Trude Rakel Balstad
Background and activities
Clinical dietian and reseracher in the Research group for cancer and palliative care,
Department of clinical and molecular medicine, NTNU.
- Clinical Dietitian from the University of Oslo, 2004
- Basic course in University teaching (100 hours), Institute for Educational Research, Faculty of Educational Sciences, University of Oslo, 2009
- PhD, University of Oslo, 2010
- Cancer cachexia: treatment, classification and biomarkers
- Malnutrition and nutritional therapy for cancer patients
- Validation of methods for assessment of nutritional status and food intake in cancer patients
- MENAC study: Multimodal treatment of cancer cachexia
- CAX-24: development of quality of life form for cancer cachexia
- Paraenteral nutrition in patients with incurable cancer (PATNIC study)
- Cancer Patients' understanding and use of PG-SGA (CASOL study)
Teaching and supervising:
- Leader of the PhD programme in Palliative Care (2015-2017), and coordinator of a PhD course in palliative care research
- Teaching at various palliative care courses arranged by the Regional advisory unit for palliative care, Mid-Norway, and at the master programme in Pain and Palliative Care, NTNU
- Supervision of master students, medical students and students at the Nordic Specialist Course in Palliative Medicine
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Patient interpretation of the Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) Short Form. Patient Preference and Adherence. vol. 13.
- (2019) A systematic review examining nutrition support interventions in patients with incurable cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- (2019) Food intake by Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) corresponds to energy and protein intake as well as weight change in patients with advanced cancer. Clinical Nutrition Experimental. vol. 25.
- (2019) Combining optimal nutrition and exercise in a multimodal approach for patients with active cancer and risk for losing weight: Rationale and practical approach. Nutrition - The International Journal of Applied and Basic Nutritional Sciences. vol. 67-68:110541.
- (2019) Deterioration in Muscle Mass and Physical Function Differs According to Weight loss History in Cancer Cachexia. Cancers. vol. 11 (1925).
- (2019) Pain management index (PMI)-does it reflect cancer patients' wish for focus on pain?. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- (2019) Effects of current parenteral nutrition treatment on health-related quality of life, physical function, nutritional status, survival and adverse events exclusively in patients with advanced cancer: A systematic literature review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. vol. 139.
- (2018) Multimodal behandling av kakeksi hos kreftpasienter. Bestpractice Onkologi/Hematologi. vol. 36.
- (2018) Endpoints in clinical trials in cancer cachexia: where to start?. Current opinion in supportive and palliative care. vol. 12 (4).
- (2018) Cancer cachexia: Rationale for the MENAC (Multimodal - Exercise, Nutrition and Anti-inflammatory medication for Cachexia) trial. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care. vol. 8.
- (2017) A randomized phase II feasibility trial of a multimodal intervention for the management of cachexia in lung and pancreatic cancer. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. vol. 8.
- (2017) A cross-sectional study examining the prevalence of cachexia and areas of unmet need in patients with cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- (2017) Development of the EORTC QLQ-CAX24, A Questionnaire for Cancer Patients With Cachexia. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. vol. 53 (2).
- (2016) PhD and Master education – an update. Palliative Medicine. vol. 30 (6).
- (2016) Evaluation of Physical Function Outcomes Related to Change in Muscle Mass in Patients with Cancer Cachexia. Palliative Medicine.
- (2015) Corrigendum to "Dietary treatment of weight loss in patients with advanced cancer and cachexia: A systematic literature review" [Crit. Rev. Oncol./Hematol. 91 (2014) 210-221]. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. vol. 94 (1).
- (2014) Multimodal nutrition/anabolic therapy for wasting conditions. Current opinion in clinical nutrition and metabolic care. vol. 17 (3).
- (2014) Dietary treatment of weight loss in patients with advanced cancer and cachexia: A systematic literature review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. vol. 91 (2).
- (2013) Effect of physical exercise on muscle mass and strength in cancer patients during treatment : A systematic review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. vol. 88 (3).
- (2013) Health-related quality of life in cancer patients with cachexia. Psycho-Oncology. vol. 22.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Ernæring - generelle prinsipper. Palliasjon. Nordisk lærebok. 3. utgave.
- (2019) Parenteral nutrition therapy in patients with incurable cancer: A retrospective medical chart review of current practice. 41st ESPEN Congress on Clinical Nutrition & Metabolism . The European Society of Clinical nutrition and Metabolism; Krakow. 2019-08-31 - 2019-09-03.
- (2019) Clinical effects of current parenteral nutrition in patients with advanced cancer, a systematic review. 41st ESPEN Congress on Clinical Nutrition & Metabolism . The European Society of Clinical nutrition and Metabolism; Krakow. 2019-08-31 - 2019-09-03.
- (2018) Health care providers’ experiences of positive and negative effects of parenteral nutrition therapy in cancer patients. ESMO 2018 Congress . European Society for Medical Oncology; München. 2018-10-19 - 2018-10-23.
- (2016) PhD and Master education – an update. 9th World Research Congress of the European Association for Palliative Care . European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC); Dublin. 2016-06-09 - 2016-06-11.
- (2015) Effect of palliative cancer care on malnutrition and cachexia. Cachexia and nutrition in advanced cancer patients: A multidisciplinary approach . European School of Oncology; Barcelona. 2015-03-13 - 2105-03-14.
- (2015) A randomised, open-label trial of a Multimodal Intervention (Exercise, Nutrition and Anti-inflammatory Medication) plus standard care versus standard care alone to precent / attenuate cachexia in advanced cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. 2015 ASCO Annual Meeting . American Society of Clinical Oncology; Chricago. 2015-05-29 - 2015-06-02.