Background and activities
- Translation Studies (translation of pragmatic phenomena (e.g. swearing); audiovisual translation, translation of/and humour, song translation, translation and society)
- Sociolinguistics (English as a global language, the spread of English via popular cultrue, language choice in Norwegian/Scandinavian popular music, Norwegian/English code-switching)
- Pragmatics (flouting, implicature, intercultural communication)
In 2012 I released a CD with my own translations into Norwegian of a selection of songs from Billie Holiday's reportoire. The CD can be bought on iTunes, or you can send me an email to request a physical copy.
In addition to publishing articles for a broader audience in the daily press, appearing on radio and giving talks at various kinds of event (see CRIStin), I sometimes publish short articles on my blog, on the topic of 'English in Norway' (in Norwegian).
- ENG3123 Translation
- ENG1001 Global English
- ENG2501 Global English and Popular Culture
I supervise MA theses and PhD dissertations within all three areas outlined above. This is a list of MA theses I have supervised within the field of Translation Studies: https://innsidawls.itea.ntnu.no/syndicator-web/public/files/992d8c5d-0944-36d9-b535-0b024fe2aa31. If you have an idea for a project, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2012) Attracting international students by means of the web: Transadaptation, domestication and cultural suppression. International Journal of the Sociology of Language. volum 216.
- (2011) Translating breaches of intersubjective constraints on interaction: The case of swearing in Roddy Doyle's novel The Commitments. Meta : Journal des traducteurs. volum 56 (3).
- (2009) Gricean theory and linguicism: Infringements and physical violence in the relationship between Manuel and Basil Fawlty. Journal of Pragmatics. volum 41 (3).
- (2009) Towards a new theory of flouting. Journal of Pragmatics. volum 41 (11).
- (2004) MT in the EU: Globalization, gisting, and the increasing acceptance of context-heavy interpretation. Translation Studies in the New Millennium: An International Journal of Translation and Interpreting. volum 2.
- (2003) Monologism and dialogism in machine and human translation. Translation Studies in the New Millennium: An International Journal of Translation and Interpreting. volum 1.
- (2013) Billie Holiday p? nynorsk: Minikonsert. Billie Holiday p? nynorsk
- (2013) Inderleg og bl?tt: Konsert. null
- (2012) Eg vandrar langs kaiane - releasekonsert. null
- (2012) Konsert med sanger fra Billie Holidays repertoir oversatt til nynorsk. Sanger fra Billie Holidays repertoir
- (2012) Konsert med sanger fra Billie Holidays reportoir p? norsk, p? Familien. Ulike verker med ulike opphavsmenn/kvinner
- (2011) Konsert med sanger fra Billie Holidays repertoir p? norsk v/?pningen av Olav H. Hauge-senteret i Ulvik, Hardanger. null
- (2011) Konsert med sanger fra Billie Holidays repertoir p? norsk, under Dei Nynorske Festspela i Volda. Ulike verker med ulike opphavsmenn/kvinner
- (2011) Sanger fra Billie Holidays repertoir p? norsk. Konsert p? Teatercaf?en, Tr?ndelag Teater. Ulike verker med ulike opphavsmenn/kvinner
- (2010) Billie Holiday p? norsk. null
Part of book/report
- (2014) Billie Holiday, authenticity and translation. Jazz, Gender, Authenticity: Proceedings of the 10th Nordic Jazz Research Conference.
- (2014) Scandinavian Popular Song Translations in the Late Twentieth and Early Twenty-First Centuries and Their Skopoi. True North: Literary Translation in the Nordic Countries.
- (2013) The knowledgeable audience as critic: An empirical study of folk perceptions of good and bad translations in subtitles. Translation Right or Wrong.
- (2011) The non-translation of swearing in subtitling: Loss of social implicature?. Audiovisual Translation in Close-up: Practical and theoretical approaches.
- (2009) 'Another way of saying the same thing': Gricean nondetachability and translation. Language in Lifte, and a Life in Language: Jacob Mey, A Festschrift.