Course - Steel and Timber Structures - TBYG3011
TBYG3011 - Steel and Timber Structures
Examination arrangement: Home examination
|Evaluation form||Weighting||Duration||Examination aids||Grade deviation|
|Home examination||100/100||5 hours|
Common to steel and timber structures: Cross sectional capacity, buckling, lateral bucling combined with torsion, bolted connections. Especially for steel: Material properties for steel, plastic cross sectional capacity, torsion, welded connections.Especially for timber structures: Nail-, dowel- and bolted connections, curved beams.
Design of structures which are exposed to fire.
- must have established the necessary theoretical basis for projecting building structures in timber and steel.
- be familiar with research and development work within construction theory.
- can update his or hers knowledge in the field.
- has knowledge of the field's history, traditions and place in society.
- must have received the necessary training in capacity and stability calculations according to European standards (Eurocodes).
- be able to master relevant digital tools in calculating and analyzing structures.
- be able to find, evaluate and refer to information and subject matter and to present it so as to highlight a problem in the engineering field.
- must have gained good insight into the working of timber and steel structures.
- be able to plan and execute varied work tasks and projects both alone and as a participant in a group, and in accordance with ethical requirements and guidelines.
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, excursion and exercises
- Obligatoriske øvinger
Further on evaluation
Of a total of 7 exercises 5 must be approved before the exam.
Supporting Code / Aids at the examination:
Stålkonstruksjoner - Profiler og formler. Larsen, Clausen og Aalberg, Tapir, 1997 or later.
EN 1993-1-1: 2005 + NA: 2008. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Part 1-1. General rules for buildings.
EN 1993-1-8: 2005 + NA: 2009. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Part 1-8. Interchanges and connections.
EN 1995-1-1 Eurocode 5: Design of timber structures Part 1-1. General rules for buildings.
EN 1995-1-2 Eurocode 5: Design of timber structures Part 1-2. Fire design.
Permission is not your own notes, post or other additions to the original text of the aids, but marking / underlining of text allowed.
Calculator: Casio fx-82(different models), Citizen SR-270 (different models), Hewlett Packard HP30S.
Exam registration requires that class registration is approved in the same semester. Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Civil engineering (FTHINGBY)
Recommended previous knowledge
Mechanics of Materials (TBYG1003A)
Required previous knowledge
Access to the course presupposes admitted to Bachelor of Engineering, Engineering, NTNU, Trondheim. The course is restricted.
Per K. Larsen: Dimensjonering av stålkonstruksjoner, 2. utgave 2010 eller nyere, Tapir akademisk forlag. Stålkonstruksjoner - Profiler og formler. Larsen, Clausen og Aalberg, Tapir, 1997. John Eie: Trekonstruksjoner - Beregning og dimensjonering. NKI-forlaget, 2012. NS-EN 1993-1-1:2005 + NA:2008. Eurocode 3: Prosjektering av stålkonstruksjoner. Del 1-1. Allmenne regler for bygninger. NS-EN 1993-1-8:2005 + NA:2009. Eurocode 3: Prosjektering av stålkonstruksjoner. Del 1-8. Knutepunkter og forbindelser. NS-EN 1995-1-1 Eurocode 5: Prosjektering av trekonstruksjoner Del 1-1. Allmenne regler for bygninger. NS-EN 1995-1-2 Eurocode 5 : Prosjektering av trekonstruksjoner Del 1-2. Brannteknisk dimensjonering. Treteknisk håndbok: Mekaniske treforbindelser - dimensjonering, 5.utg 2007.
Credits: 10.0 SP
Study level: Third-year courses, level III
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2020
No.of lecture hours: 4
Lab hours: 2
No.of specialization hours: 10
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Engineering Subjects
Examination arrangement: Home examination
- Term Status code Evaluation form Weighting Examination aids Date Time Digital exam Room *
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"