Labs and Facilities
The Department of Product Design has its own building on the Gløshaugen campus at NTNU. This modern facility houses a variety of studios, workshops and equipment for working with wood, metal, plastic, and media.
- for drawing and work with cardboard and textiles
- photographer's studio with flashlamps, reflectors and blue wall
- ideal for workshops and seminars
Classroom / Studios
Each class has its own studio, approximately 75 square meters in size, complete with drawing tables and lockable bookcases, as well as a common area furnished wtih tables and chairs. Network connections for private computers and laptops are available.
The main workshop can be used to create models in wood, foam, metal or plastic.
- wood and foam division: including band saws, circular saws, lathe.
- metal division: including equipment for welding and turning
- polymer division: including equipment for injection moulding and vacuum pulling
- spray-paint shop with suction
- electronics division
- laser cutter
- One large and several smaller 3D printers
- Oculus Rift 3D VR glasses
- Leap Motion controller
- Silverback usability testing
- 2 x Mirametrix eyetracking equipment
- 25" touchscreen
- large Wacon tablet
- Human Cad 3D analysis software
- 2x Gert Aging Simulators, wheelchair, etc.
Students should feel free to use the lab for private projects in their spare time.
- facilities for music- and video editing
- DV camera and sound equipment for loan
- 2 powerful PCs with double screens + iMac
The department has dedicated computer labs in addition to the common NTNU PC labs.
- up-to-date machines, totalling around 30 PCs
- scanners, 3D-scanners, slide scanner, copymachine, color and black and white plotters, laminating machine for postermaking
- a large collection of state-of-the-art 2D and 3D, and ergonomi software.