Postal addressDepartment of Energy and Process Engineering Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
- Environmental engineering
- Risk analysis
- Industrial Ecology
- Petroleum , energy and environment
- Energy policy
- Environmental Systems Analysis
- Life Cycle Assessment
- Power Sources
- Energy use
Background and activities
I am a Professor of Energy and Process Engineering and director of the Industrial Ecology Program at NTNU. I am a member of the International Resource Panel , where I lead the Working Group on the Environmental Impacts of Products and Materials. I have contributed to the IPCC 5th assessment report as a lead author of the energy systems chapter and the methods annex, as well as a contributor to the Technical Summary and the Summary for Policy makers. Further, I have contributed to the Global Energy Assessment. I am a member of the editorial board of Environmental Science & Technology, the Journal of Industrial Ecology, and the Journal of Economic Structure.
My research interests cover climate mitigation, life cycle assessment, sustainable consumption and production, trade and environment, and risk analysis. I am interested in understanding how activities in our society produce environmental pressures, the dynamics in our development that affect these driving forces and their resulting environmental pressures, and alternative courses of action that can reduce these pressures. What is the connection between human activities on the one hand and emissions and resource use on the other hand? What are the implications of our current development path? What do we need to change, both in terms of individual actions and policy frameworks, to achieve a more sustainable development?
I teach Energy and Environmental Consequences, a Master seminar, and a PhD course in Environmental Systems Analysis. Most of my Master students come from the International MSc Program in Industrial Ecology and the 5-year Master of Energy and Environmental Engineering Program. Several of my MSc students have done work that has subsequently been published in the scientific literature.
I was born in Salzburg, Austria. I have an engineering degree from the HTL Braunau, an Bachelor in physics (Magna Cum Laude) from Princeton University, and an MSc and PhD in energy & ressources from the University of California, Berkeley.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Life cycle assessment of an offshore grid interconnecting wind farms and customers across the North Sea. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. volum 19 (4).
- (2014) Climate policy through changing consumption choices: Options and obstacles for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Global Environmental Change. volum 25 (1).
- (2014) Integrated life-cycle assessment of electricity-supply scenarios confirms global environmental benefit of low-carbon technologies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America.
- (2014) Grid infrastructure for renewable power in Europe: The environmental cost. Energy. volum 69.
- (2014) Dynamic Models of Fixed Capital Stocks and Their Application in Industrial Ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology.
- (2014) Labor Embodied in Trade: The Role of Labor and Energy Productivity and Implications for Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Journal of Industrial Ecology.
- (2014) Effects of Sector Aggregation on CO2 Multipliers in Multiregional Input-Output Analyses. Economic Systems Research. volum 26 (3).
- (2014) Ecological footprint of nations: Comparison of process analysis, and standard and hybrid multiregional input-output analysis. Ecological Economics. volum 101.
- (2013) The Importance of Ships and Spare Parts in LCAs of Offshore Wind Power. Environmental Science and Technology. volum 47 (6).
- (2013) Global climate targets and future consumption level: an evaluation of the required GHG intensity. Environmental Research Letters. volum 8 (1).
- (2013) Addressing Biogenic Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Hydropower in LCA. Environmental Science and Technology. volum 47 (17).
- (2013) Environmental evaluation of power transmission in Norway. Applied Energy. volum 101.
- (2013) Investigating the Carbon Footprint of a University - The case of NTNU. Journal of Cleaner Production. volum 48.
- (2013) Assessment of Low Carbon Energy Technologies: Fossil Fuels and CCS. Energy Procedia. volum 37.
- (2013) Adoption and diffusion of heating systems in Norway: Coupling agent-based modeling with empirical research. Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions. volum 8.
- (2013) Affluence drives the global displacement of land use. Global Environmental Change. volum 23 (2).
- (2013) Economic modelling and indicators in life cycle sustainability assessment. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. volum 18 (9).
- (2012) Assessing the life cycle environmental impacts of wind power: A review of present knowledge and research needs. Renewable & sustainable energy reviews. volum 16 (8).
- (2012) Life cycle assessment of a single-family residence built to either conventional- or passive house standard. Energy and Buildings. volum 54.
- (2012) Life cycle assessment for electricity transmission and distribution - part 1: power lines and cables. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. volum 17 (1).