Background and activities
I am Professor of Visual Culture in the Department of Art and Media Studies. I completed my education in the UK, where I studied photography and multimedia at the University of Westminster (BA Hons), and history of art at Birkbeck College, London (MA and PhD).
I teach across the BA and MA programmes in media studies, and I'm particularly committed to fostering my students' academic writing and research skills through my teaching and supervision.
- Photography and archives
- Materialist media ecology («green media studies»)
- Digitization theory
- Copyright in/and visual culture
Selected research projects
Digitization and Diversity: Potentials and Challenges for Diversity in the Culture and Media Sector - a collaborative project with the Norwegian Business School, Handelshøyskolen BI, supported by the Research Council of Norway through its KULMEDIA programme.
Remaking Media Ecology - a collaborative project with Jon Raundalen which explores how an environmentally aware media studies might look.
- Chair of the departmental research committee (2016).
- Programme leader in Media Studies (2014-).
- Representative on the departmental research committee (2013–).
- Programme leader in Film and Visual Media Studies (2010).
Recent conferences and seminars
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2013) "Ikke sint, bare veldig skuffet": Om barn, miljø og medieteknologi. Norsk Medietidsskrift. vol. 20 (4).
- (2013) Ordering, Searching, Finding. Journal of Visual Culture. vol. 12 (3).
- (2011) Robert Doisneau and the Making of a Universal Cliché. History of Photography. vol. 35 (2).
- (2015) Media and the ecological crisis. Routledge. 2015. ISBN 978-0-415-70923-1.
- (2013) Representational Machines: Photography and the Production of Space. Aarhus Universitetsforlag. 2013. ISBN 9788771241655.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Media Ecology Recycled. Media and the ecological crisis.
- (2013) The photographic image in digital archives. The Photographic Image in Digital Culture.
- (2009) Flytande fotografier - originalitet och upphovsrätt i det digitala arkivet. I bildarkivet. Om fotografi och digitaliseringens effekter.
- (2015) The Ecology of Photography: Archive, Infrastructure, Environment. À partir d'aujourd'hui... Reconsidering Post-Photography . Concordia University; Montreal. 2015-10-01 - 2015-10-03.
- (2015) Flatscreening Football: Ecological Perspectives on Electronic Spectatorship. European College of Sports Science 20th Congress . ECSS; Malmö. 2015-06-24 - 2015-06-27.