Course - Design of Marine Systems - TMR4254
TMR4254 - Design of Marine Systems
Examination arrangement: Assignment
Grade: Letter grades
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
The aim of this subject is to provide students with practice on designing a marine system by applying previous knowledge. Students are required to evaluate the need of acquiring new knowledge, and how to obtain it. Lectures on new essential topics will be provided. Students will receive tuition on how to carry out a market survey and how to develop, evaluate and choose ideas.
When finishing this course the student should be able to solve a design task of a marine system within a specified deadline. This involves:
- Perform a market study
- Develop ideas by using different methodologies for solving problems creatively
- Develop relevant design criteria and measures of merit. An evaluation of the projects sustainability must be performed.
- Perform a methodical evaluation of the ideas and concepts based on the design criteria
- Choose the best performing concept
- Select the main dimensions
- Develop their concept in more detail: the arrangement in general and the arrangement of the machinery based on the power requirements of the user profile
- Use software tools actively in the design process
- Solve the presented task in a group
- Organise the group according to the tasks presented, and report the progress
- Document the time used on different task
- Evaluate and document the design and the design process with text, drawings, models and calculations
Learning methods and activities
The students will be working in groups on an assignment. Lectures, supervision and tuition will be provided on the project.
Further on evaluation
The written and oral presentation of the semester project is the basis for the assessment of the course.
The work will be performed in groups. Every member of the project team must contribute equally to the result. All group members will receive the same grade unless a candidate contributes less than his/her fellow team members. In that case the examinator may grade this candidate individually.
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Industrial Economics and Technology Management (MTIØT) - some programmes
Marine Technology (MIMART)
Marine Technology (MTMART)
Recommended previous knowledge
TMR4310 - Machinery, or TMR4335 - Marine Technology - Propulsion Systems, Safety and Environment, or similar courses
Required previous knowledge
Marine Technology - Elementary Course (TMR4105), - Structures (TMR4167), - Hydrodynamics (TMR4247), or similar courses
Kai Levander: Compendium in System Based Ship Design Lecure notes and selected articles.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Third-year courses, level III
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2023
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Design Methodology
- Safety, Reliability and Maintenance
- Marine Operation and Maintenance Engineering
- Aqua Culture
- Marine System Design
- Marine Engineering
- Marine Structures
- Marine Hydrodynamics
Examination arrangement: Assignment
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Spring ORD Assignment 100/100
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"