Background and activities
Area of Work
- TEP4120 Engineering Thermodynamics
- TEP4215 Energy and Process / Process Integration
- NTNU coordinator for HighEFF (2016-2024)
- Coordinator for NTNU-MIT collaboration (2013-2016)
- Efficient use of energy in the process industries
- Low temperature processes (ASU, LNG)
- Design methodology for industrial plants and power stations based on (1) Pinch Analysis, (2) Exergy Analysis, and (3) Mathematical Optimization
Skills and Expertise
- Design and optimization of heat exchanger networks
- Thermodynamics, including Pinch Analysis and Eksergy Analysis
- Process Optimization
- MSc in Physics, NTNU, 1978
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, NTNU, 1982
- Norsk Hydro Research Centre, Porsgrunn, 1981-1993
- Telemark Institute of Technology (Professor), Porsgrunn, 1993-1996
- NTNU, Department of Energy and Process Engineering, 1996-present
- Running - from 1500 m to marathon =:-)
- Music - but lack of time =:-(
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Simulation-based approach for integrating work within heat exchange networks for sub-ambient processes. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 203.
- (2020) Work Exchange Networks (WENs) and Work and Heat Exchange Networks (WHENs): A review of the current state of the art. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 59 (2).
- (2019) A novel cost-effective silica membrane-based process for helium extraction from natural gas. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 121.
- (2019) Optimization of helium extraction processes integrated with nitrogen removal units: A comparative study. Computers and Chemical Engineering.
- (2019) Process design and economic optimization of boil-off-gas re-liquefaction systems for LNG carriers. Energy. vol. 173.
- (2019) Nonsmooth Formulation for Handling Unclassified Process Streams in the Optimization of Work and Heat Exchange Networks. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (22).
- (2019) A study of working fluids for Organic Rankine Cycles (ORCs) operating across and below ambient temperature to utilize Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) cold energy. Energy. vol. 167.
- (2019) Organic Rankine Cycle with Pure and Mixed Working Fluids for LNG Cold Energy Recovery. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 76.
- (2019) Model reformulations for Work and Heat Exchange Network (WHEN) synthesis problems. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 125.
- (2018) Work and heat integration: An emerging research area. Energy. vol. 158.
- (2018) Optimal cryogenic processes for nitrogen rejection from natural gas. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 112.
- (2018) Recovery of cold energy from liquefied natural gas regasification: Applications beyond power cycles. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 174.
- (2018) Optimal Use of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Cold Energy in Air Separation Units. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 57 (17).
- (2018) Comparison of Liquefaction Processes for FLNG. ISOPE - International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Proceedings. vol. 2018-June.
- (2018) Development and use of exergy efficiency for complex cryogenic processes. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 171.
- (2018) Conceptual design of an efficient Hydrogen production process from Natural Gas using an extension to the “G-H” methodology. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 44.
- (2018) Modeling and simulation of energy systems: A review. Processes. vol. 6:238 (12).
- (2018) Simulation of a Dual Mixed Refrigerant Process using i Nonsmooth Framework. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 44.
- (2018) Versatile Simulation Method for Complex Single Mixed Refrigerant Natural Gas Liquefaction Processes. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 57 (17).
- (2018) Simulation of dual mixed refrigerant natural gas liquefaction processes using a nonsmooth framework. Processes. vol. 6 (10).