Course - Stakeout - GEOM2920
GEOM2920 - Stakeout
Examination arrangement: Portfolio assessment
Grade: Letter grades
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
Construction survey is about going from designed positions, to positions in the field.
With modern land survey equipment and increase of digital modelling during the design phase, the digital workflow and general digital competence is required of the construction survey engineer.
Main topics in this course:
- Planning, measurements, calculation/analysis and reporting for stakeout/construction survey
- Horizontal datums, projections and vertical datums
- Use of land survey programs
- Contractual understanding, tolerances
- Drawing comprehension
- Establishment and control of terrain model
- Road design, road construction and as-built with total station/satellite equipment
- Digital data flow
- BIM/model based projects
- Machine control
- Norwegian standards, regulations and manuals for road and rail related to construction surveys
- Report writing
After completed course, the candidate shall:
- Be able to discuss and apply knowledge of different stakeout tasks, stakeout equipment, practical stakeout and control methods based on combination of theoretical and practical experience-based project assignments
- Be able to describe and apply knowledge of practical establishment of a geodetic network for use in typical stakeout tasks relevant for building and construction industry
- Be able to describe key concepts, principles, procedures and methods used in stakeout survey
- Be able to describe and evaluate opportunities and limitations for digital data flow
- Be able to describe and apply theory related to the different tools and methods used for geodetic network establishment, facts, concepts, principles, procedures related to stakeout and civil engineering
After completed course, the candidate shall be able to:
- Describe and demonstrate practical skills with land survey equipment and associated software
- Prepare stakeout layout plans, as well as control of established stakeout layout plans
- Plan and carry through update of terrain model using land survey instruments and software
- Design a simple road, performing stakeout and document the quality of the stakeout
- Be able to independently and in collaboration with others to plan and implement civil engineering survey projects where the need for establishment of benchmarks, establishment of terrain model and transformations can be included
- General knowledge in practical stakeout of points, lines and curves, and conducting as-built surveys
- Overview of current guidelines within Norwegian standards and laws related to stakeout
- Basic competence in drawing interpretation
Learning methods and activities
- Practical assignments using land surveying equipment
- Project/portofolio work
- The course have compulsory assignments that must be conducted on NTNU Gjøvik campus. Schedule will be provided at start of semester.
Further on evaluation
The portfolio evaluation consists of 4 written reports that are given a single grade (A - F), that makes up 100% of the grade in the course. 2 individual and 2 group assignments.
All 4 assignments must be passed to pass the course. If not pass or absence due to sickness documented with medical certificate; all 4 assignment can be resubmitted the following semester in agreement with course coordinator.
Deadlines for receiving feedback from course instructor per portofolio assignment is given at start of the semester - these deadlines will be spread evenly during the semester. All 4 portofolio assigments is then handed in at the end of the semester for evaluation. This hand-in is done individually in Inspera, all 4 portofolio-assignments must be handed in per candidate.
Guidance is given during the semester by practical guidance (instruments and software) and help with calculations and structure of reports.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Recommended previous knowledge
- GEOM1110 - Introduction to engineering geomatics
Required previous knowledge
- GEOM2110 - Surveying
- Literature list given at start of semester
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2024
Language of instruction: Norwegian
Examination arrangement: Portfolio assessment
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Spring ORD Portfolio assessment 100/100 ALLE INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"