Course - Interpreting with Practicum 2 - TEGN2013
TEGN2013 - Interpreting with Practicum 2
New from the academic year 2023/2024
Examination arrangement: Oral exam
Grade: Letter grades
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
|Oral exam||100/100||20 minutes||D|
TEGN2013 is based on and seen as connected to TEGN2002, TEGN2004, TEGN2007, TEGN2001, TEGN2003, TEGN2006, and is a continuation of TEGN2005. Students will continue to develop their interpreting skills both during teaching hours and during the practicum periods, with a particular focus on interpreting for and guiding deaf blind persons. Here, students must be able to show professional conduct by for example beginning to take responsibility for the communication situation by taking control for example of turn taking between participants. Students continue to work on strategies to prepare interpreting assignments, and to analyze and reflect on interpreting assignments they have conducted using professional concepts.
- can prepare for interpreting assignments systematically and holistically
- can interpret sequences simultaneously between Norwegian and Norwegian Sign language at an appropriate level for this stage of the education
- can describe, analyze and reflect on their own experiences from practicum periods using professional concepts
- can adapt their guiding and interpreting to persons with varying degrees of hearing loss and loss of eye sight
- can use knowledge about how to coordinate information to promote deaf persons' participation in situations
Learning methods and activities
- Preparation and interpreting exercises as well as post-assignment work. Video recorded interpreting is analyzed to develop skills in translation and interpreting. Pratcum and written and oral reflections as well as group discussions.
- 80% compulsory attendance. (Failure to comply with this can be compensated in accordance with instructions from the teacher.)
- Log writing from the practicum period in Nattmoeuver", an exercise to understand the challenges facing persons with varying degrees of hearing loss and loss of eyesight, this is usually conducted with the students in the second year.
- Practicum: There are two obligatory practicum periods in TEGN2013: a period of two weeks practicum at an interpreting workplace, where the aim is that the student will have tried to interpret in real interpreting situations. One week practicum with interpreting for and guiding persons with varying degrees of hearing loss and loss of eyesight, usually organized as a one week stay at Eikholt (a course center for people with combined sensory loss) in Drammen. There, students are required to interpret for and guide participants under supervision of experienced interpreters.
- For both periods of practicum students will get feed back on their own skills. Practicum is graded: Pass or Fail. Deaf students can have alternative practicum periods if there is a need for that.
(Further details on practicum only in Norwegian.)
- Participation in "Nightmanoeuver"
- Written assignment
- Practicum 2 weeks
- Practcum 1 week
- 80% compulsory attendance
Further on evaluation
Individual oral exam on interpreting and guidance for people with combined sensory loss. The exam takes place in the form of a conversation with a teacher and an external examiner lasting up to 20 minutes based on written logs and experiences from practicum periods. No examination aids allowed. Deaf students can have alternative exams if there is need for this.
It is not possible for students who have passed the exam in TEGN2013 to retake the exam in a semester where this course is not taught. Students who did not pass the exam, or who did not complete the exam due to illness may submit the exam in a semester where this course is not taught; however, they will not receive any supervision.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Norwegian Sign Language (LTBATGTOLK)
Required previous knowledge
Completed the second year of the BA-program in Norwegian Sign Language specialization interpreting, except Examen Philosophicum. Requires admission to the BA-program in Norwegian Sign Language.
Credits: 15.0 SP
Study level: Third-year courses, level III
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2023
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian, Norwegian Sign Language
- Norwegian Sign Language and Interpreting
Examination arrangement: Oral exam
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn ORD Oral exam 100/100 D 2023-12-05
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"