardiness in insects determined by their water balance? A study on two closely related families of beetles: Cerambycidae and Chrysomelidae. Journal of Comparative Physiology. B, Biochemical, Systemic, and Environmental Physiology. vol. 178.
- (2008) Salt-induced enhancement of antifreeze protein activity: A salting-out effect. Cryobiology. vol. 57 (2).
- (2007) Induction and activity of oxidative stress-related proteins during waterborne Cd/Zn-exposure in brown trout (Salmo trutta). Chemosphere. vol. 67 (11).
- (2007) First report of phytochelatins in a mushroom: induction of phytochelatins by metal exposure in Boletus edulis. Mycologia. vol. 99.
- (2007) Potensial for utnyttelse av antifryseproteiner i sjømat og oppdrett. Norsk Sjømat.
- (2007) Ionic regulation of insects during cold exposure and dehydration stress. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A. vol. 146.
- (2007) Isolation and preliminary characterization of a Cd-binding protein from Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology. vol. 145.
- (2006) Cold hardiness in relation to trace metal stress in the freeze-avoiding beetle Tenebrio molitor. Journal of insect physiology. vol. 52.
- (2005) Isolation and characterization of hemolymph antifreeze proteins from larvae of the longhorn beetle Rhagium inquisitor (L.). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part B: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. vol. 142.
- (2004) Inorganic ions in cold-hardiness. Cryobiology. vol. 48.
- (2004) Ice nucleation in solutions and freeze-avoiding insects - homogeneous or heterogeneous?. Cryobiology. vol. 48.
- (2002) Sodium regulation during dehydration of a herbivorous and a carnivorous beetle from African dry savannah. Journal of insect physiology. vol. 48.
- (2002) Volume regulation during dehydration of desert beetles. Comparative biochemistry and physiology. B. Comparative biochemistry. vol. 133 (3).
- (1999) Antifreeze activity in the cerambycid beetle Rhagium inquisitor. Journal of Comparative Physiology A. Sensory, neural, and behavioral physiology. vol. 169.
- (1998) Antifreeze activity in the cerambycid beetle Rhagium inquisitor. Journal of Comparative Physiology A. Sensory, neural, and behavioral physiology.
Part of book/report
- (2010) Interactions between cold, desiccation and environmental toxins. Low temperature biology of insects.
- (2004) Advantages and Disadvantages of Freeze-Tolerance and Freeze-Avoidance Overwintering Strategies. Life in the Cold - Evolution, Mechanisms, Adaptation, and Application.
- (2007) Metal binding proteins and antifreeze proteins in the beetle Tenebrio molitor - a study on possible competition for the semi-essential amino acid cysteine. 2007.
- (1998) Vannbalanse og natrium regulering ved dehydrering hos en herbivor og en carnivor billeart fra tørr savanne. 1998.
- (2017) Ph.d.-støttetilbud ved NTNU Universitetsbiblioteket - et utvalg. Virak. Konferansen for universitets- og høgskolebibliotek. . Bibliotekene ved UiO, BI og HiOA på oppdrag fra UHR B; Oslo. 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-13.
- (2016) The cold-water coral associated squat lobster Munidopsis serricornis in a future ocean, how is it affected by increasing CO2 and temperature?. 6th International Symposioum Deep Sea Corals . Woods Hole Oceanografic Institution; Boston, USA. 2016-09-11 - 2016-09-16.
- (2015) Acid-base regulation and gene expression in the shore crab Carcinus maenas during environmental hypercapnia. PRIMO 18 . NTNU; Trondheim. 2015-05-24 - 2015-05-27.
- (2014) Kildebruk og referansehåndtering; tips fra Bibliotek for medisin og helse.
- (2014) Open Access - kunnskap for alle!.
- (2013) Klimaendringer: Utfordringer med et varmere og surere hav. Politikerbesøk ved NTNU . NTNU; NTNU Senter for Fiskeri og Havbruk (SeaLab). 2013-05-31 - 2013-05-31.
- (2013) Raudåtas framtid i et varmere og surere hav. Havet og Kysten forskningsseminar . NFR; Trondheim. 2013-11-13 - 2013-11-14.
- (2013) Long-term effects of ocean acidification simulations on Calanus finmarchicus: Developmental delay and reduced fecundity as a consequence of reduced scope for growth. Nordic Marine Science Conferance ; 2013-10-28 - 2013-10-30.
- (2011) Elevated seawater CO2 induces a shift in the metabolic fingerprint in the shore crab Carcinus maenas. SETAC North America 32nd Annual Meeting . SETAC North America; Boston, Massachusetts, USA. 2011-11-13 - 2011-11-17.
