Background and activities
- Cand polit (MSc) University of Bergen - 1985
- PhD University of Bergen - 1994 Hospital Efficiency in Norway: A Nonparametric Analysis", Dissertations in Economics, 6, University of Bergen
- Researcher/Senior researcher/ research director SINTEF - 1986-2004
- Professor in health economics at the Department of Public Health and General Practice since 2005
- Professor II in health economics at the University of Oslo since 2007
- Head of department at the Department of Public Health and General Practice, NTNU since 1.8 2009
- Organization and financing of health care services.
- Comparative health policy and health systems research.
- Productivity and efficiency in the health care sector.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Productivity growth, case mix and optimal size of hospitals. A 16-year study of the Norwegian hospital sector. Health Policy. vol. 121 (4).
- (2017) Alle til lags ... om fordeling av inntekter mellom helseforetak. Michael. vol. 14.
- (2017) Organisatoriske forhold og løsninger i spesialisthelsetjenesten – hva mener sykehuslegene?. Michael. vol. 14.
- (2016) Economic incentives and diagnostic coding in a public health care system. International Journal of Health Economics and Management.
- (2016) Factors associated with the amount of public home care received by elderly and intellectually disabled individuals in a large Norwegian municipality. Health & Social Care in the Community. vol. 24 (3).
- (2016) Physical disability and cognitive impairment among recipients of long-term care. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. vol. 6 (7).
- (2016) Psychiatric readmissions and their association with environmental and health system characteristics: a systematic review of the literature. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 16 (376).
- (2015) A randomised controlled study of the long-term effects of exercise training on mortality in elderly people: Study protocol for the generation 100 study. BMJ Open. vol. 5 (2).
- (2014) Variations in levels of care between nursing home patients in a public health care system. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 14 (108).
- (2013) Life After STroke – the LAST study. Cerebrovascular Diseases. vol. 35.
- (2012) A long term follow up programme for maintenance of motor funnction after stroke: Protocol of the Life After STroke- The LAST Study. Stroke Research and Treatment. vol. 2012.
- (2012) Do hospitals perform better when they are led by doctors? Evidence on costs, efficiency and medical quality. European Journal of Public Health. vol. 22.
- (2012) Are fear avoidance beliefs associated with abdominal muscle activation outcome for patients with low back pain?. Physiotherapy Research International.
- (2012) Is activation of transversus abdominis and obliquus internus abdominis associated with long-term changes in chronic low back pain? A prospective study with 1-year follow-up. British Journal of Sports Medicine. vol. 46.
- (2011) Resisting market-inspired reform in healthcare: The role of professional subcultures in medicine. Social Science and Medicine. vol. 73 (2).
- (2011) Cost efficiency of university hospitals in the Nordic countries: a cross-country analysis. European Journal of Health Economics. vol. 12 (6).
- (2011) Effect of in-hospital comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA) in older people with hip fracture. The protocol of the Trondheim Hip Fracture Trial. BMC Geriatrics.
- (2010) How different are hospitals' responses to a financial reform? The impact on efficiency of activity-based financing. Health Care Management Science. vol. 13 (1).
- (2010) Productivity growth in outpatient child and adolescent mental health services: The impact of case-mix adjustment. Social Science and Medicine. vol. 70 (3).
- (2010) Measuring cost efficiency in the Nordic Hospitals-a cross-sectional comparison of public hospitals in 2002. Health Care Management Science. vol. 13 (4).