Background and activities
Interests and engagements
I am currently head of department of Department of Marine Technology.
I am director of the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre (UTC) "Performance in a Seaway", see http://www.ntnu.edu/imt/rolls_royce for more information.
I am one of two members of the standing committee of Symposium of Marine Propulsors
I am engaged in the planning of the new marine technology research center in Trondheim - www.oceanspacecentre.no/
Other topics of interest are:
- Model test techniques
- Resistance and propulsion
- Seakeeping of ships, including propulsion in waves
- Performance of high speed marine vehichles, especially air cushion catamaran
I am lecturing the following courses:
- TMR 4217 Hydrodynamics of high speed marine vehicles Spring-term Msc-course covering all aspects of hydrodynamic performance of high speed marine vehicles.
- TMR7 Experimental methods in marine hydrodynamics - module in the final year of Msc, included in TMR4300 and TMR4525.
- PhD course MR8306 Hydrodynamics of marine structures 2
- PhD course MR8308 Advanced experimental methods in marine hydrodynamics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Fuel savings for a general cargo ship employing retractable bow foils. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 76.
- (2018) Global sensitivity analysis and repeated identification of a modular maneuvering model of a passenger ferry. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 74.
- (2018) Revitalization of short sea shipping through slender, simplified and standardized designs SMC-007-2016. Transactions - Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers. vol. 124.
- (2017) Multivariate time series data mining in ship monitoring database. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 139 (6).
- (2017) Uncertainty of full-scale manoeuvring trial results estimated using a simulation model. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 64.
- (2017) Validation of ship manoeuvring models using metamodels. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 66.
- (2017) Predicting thrust loss of ship propellers due to ventilation and out-of-water effect. Journal of Ship Research. vol. 61 (4).
- (2017) Experimental analysis on the risk of vortex ventilation and the free surface ventilation of marine propellers. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 67.
- (2017) Effect of waves on cavitation and pressure pulses of a tanker with twin podded propulsion. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 65.
- (2017) Simulation of a two-stroke diesel engine for propulsion in waves. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering. vol. 9 (4).
- (2016) A CFD-based scaling approach for ducted propellers. Ocean Engineering. vol. 123.
- (2016) Scale effects on open water characteristics of a controllable pitch propeller working within different duct designs. Ocean Engineering. vol. 112.
- (2016) Calculation of EEDIweather for a general cargo vessel. Ocean Engineering. vol. 122.
- (2016) Model test and simulation of a ship with wavefoils. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 57.
- (2016) Experimental Study of the Effect of Drift Angle on a Ship-Like Foil with Varying Aspect Ratio and Bottom Edge Shape. Ocean Engineering. vol. 121.
- (2016) Use of Tunnel- and Azimuthing Thrusters for Roll Damping of Ships. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Effect of waves on cavitation and pressure pulses. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 60.
- (2016) The effect of waves on engine-propeller dynamics and propulsion performance of ships. Ocean Engineering. vol. 122.
- (2015) Hydrodynamic resistance analysis of new hull design for multipurpose amphibious vehicle applying with finite volume method. Jurnal Teknologi. vol. 74 (5).
- (2014) Influence of ducted propeller on seakeeping in waves. Ocean Engineering. vol. 91.