- (2011) "I en dråpe vann". Utstilling og show om plankton ved arrangementet Researcher's Night 2011, NTNU, under Forskningsdagene 2011. Researcher's Night 2011 . NTNU; Realfagbygget, NTNU, Trondheim. 2011-09-23 - 2011-09-23.
- (2011) Microarray-assisted assessment of toxicity of oil, mercury and CO2 to the marine copepod Calanus finmarchicus. SETAC Europe 21st Annual Meeting . SETAC; Milan. 2011-05-15 - 2011-05-19.
- (2010) Inbreeding and genetic variation in the immune system. Sustainable Conservation: Bridging the gap between disciplines . Centre for Conservation Biology, NTNU; Trondheim. 2010-03-15 - 2010-03-18.
- (2010) A study of metabolomics and gene expression in the shore crab Carcinus maenas exposed to elevated seawater CO2 levels. SETAC Europe 20th Annual Meeting ; Seville. 2010-05-23 - 2010-05-27.
- (2010) Metabolite and gene responses in the green crab Carcinus maenas exposed to elevated seawater CO2 Levels. SETAC North America 31st Annual Meeting . SETAC; Portland. 2010-11-07 - 2010-11-11.
- (2010) Metabolite and gene responses in the green shore crab Carcinus maenas exposed to elevated seawater CO2 levels. SETAC North America 31st Annual Meeting ; Portland, Oregon. 2010-11-07 - 2010-11-11.
- (2010) Physiological effects of elevated seawater CO2 levels on the green shore crab Carcinus maenas and the deep-water shrimp Pandalus borealis. 3rd Norwegian Environmental Toxicology Symposium ; Bergen. 2010-04-14 - 2010-04-16.
- (2009) Adaptive genetic variation and inbreeding in house sparrows. European Society for Evolutionary Biology 12th Congress . European Society for Evolutionary Biology; Torino. 2009-08-24 - 2009-08-29.
- (2009) Adaptive genetic variation and inbreeding in house sparrows. ESF Conservation Genetics Conference . NINA, NTNU; Trondheim. 2009-05-23 - 2009-05-26.
- (2007) Ionic regulation of insects during cold exposure and dehydration stress. Annual Main Meeting of the Society for Experimental Biology . Society for Experimental Biology; Glasgow. 2007-03-31 - 2007-04-03.
- (2005) Effects of metals (Cd, Cu, Zn) and climate stress on antifreeze protein concentration and gene expression in mealworm larvae (Tenebrio molitor, Coleoptera). XIII International Conference on Heavy Metals in the Environment . CETEM; Rio de Janeiro. 2005-06-05 - 2005-06-09.
- (2005) Effects of metals on antifreeze protein production. Vintermøte . Norsk Fysiologisk Forening; Trysil. 2005-03-27.
- (2005) Isolation and preliminary characterization of a Cd-containing protein from Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptara) – distinction from metallothioneins. International Symposium on the Environmental Physiology of Ectotherms and Plants . Roskilde Universitet; Roskilde. 2005-07-11.
- (2005) Vannbalanse og kuldeherdning. Norsk Fysiologisk forenings Vintermøte . Norsk Fysiologisk forening; Trysil. 2005-01-27 - 2005-01-30.
- (2005) Ice Nucleation in Nature. International Symposium on the Environmenntal Physiology of Ectotherms and Plants (ISEPEP) . Roskilde University; Roskilde. 2005-07-11 - 2005-07-16.
- (2004) Combined effects of trace metal exposure (Cd, Cu, Zn) and climatic stress on antifreeze protein levels in mealworm larvae (Tenebrio molitor, Coleoptera). NorFa Network Seminar . Århus Universitet; Rønjebjerg Feltstasjon. 2004-08-26.
- (2004) Environmental stress-factors and physiological features as determinants of strategy for low temperature tolerance. Annual NorFA-meeting . NorFA/GESS, Nordic network in environmental stress research; Rønbjerg. 2004-08-26 - 2004-08-29.
- (1998) Water balance and sodium regulation during dehydration in a herbivorous and a carnivorous beetle from African dry savannah. Third European Workshop of Invertebrate Ecophysiology . [Mangler data]; The University of Birmingham, U.K..
- (1998) Sodium regulation during dehydration of a herbivorous and a carnivorous beetle from African dry savannah. Møte . Entomologisk Forening; Kongsvoll. 1998-04-14.
- (1998) Intracellular Antifreeze Peptides in Cold-Hardy Insects. Third European Workshop of Invertebrate Ecophysiology . [Mangler data]; The University of Birmingham.