Background and activities
Hans K. Stenøien
I am working with questions related to evolution of biological diversity, speciation in peat mosses (Sphagnum) and human history.
I am leader of the Systematics and Evolution Group (SEG) at the NTNU University Museum.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Novel microsatellite markers for Dalechampia scandens (Euphorbiaceae) and closely related taxa: application to studying a species complex. Plant Species Biology. vol. 32 (2).
- (2017) Euglossine bees mediate only limited long-distance gene flow in a tropical vine. New Phytologist. vol. 213 (4).
- (2017) Divergent evolution and niche diff erentiation within the common peatmoss Sphagnum magellanicum. American Journal of Botany. vol. 104 (7).
- (2016) Long-distance dispersal and barriers shape genetic structure of peatmosses (Sphagnum) across the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Biogeography. vol. 43 (6).
- (2016) Spatial Genetic Structure of the Abundant and Widespread Peatmoss Sphagnum magellanicum Brid. PLoS ONE. vol. 11 (2).
- (2015) Lake sediment multi-taxon DNA from North Greenland records early post-glacial appearance of vascular plants and accurately tracks environmental changes. Quaternary Science Reviews. vol. 117.
- (2015) Evolution of niche preference in Sphagnum peat mosses. Evolution. vol. 69 (1).
- (2015) The dark morph of Sphagnum fuscum (Schimp.) H. Klinggr. In Europe is conspecific with the North American S. beothuk. Journal of Bryology. vol. 37 (4).
- (2015) Reconstructing the invasion history of Heracleum persicum (Apiaceae) into Europe. Molecular Ecology. vol. 24 (22).
- (2015) Phylogenetic structure and biogeography of the Pacific Rim clade of Sphagnum subgen. Subsecunda: Haploid and allodiploid taxa. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. vol. 116 (2).
- (2015) Pleistocene survival, regional genetic structure and interspecific gene flow among three northern peat-mosses: Sphagnum inexspectatum, S. orientale and S. miyabeanum. Journal of Biogeography. vol. 42 (2).
- (2015) Highly overlapping winter diet in two sympatric lemming species revealed by DNA metabarcoding. PLoS ONE. vol. 10 (1).
- (2014) Contrasting Patterns of Genetic Structuring in Natural Populations of Arabidopsis lyrata Subsp. petraea across Different Regions in Northern Europe. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (9).
- (2014) Seed dispersal in time can counteract the effect of gene flow between natural populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist. vol. 202 (3).
- (2014) Glacial refugia and post-glacial colonization patterns in European bryophytes. Lindbergia. vol. 37.
- (2014) Intercontinental genetic structure in the amphi-Pacific peatmoss Sphagnum miyabeanum (Bryophyta: Sphagnaceae). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. vol. 111 (1).