Background and activities
June 2016–, Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine (IKOM), Faculty of medicine and health sciences, NTNU. Researcher
2014–2016, Dept. of Biotechnology, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology, NTNU. Senior postdoctoral fellow
2010–2014, Vectron Biosolutions AS, Trondheim, Norway. Chief scientific officer
2008–2009, Dept. of Biotechnology, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology, NTNU, Norway. Research scientist
2006–2007, Dept. of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Canada. Postdoctoral fellow
PhD in Medicine. Linköping University, Sweden (2004)
Medical degree. Capital Medical University, China (1992)
- Genetic epidemiology, epigenetics, molecular/medical microbiology
- Lifestyle factors as potential risk of developing chronic diseases such as cancer and dementia
- Causal inference between risk factors and chronic diseases
- Associations between oral health and general health
- Study design in population studies
- Applied statistical modeling
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) The validity of self-reported number of teeth and edentulousness among Norwegian older adults, the HUNT Study. BMC Oral Health. vol. 22 (1).
- (2021) Vitamin D status and risk of type 2 diabetes in the Norwegian HUNT cohort study: Does family history or genetic predisposition modify the association?. BMJ Open Diabetes Research & Care. vol. 9 (1).
- (2021) Asthma and asthma symptom control in relation to incidence of lung cancer in the HUNT study. Scientific Reports.
- (2021) Coupling of the engineered DNA “mutator” to a biosensor as a new paradigm for activation of silent biosynthetic gene clusters in Streptomyces. Nucleic Acids Research (NAR). vol. 49 (14).
- (2021) Assessing the role of genome-wide DNA methylation between smoking and risk of lung cancer using repeated measurements: the HUNT Study. International Journal of Epidemiology.
- (2020) Hours lying down per day, as a proxy for sedentary behaviour and risk of diabetes in young and middle-aged adults in Norway: an 11-year follow-up of the HUNT study. BMJ Open. vol. 10 (3).
- (2020) Health-related quality of life and sleep quality after 12 months of treatment in nonsevere obstructive sleep apnea: A randomized clinical trial with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure and Mandibular Advancement Splints. International Journal of Otolaryngology.
- (2020) Friedman Score in Relation to Compliance and Treatment Response in Nonsevere Obstructive Sleep Apnea. International Journal of Otolaryngology.
- (2020) Self-reported sleep quality with mandibular advancement device or continuous positive airway pressure: A randomized clinical trial on patients with mild and moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Journal of Dental Sleep Medicine (JDSM). vol. 7 (2).
- (2020) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level in relation to weight change and the risk of weight gain in adults of normal weight at baseline: the Norwegian HUNT cohort study. BMJ Open.
- (2020) Mixed evidence for the relationship between periodontitis and Alzheimer’s disease: A bidirectional Mendelian randomization study. PLOS ONE.
- (2019) Prolonged sitting, its combination with physical inactivity and incidence of lung cancer: Prospective data from the HUNT study. Frontiers in Oncology. vol. 9:101.
- (2019) Adiposity and asthma in adults: a bidirectional Mendelian randomisation analysis of The HUNT Study. Thorax.
- (2019) Body mass index and all cause mortality in HUNT and UK Biobank studies: linear and non-linear mendelian randomisation analyses. The BMJ. vol. 364.
- (2018) Potential causal associations of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D with lipids: a Mendelian randomization approach of the HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). vol. 34 (1).
- (2018) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of lung cancer and histologic types: a Mendelian randomization analysis of the HUNT study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 51 (6).
- (2017) Identification of genes affecting alginate biosynthesis in Pseudomonas fluorescens by screening a transposon insertion library. BMC Genomics. vol. 18:11.
- (2017) Development of a Biosensor Concept to Detect the Production of Cluster-Specific Secondary Metabolites. ACS Synthetic Biology. vol. 6 (6).
- (2017) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level, chronic diseases and all-cause mortality in a population-based prospective cohort: the HUNT Study, Norway. BMJ Open. vol. 7 (6).
- (2017) Associations of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level with incidence of lung cancer and histologic types in Norwegian adults: a case-cohort analysis of the HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). vol. 33 (1).