Course - East-Asia: International Politics - POL2019
POL2019 - East-Asia: International Politics
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2021/2022
The course focuses on East-Asian politics and society after the Cold War, the growth of techno-economic dynamics in East-Asia, the Asian financial crises of 1997-1998, the growth of regional multilateral institutions, East-Asia under unipolarity and the war on terror, the growth of China and its complex relationship with Japan and the USA and the East-Asian countries' relationship with Europe.
Knowledge - the student shall:
- know the political, economic and social characteristics of the countries in the Eastern-Asia area within recent times
- know the relationships between states in Eastern-Asia, especially China and Japan, and more generally, about the relationship between East-Asian states and the USA/Europe
Skills - the student shall demonstrate the ability to:
- use theory in order to shed light on current issues in the East-Asian politics and society and the relationships between the various countries and/or the USA/Europe
- demonstrate independence in the preparation of a semester assignment which fulfills the criteria for scientific writing
Learning methods and activities
2 hours of lectures per week and supervison of project work. Compulsory activity: Approved term paper (3000 words/8 pages).The language of instruction is English.
- Approved term paper
Further on evaluation
Form of assessment: 3 hours written exam.
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Recommended previous knowledge
Required previous knowledge
To be decided at the start of the course.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: English
- Social Studies
- Social Sciences
- Political Science
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Sociology and Political Science
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"