Course - Master Thesis in Special Education - MGLU5227
MGLU5227 - Master Thesis in Special Education
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2020/2021
The student will plan and complete an independent research work relevant to the special education discipline. The work on the Master's thesis is based on a project plan that the student prepared in the compulsory project preparatory seminar in the topic "Professional research methodology". Additionally, the student can choose whether the research work should include empirical data or simply theory. The Masters thesis consists of the research report in which the student documents the work and presents his or her research findings. Through the Master's thesis, the student should, based on selected research questions, show insight into current research, theories, and research methods. The Master's thesis is written under supervision.
- has specialized knowledge within a limited area in special education
- has in-depth knowledge of the research process, from planning, through implementation, and to documentation of independent research work
- must be able to design and carry out a research project in accordance with current research ethics standards, under supervision
- must be able to familiarize him- or herself with research literature and theory that is relevant for conducting research within a limited area in special education.
- must be able to use relevant methods for special educational research in an independent manner
- must be able to find and relate critically to various sources of information
- can disseminate extensive independent research within the field
- critically assess different research work and its validity and relevance
- can apply insight from a chosen, specialized subject area relevant to special education, and contribute to the development of special education practice in school
Learning methods and activities
The development of ones own work under supervision, individually and/or in group.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Primary and Lower Secondary Teacher Education for Years 1-7 (MGLU1-7)
Primary and Lower Secondary Teacher Education for Years 5-10 (MGLU5-10)
Recommended previous knowledge
Pedagogy and student knowledge 4 or equivalent.
Required previous knowledge
The student must have passed "Introduction to special education" (30 ECTS), "Special educational opportunities and challenges in reading, writing and mathematics" (15 ECTS) or "Special education with emphasis on social and emotional challenges" (15 ECTS) and "Science theory and research method »(15 credits) before work on the Master's thesis can begin. The course is reserved for students with a right to study at primary school teacher education.
Credits: 30.0 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Teacher Education
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"