Course - Leadership - SOL420
SOL420 - Leadership
The course gives a broad and update introduction to leadership as a field of study. The academic content is based on the understanding of leadership as a complex contextual, relational, processual and emotional phenomenon. In addition to theoretical perspectives on leadership, guest lecturers provide supplementary insight into practical leadership issues in complex real-life contexts.
Thematic key words:
- Leadership in the digital age Leadership in Norway
- Emotions and leadership
- Relational leadership Leadership and communication
- Discoursive leadership
- Leadership and ethics
- Leading complexity
- Leading knowlegde-intentsive firms
- Leadership as sensemaking
- Leading creativity and innovation
- The dark sides of leadership
- Has in-depth and update knowledge of relevant theories and empirical fields in leadership.
- Has broad insight into relevant leadership issues and is able to apply the knowledge in new areas in a national, as well as an international context.
- Has solid knowledge on scientific methods in leadership research
- Is able to understand and analyze different leadership issues in a critical, reflective way.
- Is able to evaluate relevant procedures and reflect on choices made in decision making processes.
- Is able to update and apply knowledge and experience as a basis for professional and personal development throughout the professional career
- Is able to communicate on leadership issues, analyses, and conclusions across disciplines and business areas
- Has developed a sound basis for reflection on ethical issues and is able to lead in account with corporate social responsibility and sustainability
- Has a sound basis for leading in a digital context
- Is able to approach leadership literature and leadership trends in a critical, reflective way.
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, group work, plenary discussions, presentations. Active participation in group and plenary activities is emphasized.
Further on evaluation
Students who want to improve their grade in a course based on several assessments, may re-take the individual component assessment. For an new assessment in connection with a failing grade, the Faculty of Economics and Management has supplementary regulations.
Admission to study programme is required, see "special conditions".
Recommended previous knowledge
Kvålshaugen, R., Wennes, G., Nesse, J., Jørgensen, L., Longvanes, L., Skauge, T., & Åsgård, T. (2019). Organisere og lede : Dilemmaer i praksis (2. utgave. ed.). Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
Jacobsen, D., & Thorsvik, J. (2019). Hvordan organisasjoner fungerer (5. utgave. ed.). Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
Required previous knowledge
Cource literature will be announced at the start of the term
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2022
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Economics and Administration
Examination arrangement: Assignment and written examination
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Digital exam Room *
- Spring ORD Assignment 40/100 A INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- Spring ORD Written examination 60/100 E INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"