Background and activities
Bjarne Foss (born 1957) has been a professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics since 1989. He has a PhD in Engineering Cybernetics and an MSc in Electrical Engineering from NTNU. He belongs to the research group Process Control Systems.
- 1989– Full professor at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU
- 2007– Area manager at the IO center at NTNU
Other current duties
- 2002–2005 and 2009– Board member, NTNU
- 2000– Board member, Cybernetica AS
- 2013– Board member, Solution Seeker AS
- Modeling, control and optimization in the upstream petroleum industries
- Production optimization
- Well monitoring
- Model predictive control
- Model based control and optimization
Main supervisor for 26 completed PhD degrees. Project leader for several national industry development projects. Project leader in three international development projects (for ESA1 and EU).
250 refereed journal papers, conference publications and book-chapters.
H-factor 30, 4000 citations (http://scholar.google.no/citations?user=-d7XYwsAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao)
Co-author of one book. Guest editor Journal of Process Control, Int.J.Control and MIC.
A substantial number of restricted technical reports and international keynotes and invited lectures.
- 1990- Review of a substantial number of scientific papers
- 1993- Member The Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA)
- 1994- Chair, co-chair and member of several IPCs (International Program Comittees)
- 1996- Member IFAC Technical Committee on Chemical Process Control
- 1996- Associate editor - Journal of Process Control
- 1996-2004 Member editorial board - Mathematical Modelling
- 1997- Senior Member IEEE
- 2007- Member SPE
- 2008- Member of the The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (founded 1760)
- 2000 Co-founder – Cybernetica AS
- 2000 Co-founder FIRST Scandinavia
- 2013 Co-founder – Solution Seeker AS
- 1980: “Innstilling” awarded for the siv.ing. (MSc) degree–communicated to the Norwegian King.
- 1995: The Karl Diesel Best Paper Award from the Society of Design & Process Science, Austin, Texas.
- 2007: Award for pedagogical innovation “Pedagogisk nybrottsarbeid” by Tekna -The Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals
- 2010: 2010 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
- 2011: 2011 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) A mean-variance objective for robust production optimization in uncertain geological scenarios. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 125.
- (2015) Optimal Switching Time Control of Petroleum Reservoirs. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 131.
- (2015) MPC-based dual control with online experiment design. Journal of Process Control. vol. 32.
- (2015) Well Testing by Sinusoidal Stimulation. SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering. vol. 18 (3).
- (2014) A nonlinear, adaptive observer for gas-lift wells operating under slowly varying reservoir pressure. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2014) Lagrangian relaxation based decomposition for well scheduling in shale-gas systems. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 63.
- (2014) On MINLP Heuristics for Solving Shale-well Scheduling Problems. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19 (1).
- (2014) Shale-gas scheduling for natural-gas supply in electric power production. Energy. vol. 78.
- (2014) Adjoint-based surrogate optimization of oil reservoir water flooding. Optimization and Engineering. vol. 16 (2).
- (2013) Waterflooding optimization in uncertain geological scenarios. Computational Geosciences. vol. 17 (6).
- (2013) Differentiation Tool Efficiency Comparison for Nonlinear Model Predictive Control Applied to Oil Gathering Systems. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 9 (1).
- (2013) Ph.d.-utdanning innen ingeniørfag. UNIPED. vol. 36 (4).
- (2013) Embedding structural information in simulation-based optimization. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 53.
- (2013) Boundary control for a class of pseudo-parabolic differential equations. Systems & control letters (Print). vol. 62 (1).
- (2013) Optimization of Oil Production under Gas Coning Conditions. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 105.
- (2013) An Adaptive Model Predictive Dual Controller. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 11 (1).
- (2013) An MPC Approach to Dual Control. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 10 (1).
- (2013) Use of Time-Varying Oil Price in Short-term Production Optimization for a Reservoir. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 10 (1).
- (2013) Shut-in based production optimization of shale-gas systems. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 58.
- (2013) Lagrangian Relaxation Based Production Optimization of Tight-formation Wells. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.