Course - Spanish Culture and History - SPA1402
SPA1402 - Spanish Culture and History
Examination arrangement: School exam
Grade: Letter grades
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
|School exam||100/100||4 hours||G|
This course gives an introduction to the country's culture, history and society. The course approaches selected topics of current interest through a variety of sources, such as historical documents, documentary movies and literary texts, as well as articles and secondary literature.
A candidate who has passed this course is expected to have obtained the following learning outcome in accordance with the description of the course in the course programme, defined as knowledge, skills and general competence:
- is expected to have a general knowledge about culture, history and society in Spain
- is expected to have obtained basic knowledge about terminology and use of sources when reading and writing about Spanish history and society
- is expected to be able to understand and interpret various types of Spanish texts
- is expected to be able to utilise his/her knowledge to reflect on and discuss important problems within the academic field Spanish history and cultural studies, both orally and in writing
- is expected to seek further knowledge within this academic field
- is expected to have gained insight into source criticism
- is expected to be able to perform analytic reasoning
- is expected to present and discuss problems, views and solutions, both orally and in writing
- is expected to be able to enter into a conversation with different people from other backgrounds
Learning methods and activities
Lectures and seminars. All lectures are held in Spanish.
The course involves a high degree of student activity, both through preparations at home and oral participation in lectures and seminars.
Mandatory activities may sometimes be handing in a multimedia file or independent work. This is decided by the lecturer and information about the compulsory assignments is given at the start of term. The compulsory activities may consist of several small assignments, in accordance with what the teacher decides. Both the written and oral work must be approved within the fixed deadlines for the student to be allowed to sit the exam. It is the responsibility of the student to keep informed about deadlines and requirements for this work.
Approved obligatory assignments are valid for 2 semesters (the semester in which the approval is given, plus the following semester). All obligatory assignments must be completed in the same semester.
- 1 oral activity
- 1 written assignment
Further on evaluation
The exam must be answered in Spanish. Information about which dictionaries or other aids students are allowed to consult during the exam will be made available at the beginning of the semester.
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Recommended previous knowledge
The course will be taught in Spanish. It is recommended that the students have previous knowledge of the language such as Spanish level II from upper secondary school or similar.
The reading list will be announced at the start of term. The teaching material is basically in Spanish, although literature in Norwegian or English may also be used.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Foundation courses, level I
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2023
Language of instruction: Spanish
- Cultural History
- Language and Literature
- Language Studies
Examination arrangement: School exam
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn ORD School exam 100/100 G 2022-12-08 15:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates SL311 brun sone Sluppenvegen 14 1
- Spring ORD School exam 100/100 G INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"