Background and activities
Vahid Hassani received his Master of Science degree (hons.) in 2005, with a final thesis on "Control under Communication Constraints". In 2006, Vahid joined the research group of the legendary Profs. Michael Athans and Antonio Pascoal, where he was engaged in the research and development of novel methodologies in robust adaptive control using multi-model techniques.
He received his PhD in 2012 and joined SINTEF Ocean, Formerly known as the Norwegian Marine Technology Research Institute (MARINTEK), as a research scientist in 2013, where he has been conducting research in many fields of marine control, including dynamic positioning, the design of ride control systems for high speed vessels and surface effect ships, and the virtual prototyping of marine systems and operations. Moreover, he has been involved in the development of new methodologies for cyber-physical hybrid model testing at SINTEF Ocean.
In 2014, Vahid undertook a 50% postdoctoral research fellowship at AMOS. In 2015, he became an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Marine Technology, NTNU, where he has been active in teaching and supervising master and PhD candidates. Vahid’s main research interests lie in optimal control, numerical optimization, and robust adaptive control (and estimation) with applications to fault detection, parameter estimation, and autonomous systems. He is currently devising several new national and international research projects on remote and autonomous cargo vessels, sea state estimation, and emission control in marine systems.
In parallel to his research and teaching duties, Vahid was an editor, technical program chair, and vice-chair of the national organizing committee of the 10th IFAC Conference on Control Applications in Marine Systems (CAMS 2016) held in Trondheim, Norway, September 2016.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Path planning for marine vehicles using Bezier curves. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).
- (2018) Data-driven control in marine systems. Annual Reviews in Control. vol. 46.
- (2018) Detection of mooring line failures using Dynamic Hypothesis Testing. Ocean Engineering. vol. 159.
- (2018) Roll damping of a surface effect ship with split air cushion. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).
- (2017) Robust Dynamic Positioning of offshore vessels using mixed-μ synthesis modeling, design, and practice. Ocean Engineering. vol. 129.
- (2017) Icing diagnosis in unmanned aerial vehicles using an LPV multiple model estimator. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) A multiple model adaptive architecture for the state estimation in discrete-time uncertain LPV systems. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2016) Use of Tunnel- and Azimuthing Thrusters for Roll Damping of Ships. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Robust Lateral Control of a Surface Effect Ship using H∞ Mixed Sensitivity Synthesis. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Modeling and Course Control of Sailboats. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Roll Stabilization Control of Sailboats. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2014) Experimental Results on Motion Regulation in High Speed Marine Vessels. IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation.
- (2013) Multiple Model Adaptive Estimation for Open Loop Unstable Plants. Proceedings of the ECC'2013. Proceedings of the IEEE.
- (2013) A novel methodology for robust dynamic positioning of marine vessels: theory and experiments. American Control Conference (ACC).
Part of book/report
- (2018) High-level demonstration of holistic design and optimisation process of Offshore Support Vessel. Marine Design XIII, Volume 1 Proceedings of the 13th International Marine Design Conference (IMDC 2018), June 10-14, 2018, Helsinki, Finland.
- (2018) Real-Time Parameter Estimation of Nonlinear Vessel Steering Model Using Support Vector Machine. ASME 2018 37th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 11B: Honoring Symposium for Professor Carlos Guedes Soares on Marine Technology and Ocean Engineering.
- (2018) Parameters Estimation of Nonlinear Manoeuvring Model for Marine Surface Ship Based on PMM Tests. ASME 2018 37th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 11B: Honoring Symposium for Professor Carlos Guedes Soares on Marine Technology and Ocean Engineering.
- (2017) OMAE2017-61771 Cyber Security Issues in Navigation Systems of Marine Vessels From Control Perspective. ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 7B: Ocean Engineering.
- (2016) Virtual prototyping of maritime systems and operations. ASME 2016 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 7: Ocean Engineering.
- (2016) Establishment of a Validation and Benchmark Database for the Assessment of Ship Operation in Adverse Conditions. ASME 2016 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 1: Offshore Technology; Offshore Geotechnics.