Course - Hydraulic power systems - MASA2332
MASA2332 - Hydraulic power systems
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2020/2021
The course will provide a basic understanding of hydraulic power transmission systems, so that the student can perform design and analysis on simple systems. The course includes: hydraulic energy conversion and transmission, hydrostatics, hydrodynamics, energy conservation, impulse equation, loss in systems with pipes, valves / components and narrow passages.
Features of components included in hydraulic systems: Engines, pumps, cylinders, control valves, tank, coolers, etc.
Basic principles of control technology: Instrumentation technique. Logical controls, Regulators. System technical principles. Interface and interaction. Modeling and simulation.
The course will also provide basic knowledge of various hydraulic fluids, properties and environmental factors.
Knowledge: After completing the course, the student will
- have a basic knowledge of the properties and applications of hydraulic power systems
- have knowledge of relevant terminology
- have basic knowledge of the principle structure and function of oil-hydraulic systems.
- have knowledge of the design of systems based on the above.
- have knowledge of components that in hydraulic power systems.
- have knowledge of the environmental and social consequences of improper use of hydraulic systems.
- be familiar with regulations that deal with simple dimensioning based on standardized procedures / regulations.
Skills: After completing the course the student should be able to
- plan design of simple hydraulic systems and components.
- find and apply the necessary regulations that deal with the dimensioning and construction of simple hydraulic systems.
- carry out estimation calculations and dimensioning of hydraulic / pneumatic components based on performance and efficiency.
- be able to design simple hydraulic power systems.
- be able to create simple simulation models and simulate behavior in simple hydraulic systems.
- be able to design form drawings (manual and digital) for hydraulic power systems according to international standards (ISO).
General competence: After completing the course the student should be able to
- participate in the planning and implementation of multi-disiplinary engineering projects where hydraulic power systems are included
- can, by means of standards and relevant regulations, document and convey written technical reports on dimensioning and effect of such systems.
- Mandatory exercises
Limited admission to classes.
Exam registration requires that class registration is approved in the same semester. Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Engineering - Product and System Design (045PS)
Mechanical Engineering (BIMASKIN)
Renewable Energy (BIFOREN)
Ship Design (699SD)
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Machine Design
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"