Trude Rakel Balstad
Background and activities
Clinical Dietitian and researcher in the Research group for Cancer and Palliative Care, working with multimodal interventions for cancer cachexia and projects aiming to improve the evidence and quality of nutritional assessment and support in advanced cancer.
- Clinical Dietitian from the University of Oslo, 2004
- Basic course in University teaching (100 hours), Institute for Educational Research, Faculty of Educational Sciences, University of Oslo, 2009
- PhD, University of Oslo, 2010
- Cancer cachexia: treatment, classification and biomarkers
- Malnutrition and nutritional therapy for cancer patients
- Validation of methods for assessment of nutritional status and food intake in cancer patients
- MENAC study: Multimodal treatment of cancer cachexia
- CAX-24: development of quality of life form for cancer cachexia
- Paraenteral nutrition in patients with incurable cancer (PATNIC study)
- Cancer Patients' understanding and use of PG-SGA (CASOL study)
Teaching and supervising:
- Leader of the PhD programme in Palliative Care (2015-2017), and coordinator of a PhD course in palliative care research
- Teaching at various palliative care courses arranged by the Regional advisory unit for palliative care, Mid-Norway, and at the master programme in Pain and Palliative Care, NTNU
- Supervision of master students, medical students and students at the Nordic Specialist Course in Palliative Medicine
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Power comparisons and clinical meaning of outcome measures in assessing treatment effect in cancer cachexia: secondary analysis from a randomised pilot multimodal intervention trial. Frontiers in Nutrition. vol. 7:602775.
- (2020) Harris-Benedict-ligningen for å estimere individers basalmetabolske rate er 100 år!. Norsk Tidsskrift for Ernæring. vol. 1.
- (2020) Exercise and nutrition interventions in patients with head and neck cancer during curative treatment: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrients. vol. 12:3233 (11).
- (2020) Linguistic and content validation of the translated and culturally adapted PG-SGA, as perceived by Norwegian cancer patients and healthcare professionals. Clinical Nutrition ESPEN. vol. 38.
- (2020) Physical rehabilitation in patients with head and neck cancer: Impact on health-related quality of life and suitability of a post-treatment program. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology (LIO). vol. 5 (2).
- (2019) Patient interpretation of the Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) Short Form. Patient Preference and Adherence. vol. 13.
- (2019) A systematic review examining nutrition support interventions in patients with incurable cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- (2019) Food intake by Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) corresponds to energy and protein intake as well as weight change in patients with advanced cancer. Clinical Nutrition Experimental. vol. 25.
- (2019) Combining optimal nutrition and exercise in a multimodal approach for patients with active cancer and risk for losing weight: Rationale and practical approach. Nutrition - The International Journal of Applied and Basic Nutritional Sciences. vol. 67-68:110541.
- (2019) Deterioration in muscle mass and physical function differs according to weight loss history in cancer cachexia. Cancers. vol. 11 (12).
- (2019) Pain management index (PMI)-does it reflect cancer patients' wish for focus on pain?. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- (2019) Effects of current parenteral nutrition treatment on health-related quality of life, physical function, nutritional status, survival and adverse events exclusively in patients with advanced cancer: A systematic literature review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. vol. 139.
- (2018) Cancer cachexia: Rationale for the MENAC (Multimodal - Exercise, Nutrition and Anti-inflammatory medication for Cachexia) trial. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care. vol. 8.
- (2018) Multimodal behandling av kakeksi hos kreftpasienter. Bestpractice Onkologi/Hematologi. vol. 36.
- (2018) Endpoints in clinical trials in cancer cachexia: where to start?. Current opinion in supportive and palliative care. vol. 12 (4).
- (2017) A randomized phase II feasibility trial of a multimodal intervention for the management of cachexia in lung and pancreatic cancer. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. vol. 8.
- (2017) A cross-sectional study examining the prevalence of cachexia and areas of unmet need in patients with cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- (2017) Development of the EORTC QLQ-CAX24, A Questionnaire for Cancer Patients With Cachexia. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. vol. 53 (2).
- (2014) Multimodal nutrition/anabolic therapy for wasting conditions. Current opinion in clinical nutrition and metabolic care. vol. 17 (3).
- (2014) Dietary treatment of weight loss in patients with advanced cancer and cachexia: A systematic literature review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. vol. 91 (2).