University Schools (School-University Partnership)
University schools are lower and upper secondary schools that work in close partnership with NTNU. They conduct research and development to promote learning by school students combined with forward-looking teacher education. The teachers and the school management are highly skilled. They help to motivate school students and educate Norway's best teachers.
In cooperation with the school owners, Sør-Trøndelag County Authority and the Municipality of Trondheim, the research from the university schools will be shared with other schools to strengthen the development of lower and upper secondary schools throughout the county of Sør-Trøndelag.
Charlottenlund ungdomsskole (lower secondary school) and Charlottenlund videregående skole (upper secondary school) started as university schools in August 2015. See a video clip from the official opening of the university schools (the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, NRK – in Norwegian).
The agreement between the partners
The framework agreement between NTNU, Sør-Trøndelag County Authority and the Municipality of Trondheim outlines the reasons for the university- school partnership::
We aim to
- develop insight into ways to strengthen school students’ motivation and learning
- conduct experiments using innovative teaching in a safe and secure setting
- strengthen the school’s capacity for systematic development and improve teachers’ skills
- strengthen teacher education through greater integration of discipline subjects, subjects in programmes of professional study, and practical training
- conduct research and development in schools
- conduct research and development in teacher education
The university schools have limited capacity, however, and cannot participate in all research projects even if the projects are relevant and good. A working committee with members from the schools, NTNU, Sør-Trøndelag County Authority and the Municipality of Trondheim will set priorities for the projects. The priority is based on the relevance of the project and the capacity of the schools.
Proposals for projects
Send proposals for projects by email to Project Manager Ingrid Stenøien. The working committee will consider the projects.